Pages:
Author

Topic: Can we agree BTC is not a store of value? - page 6. (Read 774 times)

Activity: 1372
Merit: 322
Other than GOLD every stock market and commodities have been affected by Corona. Gold was affected less because of its wide acceptance while BTC is not that widely accepted. I never used to see BTC as store of value although. It was always a currency to the inner me.
The recent drop was not only from the corona virus affect, there are some other issues which you must have to account before a calculation.
Activity: 1498
Merit: 129
If you have stored your values in gold or even diamond, it would have been otherwise because the world is facing a global crisis and not the only bitcoin is affected but also other assets. The global stock markets are affected and this is what is trending since the rise of the coronavirus. I am sure if the price of bitcoin pumps up in a few days and goes above the peak it has reached this year, you will come here to say otherwise.
Activity: 1400
Merit: 269
Nothing is set in stone, did you not notice that when the stocks fell and still continues to crash even today. Bitcoin also came down it's obvious to me that many stock traders and Institutional investors are heavily invested. If the current financial system falls down, with the bloody market they're experiencing and continues loses. They will surely look at Bitcoin as a good store if value.
Activity: 1638
Merit: 122
but who said it is  ? people and wanabe investors  ?  even the owner himself didnt mention anything related to it but he only claim that btc is a kind of digital currency  or can act as a payment method , nothing more nothing less  .

he didnt claim that its a form of store value because the owner already know that bitcoin will become volatile   but people then eventually labeled bitcoin as one it just because they see btc is increasing and sticking on its value for quite some time     . 
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521
Nothing is a store of value at the moment. Global markets are down, gold, silver, copper and platinum are down, oil and gasoline are down, corn, wheat, cocoa, and coffee are down, futures are down, FTSE, CAC, DAX, IBEX, Hang Seng, Nikkei, Shanghai, RTS, ASX are all down.

Fiat currencies seem to be holding up just fine. Smiley

Everything is decimated at the moment, but the Fed have moved too early and are now out of ammo. They have nowhere to go from here other than printing even more money even faster than they already are, or negative interest rates, which will be a disaster for them.

I'll admit I'm concerned at how quickly the Fed slashed to zero rates and how little the markets reacted. At the same time, I see lots of parallels to the 1987 crash and my gut tells me the corona virus panic will subside soon.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
I think everything is just going down atm, and although btc has been down for quite a while I think that the current drop cannot be attributed to bitcoin by itself. Rather just the economy as a whole has taken a toll and bitcoin is included in the mess. I think bitcoin is an innovation in thinking and business rather than storing someones value.

Nothing is going down, just fiat money suddenly get a pump. Value is all relative, when EUR/USD exchange rate crashed, you can't say if it is EURO get cheaper or USD get more expensive

The real problem is that people use fiat money to count value, thus fiat money automatically become the stable store of value without government doing anything. Once this mindset is changed, things will be interesting, but so far, almost no one have the ability to understand this
Activity: 324
Merit: 17
Bitflate developer
Long-term, Bitcoin is a Store of Value.

Short-term, Bitcoin is a speculative asset.

By long-term, I mean the time horizon is 5-10 years (more than 1 halving). This is my current thesis. We can divide Bitcoin owners into two groups: long-term hodlers and short-term traders. The groups are somewhat fluid. Some hodlers switch to trading. Some traders switch to holding.

Bitcoin's price movement is mostly controlled by traders in the short-term. But in the long-term, hodlers will ultimately decide the price movement. Bitcoin price long-term has been up. That suggests a growing number of hodlers. Data also suggests growing hodlers.

People will move their money around. Know your long-term timeline. Ignore short-term price movement.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
The whole narrative Bitcoin is a store of value has change because of the corona pandemic. We haven't seen this before, and we really don't know how to react. Even the traditional global markets is also reacting negatively isn't it? So currently, with the obvious dump, I would say yes, it could not be considered as a store of value. But nevertheless, in the future, when we have this kind of crisis again, maybe the whole context will change.

If Bitcoin was 100 years old and this was the first time it had happened then I think people would be more justified in feeling a little surprised. Since it didn't even exist the last time the world creamed its knickers I have little sympathy for anyone who's profoundly shocked by this.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1353
The whole narrative Bitcoin is a store of value has change because of the corona pandemic. We haven't seen this before, and we really don't know how to react. Even the traditional global markets is also reacting negatively isn't it? So currently, with the obvious dump, I would say yes, it could not be considered as a store of value. But nevertheless, in the future, when we have this kind of crisis again, maybe the whole context will change.
Activity: 542
Merit: 251
I think everything is just going down atm, and although btc has been down for quite a while I think that the current drop cannot be attributed to bitcoin by itself. Rather just the economy as a whole has taken a toll and bitcoin is included in the mess. I think bitcoin is an innovation in thinking and business rather than storing someones value.
Activity: 1554
Merit: 116
0xe25ce19226C3CE65204570dB8D6c6DB1E9Df74AC
Of course the real store of value is nothing other than you as a men.

Property price soar to the record high and women can just scream “racist” and dozen of men will line up willingly to obligated and provide free housing to the women, but what can men do when facing such discrimination and they have to work their ass out of this hardship to get to what women can get with just crying “discriminate”, men has to work so many productive hours to afford a house that is flipped to the moon, that’s crying out loud but nobody will give a damn when you’re men.

I also despise the facts that women had it easy when it came to sex and relationships. Whereas women could sleep around easily, I would even feel jealous of their multiple sexcapades at such a young age, and they never had to improve themselves to enjoy the perks of a rich dating life. So basically I had to go through years of unprogramming, unlearning, studying game, learning escalation, working out, build muscle, eating right, facing countless rejection etc, just to get to where they already were all their lives.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
Can we agree BTC is not a store of value?

Of course is not if on average change value for few % every day. It will take many many years before Bitcoin will become stable currency to be store of value.
Activity: 1918
Merit: 370
One day it has the potential to be that one day. All the necessary elements are present.

As for the present fuck nooooo.
I can't get it no, are you guys only sees bitcoin if the price is above $10K? a store of value when high and not when it is low?
It's a toy, a bet and a plaything to obtain more dollars in the minds of most. I'm not sure who'll be left if most of those people clear off but they'll be back just as quickly if it's looking sunny.
Okay I see, you guys are just making bitcoin a playable investment as most of the people in here but wouldn't it not be too obvious if you call it not a store of value as of the moment because of the its current state? That is why it is called cryptocurrency , a currency in it, wasn't made for investment but it became when the volatility over take. Hope the crisis ends.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1273
What I understand is: Look at this situation in an extremely different manner. Think of this as an opportunity.

Fear is what it takes for such situations to arise, just think, why the markets are dooming ATM? Think for a moment, if I were you, I'd definitely take a big advantage of this rampant situation and go all in over everything, from Gold to Stocks, from Alts to BTC. Just think that when the dust settles, what will you be with. You'll turn a penny into a pound with just minimum patience (considering that you don't encounter with this disease). And for everyone's information (real info and not-so-fake one that you're hearing through media), go find out cases which died through Coronavirus, you'll see that people above 50 and mostly >60 have died due to this and all the severe cases have around 85% of old aged people only, so this is not going to affect those with better immunity systems if - Either diagnosed at right time or - have taken correct measures like handwashing for 20 seconds every 3 hours, using a mask if necessary, use a tissue paper to cover the mouth while sneezing.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
Of course it is, still worth more than 160 barrel of brent oil per coin

If people can get rid of the habit of using fiat money to measure value of other things, then it is easier to see the truth
Activity: 2520
Merit: 624
From the beginning and during the bull, bitcoin has not been considered as store of value for many. The criticism of this is because of its rate of increase and decrease. Just as the present, the price have kept falling and not having a stop because no indices or policy on it to cause a stop.
Activity: 2884
Merit: 794
I am terrible at Fantasy Football!!!
Listen to this podcast.
https://unconfirmed.libsyn.com/coronavirus-how-it-will-impact-bitcoin-and-the-halving-ep116
However much you want it to be, BTC is NOT a store of value.  It has been a few years since $20K and even now, each peak is smaller than the previous peak.  Probably be $3K by the end of the week.
Bitcoin was not designed to be a store of value under the present circumstances, however I can assure you that in the case we go through an hyperinflation bitcoin together with gold will be one of the few assets that will outpace or at least keep up with the rate of inflation making it a store of value, and it seems that day is getting closer as Central Banks are really running out of options and the only weapon they have left to try to stabilize the situation is to print more money.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
One day it has the potential to be that one day. All the necessary elements are present.

As for the present fuck nooooo.

It's a toy, a bet and a plaything to obtain more dollars in the minds of most. I'm not sure who'll be left if most of those people clear off but they'll be back just as quickly if it's looking sunny.
copper member
Activity: 2324
Merit: 2142
Slots Enthusiast & Expert
If Bitcoin can be mainstream P2P cash, I would say NOT YET*. However, if it still used as a speculative asset, similar to stocks and metals, it will follow thereof price movements.

*No cash/assets can be 100% store of value in an extreme situation since the price is relative. Read about the diamond and water paradox, about how a glass of water can be more valuable than a diamond when you desperately need to drink. That said, when there is a world war or similar crisis, basic needs will be more expensive than anything.
Activity: 1313
Merit: 278
I don’t think that we will reach $ 3000 again. In any case, if this happens, it will be the lowest mark, because the last time we were on it for a long time, and did not go down.
I believe we will stop at $ 4000 and will be on them until the crisis ends.
Pages:
Jump to: