Pages:
Author

Topic: Cheap & silent mini PC for Bitcoin node & blockchain explorer? - page 3. (Read 819 times)

Activity: 99
Merit: 153
If you want totally silent solution than I would recommend checking out Raspberry Pi400 that has built in mini keyboard.

Start9 says not to use it on a Raspberry Pi for Bitcoin though.

From the Start9 online docs:

Warning
READ CAREFULLY! DO NOT USE A RASPBERRY PI FOR RUNNING BITCOIN SOFTWARE! You will have a bad time. The pi is a great choice for other use cases, such as file storage, password management, git hosting, etc.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
I'm looking for:

Low power consumption.
Small is better, since I'll probably be stashing it out of sight.
Headless.
Silent.
SSD, not HD.  I'll probably use an external SSD for the node storage.
If you want totally silent solution than I would recommend checking out Raspberry Pi400 that has built in mini keyboard.
You can easily add external SSD drive or ultra fast SD card, it works very good with both.
Regular Raspberry Pi 4 and 5 device can also be used and modified to work in silent mode.

Intel NUC devices are a good silent alternative and they can be found used for a good price, just make sure to have strong enough processor and ram memory.
There are also open source laptops that work in similar way like raspberry pi, they are have passive cooling, but they are much more expensive.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
EDIT:  I bought it.  This should be a fun project.
I was going to add the i5-7600T's TDP is 35W. For low power, I prefer processors with a TDP as low as possible.

I recently measured one of my Celeron laptops, it consumes <4W idle. I'm still looking for a few more spare laptops, they're cheap and very convenient to have around for projects. It beats a VM Smiley

yeah but it will almost never pull that.

especially since he has an external ssd  doing more heavy lifting.

at the op that unit is pretty good for that price.

let us know now how the setup works.
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
If you have serious money...

I definitely don't have serious money.  I'm spending every dollar on sats, especially before the halving.

I'm leaning toward going with this:
DELL OptiPlex 5050 Micro Form Factor
(Intel Core i5-7600T, 16 GB DDR4, 256 GB SSD)
$135

And like I said, I already have a USB external 2 TB SSD that I'll use for storage.

EDIT:  I bought it.  This should be a fun project.

That mini PC looks good. Anyway, take note external storage isn't very reliable. In few cases, there's not enough power if you use multiple USB port at once which cause random disconnect. And if you use OS or package which setup almost everything with you, be careful it may use internal storage to store blockchain files by default.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
I was going to add the i5-7600T's TDP is 35W. For low power, I prefer processors with a TDP as low as possible.

I recently measured one of my Celeron laptops, it consumes <4W idle. I'm still looking for a few more spare laptops, they're cheap and very convenient to have around for projects. It beats a VM Smiley
If you have serious money...

I definitely don't have serious money.  I'm spending every dollar on sats, especially before the halving.

I'm leaning toward going with this:
DELL OptiPlex 5050 Micro Form Factor
(Intel Core i5-7600T, 16 GB DDR4, 256 GB SSD)
$135

And like I said, I already have a USB external 2 TB SSD that I'll use for storage.

legendary
I'm looking for:

Low power consumption.
Headless.
Silent.
What else do I need?

All tiny PCs have these characteristics, they are small and quiet. I would follow up on a philipma, at least an i5 of the sixth generation (if the budget allows, look at younger ones as well). And considering that the computer will work 24/7, power consumption is worth paying attention to.

so get an i5 or i7 at least sixth gen. cpu  16gb ram and a 1tb ssd

Isn't it better to have one SSD for OS and another for data? For example 128GB + 1TB

no not on these units.  just get a 1 tb ssd and clone it to an external  2tb hdd for an emergency backup.

Keep the 2 tb hdd off line.

use something like this

https://www.amazon.com/GLOTRENDS-Protection-Resistant-Photography-B86/dp/B01LXO6HLG/ref=sr_1_4?

If you have serious money or really important data make 2 or 3 back ups.
Isn't it better to have one SSD for OS and another for data? For example 128GB + 1TB

Even if it isn't "better," that's my plan.  I always keep media and large storage on an external drive.  It's so much easier for future upgrades.  I already have a spare external 2TB SSD, so a 250 GB internal SSD should be more than enough.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 3098
I'm looking for:

Low power consumption.
Headless.
Silent.
What else do I need?

All tiny PCs have these characteristics, they are small and quiet. I would follow up on a philipma, at least an i5 of the sixth generation (if the budget allows, look at younger ones as well). And considering that the computer will work 24/7, power consumption is worth paying attention to.

so get an i5 or i7 at least sixth gen. cpu  16gb ram and a 1tb ssd

legendary
I want to run my own node and block explorer and am planning on running Start9 (mostly to make the block explorer part easy).  I'd like to go reasonably cheap for this PC since it's for a personal project (the block explorer will only be available on my wifi network at home), and also because I'm spending every dollar I can spare on buying Bitcoin of course Smiley

I'm a Mac guy, so I'm not familiar with PCs at all.  I could use your advice.  I own a few Raspberry Pi 3Bs for home automation, but Start9 docs recommend against using a Pi for a Bitcoin node, and mine are old anyway, so I'd need a new device for this project.  So, I assume I'm looking for a mini PC to run Start9.

I'm looking for:

Low power consumption.
Headless.
Silent.
What else do I need?

Any other advice?

dell
hp
Lenovo

all make a Mac mini sized unit.

give me a minute I will find links

-------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334266133509?  this has a 128gb ssd and 8gb ram easy peasy to upgrade it is 90 usd

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186174116413?  this has an i7 and 16gb ram.  you need to upgrade the 512gb ssd it is 289

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this one is 311 usd with an i7 7700 16gb ram and 1 tb ssd it is a Lenovo you need to pick options

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235398515461?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

this one has 16gb and a 128gb ssd windows 10 pro only 149

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165928451002?

so get an i5 or i7 at least sixth gen. cpu  16gb ram and a 1tb ssd

so if you do not want to open the gear to mod you can get the Lenovo for $311

shop around I just picked them by searching on eBay

Lenovo tiny
dell optiplex
hp tiny

you will find hundreds of them.

you can get a good unit for under 350 even less if you know how to mod.

I want to run my own node and block explorer and am planning on running Start9 (mostly to make the block explorer part easy).  I'd like to go reasonably cheap for this PC since it's for a personal project (the block explorer will only be available on my wifi network at home), and also because I'm spending every dollar I can spare on buying Bitcoin of course Smiley

I'm a Mac guy, so I'm not familiar with PCs at all.  I could use your advice.  I own a few Raspberry Pi 3Bs for home automation, but Start9 docs recommend against using a Pi for a Bitcoin node, and mine are old anyway, so I'd need a new device for this project.  So, I assume I'm looking for a mini PC to run Start9.

I'm looking for:

Low power consumption.
Headless.
Silent.
What else do I need?

Any other advice?

EDITED to add:  I'd rather not have to mod the PC at all.  I'm a Mac guy, so many of the PC terms are gibberish to me.
Pages:
Jump to: