Pages:
Author

Topic: Can we please fix the thread subject hijacking? - page 2. (Read 469 times)

legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262
BTC or BUST
Ha ha, I just now noticed, now that I read this thread I'm thinking "Hmm, Nullius does this a lot" and check that last thread..

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5221450.20

Kinda funny and it seems nobody really checks it.. I rarely notice changes in titles like that and it looks like he got almost everyone in the thread..
Activity: 372
Merit: 39
Ditty! £ $ ₹ € ¥ ¢ ≠ ÷ ™
Somehow I can't see it catching on
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958
First Exclusion Ever
Can't that be seen as an opportunity rather than calling it a hijack? I mean what is the problem even if someone changes it (I know that all the replies ahead will have the same title added below if a poster doesn't notice the change). I still see it as a way to use it as a subject of what you are going to say, so you need to describe less in your content box here (well everyone thinks differently) but alike TP, I've also not noticed any such abusive instances for the same. Can you bring attention to some here?

The only difference will be when some one quotes another user, the subject is automatically a mirror of the op so that people don't inadvertently perpetuate the subject heading of others not posting the op heading. Nothing is stopping you from editing your subject heading if you so choose. I am not interested in providing examples as all it will do is serve the users perpetuating these kind of hijackings (hint: some of them are here, also note this reply heading).
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1273
Can't that be seen as an opportunity rather than calling it a hijack? I mean what is the problem even if someone changes it (I know that all the replies ahead will have the same title added below if a poster doesn't notice the change). I still see it as a way to use it as a subject of what you are going to say, so you need to describe less in your content box here (well everyone thinks differently) but alike TP, I've also not noticed any such abusive instances for the same. Can you bring attention to some here?
legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
This flaw is too often abused.
I ask this seriously: is it really abused that often?  Maybe I haven't noticed it because it's a problem in sections I don't visit that you do (like P&S, which I think you post in), but I haven't seen members changing the thread title all that much.  Or it could be that I'm just not paying attention to it since there's really no need to.

I think when you brought this up last time I supported the idea and I still do.  It's a small change, but there's really no reason why someone ought to be able to modify a thread's title in their post.  Having a title for your post on any discussion board is annoying and unnecessary, especially if you're required to put something in that field--and on bitcointalk I don't see any reason why we even need a title repeated with every post.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
Again, I don't mean remove the ability to edit it, I mean by default it copies the OP heading.
AFAIK, the subject heading does copy that of the OP when someone replies to it. Then one can change it if they want to. The subject heading above this reply now mirrors that of your original post without me editing it.
Is that what you mean or am I getting it wrong?
Read the title of my post. This is what he means.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 2174
Professional Community manager
Again, I don't mean remove the ability to edit it, I mean by default it copies the OP heading.
AFAIK, the subject heading does copy that of the OP when someone replies to it. Then one can change it if they want to. The subject heading above this reply now mirrors that of your original post without me editing it.
Is that what you mean or am I getting it wrong?

Edit:
Read the title of my post. This is what he means.
It took me a while to get the point. I believe the OP was asking for a feature that allows replies to show the original thread title and not that of the post it is quoting, even if the quoted post has an edited title.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958
First Exclusion Ever
As I have requested before, a feature that automatically quotes the subject of the OP would be a preferable default than the one that currently exists. It is way too easy for users to make their own subject heading that others will mindlessly quote, thus hijacking the subject heading and distracting from and confusing the subject of the topic. Can we please finally get this fixed by making a subject heading automatically mirror the op? Again, I don't mean remove the ability to edit it, I mean by default it copies the OP heading. This flaw is too often abused.

EDIT: I am really not sure exactly what is so hard to understand about this concept. I am not suggesting locking the subject heading or preventing people from editing it if they so choose. All I am suggesting, is that when people reply, instead of quoting the subject heading of what they reply to, it quotes the subject heading of the original post, which then if they so choose they can edit anyway. This filters out the ability for people to essentially abuse people's lackadaisical approach to the subject heading and prevents it from being hijacked, and everyone still gets to post whatever they like.
Pages:
Jump to: