Pages:
Author

Topic: Cheap & silent mini PC for Bitcoin node & blockchain explorer? - page 2. (Read 819 times)

legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
yeah not a fan of the rasp pi.

It seems underpowered expensive and not very reliable.
I remember the Raspberry Pi as being cheap back in the days. The Dutch Raspberry Pi Wiki confirms it started as educational, with an open structure. Wiki shows a $5 basic price (Pi Zero) up to $35 for the Pi 4 B. I also remember seeing all kinds of extensions you could buy, to connect other applications, do your own programming and use it to automate real life things.
Nowadays, the Pi seems to be used more as a small computer, with more power, more memory, more storage, and a higher price. I've never owned one, but it looks like it's a completely different product with a different target audience now than when it started.

RPi lost the price advantage, when Intel dropped the prices on the low power CPUs. Even when the RPi4 came out the embedded / N100 type CPUs (yeah I know those did not exist then but the equivalent) were more then the entire RPi itself. Now Intel is pushing the board + CPU (no ram) should be at the $50 or so price point. So getting the mini PCs out the door now for $175 is not even that hard.

The Zeros and other ones are a different story but the last run of the 4's and now with the 5's RPi has gotten more expensive.
HOWEVER, the RPi can be more of a tinker project. There are a lot of cases, add on boards, and other things that you can use it for. The mini PCs are.....mini PCs if you can't plug it into a USB port you can't add it.

In the end it really is going to depend on what you want to do with it.

The new mini / NUC vs used micro PCs that Phil uses can probably be discussed forever. It really comes down to what *you* like.

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

I remember the Raspberry Pi as being cheap back in the days. The Dutch Raspberry Pi Wiki confirms it started as educational, with an open structure. Wiki shows a $5 basic price (Pi Zero) up to $35 for the Pi 4 B. I also remember seeing all kinds of extensions you could buy, to connect other applications, do your own programming and use it to automate real life things.
Nowadays, the Pi seems to be used more as a small computer, with more power, more memory, more storage, and a higher price. I've never owned one, but it looks like it's a completely different product with a different target audience now than when it started.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'

the nucs look okay.

but my p320 is pretty much flawless.

it is small enough and whenever gpus are earning well it makes money to run it.
Activity: 0
Merit: 0
You could probably even go for a mobo or a Mini-PC with an Intel N50 CPU instead of the N100… only two cores & two threads (based on the Alderlake efficiency cores) at 6W TDP.

But still better than the Pi 4: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/4297vs5632/BCM2711-vs-Intel-N50
EDIT – comparison of Pi 5 and N50 (no benchmarks yet): https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-raspberry_pi_5_b_broadcom_bcm2712-vs-intel_processor_n50

If you're only using it for a Bitcoin node with Lightning etc., two cores should be A-OK.

Not sure if any N50 Mini-PCs exist on the market, but there are a couple of Mini-ITX boards, but only from Chinese manufacturers or industrial providers like Kontron, incl. the tiny Mini-STX form factor, but the Chinese boards tend to be iffy, e.g. regarding BIOS & updates, and the industrial products tend to be more expensive.

A super-efficient Mini-STX build would e.g. use a board like the Kontron K3921-N1 industrial board with the N50—which, even though it's an STX, would still be quite expensive (probably more than €150), and I couldn't find any consumer-grade Mini-STX boards—, plus a Mini-STX chassis, e.g. the SilverStone VT-01 with space for one additional 2.5 inch SATA SSD.

My own DIY Mini-ITX rackmount build with an N100 that I slapped together last night would use:
  • Inter-Tech 1U-K-126L rackmount chassis
  • 2 * Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM fans
  • ASRock N100DC-ITX
  • 19V 120W DC power supply
for a total of approx. €250 w/out shipping for a barebones build w/out memory and storage. More than an old refurbished Mini-PC of course, but not much more than e.g. an N100 Beelink.
legendary
I like the larger  8 inch by 8 inch by 1.5

dell
Lenovo
hp

all make them

The best one I have is a Lenovo think station.

two 2 tb msata ssds
16 gb ram
a disctrete nvidia gpu
and an 8th gen i5 or maybe i7

I have a post on it somewhere.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.60489562

I have the p320 it is a fucking beast.

and I have a Nvidia t1000 gpu in it.

so whenever gpu mining is profitable I mine with it.  Which means it actually makes 25 to 75 cents a day.

Along with running the node.

here is one for 250 or best offer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335122507289?

i7-7700t cpu and 32gb ram just add a pair of better msata's

legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
For example, the Beelink Mini S12 Pro comes with 16 GB of RAM out of the box, can work with 32 GB, can house an M.2 NVMe SSD up to 2 TB and an additional SATA SSD of 2 TB, which is probably enough for a full node running Ubuntu Server for many decades worth of timechain storage, all of it on the internal M.2, with regular automated backups to the internal SATA SSD. And it's probably not a lot more expensive than an old refurbished Mini-PC.

More fun of course would be to build one yourself, e.g. with an ASRock N100DC-ITX, and a cheap Mini-ITX chassis, e.g. one by SilverStone like the Milo 10, or (if you have a home lab) a 1U rackmount chassis for better expandability, which is always possible with a DIY build.

And somewhere between those options, you can buy barebone (without RAM and storage drive) mini PC. That way, you could save a bit of money by choosing your own RAM and storage, while also avoiding built-in Windows (if you prefer using Linux).

--snip--

Yes, I have been moving my RPi setups and other old micro PCs to the N100 Beelink and similar.

Faster then the PI,
--snip--

Looking at benchmark result (between Intel N100 and Raspberry Pi 4 CPU), it's more accurate to say it's far faster.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/5157vs4297/Intel-N100-vs-BCM2711
Another option I have is to combine it all into one server. I do plan on building a home server/NAS, which would be running 24/7 anyway. So any additional Bitcoin & Lightning processes wouldn't really matter regarding power consumption. But I'd go for Unraid, and while there is a Docker container for bitcoind, there are none for lnd, Fulcrum, mempool etc., at least none with official or community support. So it would all have to go into an Ubuntu Server VM, and that would be a bit overkill imho.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
Hey, all… my first post.

For a few years I've been using a refurbished Dell Optiplex 9020M micro with an Intel Core i5-4570T, 16 GB of RAM, and an internal 2 TB SATA SSD… running Ubuntu Server. It works fine, but it's an old machine, and newer & more efficient low-power Mini-PCs have been flooding the market for a few years now.

I'm currently eyeing one based on the Intel N100, which, compared to the old CPUs (especially the Intel Core CPUs), is a lot better:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/5157vs2041/Intel-N100-vs-Intel-i5-4570T

For example, the Beelink Mini S12 Pro comes with 16 GB of RAM out of the box, can work with 32 GB, can house an M.2 NVMe SSD up to 2 TB and an additional SATA SSD of 2 TB, which is probably enough for a full node running Ubuntu Server for many decades worth of timechain storage, all of it on the internal M.2, with regular automated backups to the internal SATA SSD. And it's probably not a lot more expensive than an old refurbished Mini-PC.

More fun of course would be to build one yourself, e.g. with an ASRock N100DC-ITX, and a cheap Mini-ITX chassis, e.g. one by SilverStone like the Milo 10, or (if you have a home lab) a 1U rackmount chassis for better expandability, which is always possible with a DIY build.

Yes, I have been moving my RPi setups and other old micro PCs to the N100 Beelink and similar.

Faster then the PI, cheaper then the PI (once you add in the cost of case + PS + stuff) a little faster then the 4th gen i5 and a tiny bit slower then a 6th gen i5 but for applications like this it's perfect. 16GB Ram and 512GB drive for less then $175. Just swap out the drive for a 1TB ($65) and you are good to go. For $10 on amazon you can get a case for the drive that came with it and you now have a 512GB portable USB drive and it's all new. No worry about refurbs.

-Dave

Hey, all… my first post.

For a few years I've been using a refurbished Dell Optiplex 9020M micro with an Intel Core i5-4570T, 16 GB of RAM, and an internal 2 TB SATA SSD… running Ubuntu Server. It works fine, but it's an old machine, and newer & more efficient low-power Mini-PCs have been flooding the market for a few years now.

I'm currently eyeing one based on the Intel N100, which, compared to the old CPUs (especially the Intel Core CPUs), is a lot better:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/5157vs2041/Intel-N100-vs-Intel-i5-4570T

Activity: 99
Merit: 153
I'm really happy with this setup.  The PC runs surprisingly cool and I've never heard the fan kick on at all.  Well, I assume it has a fan, but I've never heard it.

I've only had it running for 8 days, but it's been great.

Setting up Start9 was so easy to set up that I feel foolish for now doing this a while ago.  I'm running Bitcoin Core with a full node (not pruned, in other words), plus Electrs and Mempool.  With Start9, this was basically one click installs for each, and maybe a bit of config?  Actually, I think most of the configuration was set up on install.  I mean, this was ridiculously easy.

It took around 30 hours for Bitcoin Core to sync the entire blockchain, and Electrs took a while too.  I don't know how long.  I let it run overnight & it was done by the morning.

I still have a lot to figure out, so far, I'm thrilled.
legendary
I don't know how much you paid for this configuration, but I found similar configuration below $100 locally but with smaller SSD, so it's not a bad price

$135.  I assume part of what I paid for was the form factor.  It's the OptiPlex Micro, so it's quite small. (OptiPlex.  What a stupid name.  That's so very "Dell")

I am not sure it is going to be totally silent.
Just make sure to keep it in good ventilated space and you should be fine.

It's been running now for 48 hours.  Almost totally silent, and it runs pretty cool.  I have to put my ear up against it to hear even the slightest hum.  And my internet is faster than I thought.  I should have the whole blockchain synced up by the end of the night.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how easy Start9 was to set up.

Told you they are nice pcs. Glad the software works well.
I don't know how much you paid for this configuration, but I found similar configuration below $100 locally but with smaller SSD, so it's not a bad price

$135.  I assume part of what I paid for was the form factor.  It's the OptiPlex Micro, so it's quite small. (OptiPlex.  What a stupid name.  That's so very "Dell")

I am not sure it is going to be totally silent.

It's been running now for 48 hours.  Almost totally silent, and it runs pretty cool.  I have to put my ear up against it to hear even the slightest hum.  And my internet is faster than I thought.  I should have the whole blockchain synced up by the end of the night.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how easy Start9 was to set up.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
Here's what I bought:
DELL OptiPlex 5050 Micro.
Intel Core i5-7600T, 16 GB DDR4, 256 GB SSD
I don't know how much you paid for this configuration, but I found similar configuration below $100 locally but with smaller SSD, so it's not a bad price, but I am not sure it is going to be totally silent.

As a Mac guy, I can't believe that in the year 2024, people still tolerate buying PCs that come with stickers on them.  I tried peeling off that stupid Intel Inside sticker but there's still some residual glue goo.  Eh, I'll get around to removing that later.
Small tip:
It's easy to remove all that residue (and stickers) with WD-40 spray Wink
Here's what I bought:
DELL OptiPlex 5050 Micro.
Intel Core i5-7600T, 16 GB DDR4, 256 GB SSD

It took forever to ship, but hey, it's here and all is well.  It came with a mouse and a pretty decent keyboard, which was a nice surprise.

I've already got Start9 installed & Bitcoin Core is syncing.  I assume it'll take a week.  My internet isn't particularly fast since the most demanding thing I do online is stream HD movies.

I had no issues at all with setting up an external 2 TB SSD for storage.  Start9 asked where I wanted to store everything & I chose the external drive.  Easy peasy.

Based on how easy it was to get this sucker up and running, I regret not doing this a year ago.  Ah well!  Better late than never.

As a Mac guy, I can't believe that in the year 2024, people still tolerate buying PCs that come with stickers on them.  I tried peeling off that stupid Intel Inside sticker but there's still some residual glue goo.  Eh, I'll get around to removing that later.

Anyway...  so far, so good!
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
it's because rising total UTXO which doesn't fit even on Raspberry Pi 4 8GB variant which heavily affect IBD (initial block download).
I recently did an IBD on a laptop with 8 GB RAM:
--snip--

Because of the lack of RAM, the IBD wrote 4.58 TB to disk. So it's possible, but comes at a price.

Thanks for sharing your experiment. Anyway, total 4.58TB write is insane. It would cut significant lifespan of cheap/low-end SSD, especially when i see few people claim they use their old or unused SSD.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
it's because rising total UTXO which doesn't fit even on Raspberry Pi 4 8GB variant which heavily affect IBD (initial block download).
I recently did an IBD on a laptop with 8 GB RAM:
Image loading...
The dip after 7 hours may have been caused by internet congestion.
During the first hours, the sync speed was limited by my internet speed. After 13-15 hours, it's clear that bandwidth is no longer the limiting factor. I'm not sure what caused the dip in progress at 35-36 hours: if I have to guess, blocks were mostly filled with Ordinals at that time.
During the last hours, sync speed was limited by my SSD speed (and the lack of RAM).

Because of the lack of RAM, the IBD wrote 4.58 TB to disk. So it's possible, but comes at a price.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
Start9 says not to use it on a Raspberry Pi for Bitcoin though.
I don't know when this warning was written but it's probably related with Rpi's low ram and processing power, or for older devices that are usually weaker.
I know several people who managed to run bitcoin nodes on Rpi4 without any issues, but things could change recently.

To be exact, it's because rising total UTXO which doesn't fit even on Raspberry Pi 4 8GB variant which heavily affect IBD (initial block download). See https://community.start9.com/t/raspberry-pi-no-longer-recommended-for-use-with-bitcoin-stack/779. Although after IBD, Raspberry Pi 4 is still fine to run a node.
I don't know when this warning was written

It's relatively recent.  Older versions of their docs don't have it, but they now have a warning that they're out of date and they link to the version with it.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
I don't know when this warning was written but it's probably related with Rpi's low ram and processing power, or for older devices that are usually weaker.
I know several people who managed to run bitcoin nodes on Rpi4 without any issues, but things could change recently.
Anyway, whenever you want to buy something cheap you know that you will have to make some compromises, whatever device you choose.

Some interesting Rpi alternatives to consider:
https://beebom.com/best-raspberry-pi-4-alternatives/
Activity: 1423
Merit: 504
The dell black box. (Dell PC 5000)

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/embedded-box-pc-5000/docs

(Used in police cars,fedex trucks and more)

pn:N01PC

I ran a node on one for almost 3 years.

If you like tinkering in general this things a beast.

the case is a giant heatsink. no fans.

GPIO 8 pin
GPIO
4 serial ports.
lots of uses.

Im sure the system will outlast whatever HDD you slap in it.
Pages:
Jump to: