Pages:
Author

Topic: Can't access my money because of the derivation path - page 4. (Read 726 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
If nc50lc's suggestions don't work, then rather than just trying trial and error to stumble on the correct derivation path you would be better off contacting Coinbase through their support pages and asking specifically for the derivation path which leads to that address. You can find their support pages here: https://help.coinbase.com/en/contact-us.html

I also found this issue on Electrum's GitHub (https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/issues/6015), where the user said they imported a Coinbase phrase and recovered the SegWit addresses without issue. I would make sure you selected "native segwit" as opposed to manually changing the derivation path. Did the incorrect addresses you generated in Electrum start with "bc1"?
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
The address is Native SegWit so it couldn't be anything other than: m/84'/0'/0' for BIP84 or m/0 if Coinbase is using BIP141 for SegWit.
Since it's Coinbase Wallet App, it must be BIP84.
But for Electrum, you should first select "native segwit (p2wpkh)" before editing the derivation path;
otherwise, It'll create legacy addresses despite the change of derivation path.

There's also a chance that the address is at higher index than Electrum's default of 20,
in that case, try to create more addresses by typing this in the console (View->Show Console):
Code:
[wallet.create_new_address(False) for i in range(200)]
Then restart Electrum.
Change "False" to "True" if you want to generate change addresses.

Lastly, sharing the address' public key wont help anyone in finding the correct derivation path.
It should be the "Master Public Key" (zpub), but that will cause your 'friend' privacy issues.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 3858
Farewell o_e_l_e_o
From block explorer: the amount of Bitcoin still be in that address.
Check:

It means his fund is fine so that you and your friend can stop worrying about it too much. I am not familiar with Coinbase so the others will help you out.
Activity: 76
Merit: 35
We can give you the public key if it helps in finding out which derivation path is correct.
Activity: 76
Merit: 35
Hi, so my friend has a coinbase wallet (stupid, I know). So he has 0.22 btc in this address

bc1q6lm6xa4fgcfxhvge06q3x2j0unqth4k3q56az0

he uninstalled his coinbase wallet app and then he installed it again. The app gave him the same username of course, but it gave him a total new address, which of course is empty.

I've read that coinbase wallet does this to improve privacy by changing addresses all the time. The problem is that now my friend can't get access to his address again.
I tried to help him to get back to it via Electrum but we failed. We tried 3 different derivation paths

m/44'/60'/0'/0/1

m/44'/60'/0'/0/0

m/84'/0'/0'

all the wallets created with his seed (that he has and is correct) and these derivation paths are empty. So it must be another derivation path.

Can we know the exact derivation path so that he can get access to his address with his money inside?

Pages:
Jump to: