Pages:
Author

Topic: Can't run Electrum (different versions) - page 2. (Read 437 times)

Activity: 21
Merit: 1
December 16, 2020, 03:47:35 PM
Since it's written in Python it should work on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.

Can you post a screenshot of the error so we have a better idea of the problem you are experiencing?

Yes, here is it:

https://i.postimg.cc/NMvDh5SC/el-er1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Y976nTLJ/el-er2.jpg

(The same type of error for any other versions -- portable, standalone and installed -- higher than 3.0.3.)
legendary
Activity: 2366
Merit: 2054
December 14, 2020, 08:04:09 AM
Does Electrum ever work in 32-bit systems?

Yes, download the Standalone Executable, it works for a 32-bit system.

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
December 14, 2020, 05:57:06 AM
Thanks to all. Alas, nothing had helped. Does Electrum ever work in 32-bit systems?

Since it's written in Python it should work on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.

Can you post a screenshot of the error so we have a better idea of the problem you are experiencing?
December 14, 2020, 05:46:49 AM
Thanks to all. Alas, nothing had helped. Does Electrum ever work in 32-bit systems?
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
December 12, 2020, 12:47:45 AM
Electrum on Windows 7 PC working fine without any error but the problem is the source where I downloaded this from Microsoft is gone
Have you tried the links provided here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads
it also says the Visual C++ 2019 redistributable will affect the program written in previous versions. It sounds like installing that one is enough.
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 3095
BTC price road to $80k
December 11, 2020, 07:08:04 PM
I don't know this will work on Windows 7 Home Basic but to me, it works on my Windows 7 Ultimate service pack 1.

What I installed is the whole Microsoft VC++ package includes all visual C++ retribution that available for Windows 7 and Microsoft.net framework 4.8.

Electrum on Windows 7 PC working fine without any error but the problem is the source where I downloaded this from Microsoft is gone but there is a 3rd party source which is the same copy. If you want I will add the link below but make sure to scan the file first before you install it (I already tested it from another PC without any problem since 2019).

Source: Visual C++ Redistributable Packages

For DotNet framework 4.8 go directly to Microsoft or use this link https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net48
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4318
December 11, 2020, 06:11:22 PM
I'm with bob123 on this one... Windows 7 just should not be used today. Attempting all sorts of "hacks" and "workarounds" to try and make Electrum run on Windows 7 is just a "Bad Idea"™, in my opinion.

You'd be much better off either upgrading to Windows 10 where Electrum will just work without any issues... or installing a current version of Linux (or even using a Linux Live OS on a USB stick).

I suppose, you could even just install a VM like "Virtual Box" (https://www.virtualbox.org/) and install Linux on that if you get really desperate... but that is basically a "workaround" for running Electrum on Windows 7 and, again, isn't a good idea for long term use.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
December 11, 2020, 08:05:25 AM
Are you running any anti-virus on that system? If so, this error is not from Electrum itself, but your anti-virus program is causing Electrum to crash. Especially if other programs in your system are crashing with BEX error. Uninstall your anti-virus or replace it with another one and the problem should go away.

Anti-viruses inject their own DLLs in all running programs, and your antivirus' libraries seem to be interfering with the Data Execution Prevention security feature that prevents illegal/out of range memory accesses. That's why the program was killed with a BEX (Buffer overflow EXception) error.

An error in someone's injected DLL causes your program to terminate even if it is completely unrelated to your program.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
December 11, 2020, 05:43:10 AM
Windows 7 home basic 32-bit, all updates are installed

To be honestly.. it doesn't matter with windows 7 if you have any updates installed at all.

You are already asking to lose your data including all of your private keys.

Windows 7 already had tons of vulnerabilities when the support has ended roughly a year ago.
Even before that date, windows 7 was already missing tons of security features which are present in win10. So if you really want to use windows, at least use windows 10 which isn't an invitation to get compromised by a 12y old script kiddie with 10 minutes of spare time.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
December 11, 2020, 02:50:19 AM
Is your Windows set for English or a different language (Is Electrum trying to start in another language than English)?
Certain much older version has thrown BEX because of badly translated strings.
I'd try to go if possible for English Windows and/or try other 4.0.x version of Electrum.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
December 11, 2020, 01:58:20 AM
That sounds like you are facing the Buffer Overflow Exception which only happens when the program can not put its data in your memory (you run out of memory). Check how much free memory you have and see if Electrum is getting enough when you try to run it.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
December 10, 2020, 03:52:33 PM
What version of Windows 7 are you running? I had an original version on my old laptop and it wouldn't work. But another machine with windows 7 service pack 1 does. Can you try installing the service pack from the official Microsoft website?

Alternatively there's a suggestion of an update you have to run at the bottom of the electrum downloads section which you can searchffor on Microsoft downloads and attempt to place.
December 10, 2020, 03:48:59 PM
Hello,
need help.
Windows 7 home basic 32-bit, all updates are installed

I tried to install Electrum 4.0.7, installations was successful. But wen I try to run it it crashes wis BEX error. Then I tried portable version, it crashes too with the same error. I tried some older builds but they crashes. Only version 3.0.2 works but it not synchronizing. What can I do?
Pages:
Jump to: