Pages:
Author

Topic: Chrome Bitcoin Extension Bounty(260 and more BTC were paid.) - page 7. (Read 29620 times)

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1015
Strength in numbers
In the future I imagine someone designing cool looking bitcoin GUIs and advertising "Now you can keep bitcoins on YOUR OWN computer!" and people will be like "Oh, how does that work..." lol.

Oh, and then people will move their coins off of the wallets and find out they were all fractional reserving it up.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

I think that those people who can use bitcoind barriers will not notice, but others more comfortable with a GUI bitcoin

The ideas of having to install two software package is a barrier.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007
1davout
I think most users won't really bother with generating coins, an extension that interfaces a i-keep-your-bitcoins-safe-and-available-from-anywhere would be something pretty easy for newcomers to get a hold of, wouldn't it ?
Activity: 350
Merit: 252
probiwon.com
May be make plugin who parses page and search valid bitcoin addresses, and where will it doing the "pay" buttion? Address search can be done quickly - addres is a certain length and starts from "1" symbol.

Or so it will be?

And it need to enable JSON for bitcoin (GUI client)
I wonder, is this possible?

Then would client in the tray, and the user could pay on sites with one click.

The need for a bitcoin GUI client negate the benefit of a chrome extension. The objective is to lower the barrier of getting into bitcoin, not increase it.

I think that those people who can use bitcoind barriers will not notice, but others more comfortable with a GUI bitcoin
Activity: 116
Merit: 10
Do you have a repository that we can look at?

No repository. Just a folder with a handful of files. I'm close to having something somewhat presentable. Then I'll release it and post a zip of the sources.
legendary
May be make plugin who parses page and search valid bitcoin addresses, and where will it doing the "pay" buttion? Address search can be done quickly - addres is a certain length and starts from "1" symbol.

Or so it will be?

The need for a bitcoin GUI client negate the benefit of a chrome extension. The objective is to lower the barrier of getting into bitcoin, not increase it.
probiwon.com

Or so it will be?

legendary
probiwon.com

Or so it will be?
legendary
Is the code open source?
Ok. The API doesn't currently seem to support much info on individual received payments. I could set up a timer to periodically check the balance and report differences, but your best readout will be in Bitcoin itself. Otherwise I guess you'd have to use a different address for each received payment. I may have to think about it a bit while I finish the rest of this stuff.

As for automatic detection of payment options, I think I'm going to start with having to select the text of a Bitcoin address, then right clicking and choosing "Send Bitcoins...". It will check to see if what you selected appears to be a valid address and then give you a box to enter an amount to send. After the first version I'll go back over and see if I can perfect some of the functionality. I just want something to start using.
legendary
Ok, so I have about 80% of this working in Chrome. It just needs fleshed out and polished up a bit and most of the code should translate nicely to Firefox. I'm just not entirely sure what you mean by:

1. Automatic receive and confirmation.

Some sort of alert when you receive a payment?

Well, I wasn't thinking clearly at that time. I think it would be useful if you got notified automatically incoming payment, instead of your wallet's balance silently increase. It helps if you know where you got it from.
Ok, so I have about 80% of this working in Chrome. It just needs fleshed out and polished up a bit and most of the code should translate nicely to Firefox. I'm just not entirely sure what you mean by:

1. Automatic receive and confirmation.

Some sort of alert when you receive a payment?
legendary
Put me down for 50BTC.

This is a good idea.  Maybe I need to do a bounty for my Facebook developer store plug-in idea.

Thanks for increasing the bounty to 300 BTC.
legendary
Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000
Put me down for 50BTC.

This is a good idea.  Maybe I need to do a bounty for my Facebook developer store plug-in idea.
Activity: 440
Merit: 250
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
I'll pledge 40 btc.
Activity: 83
Why not just have an 'insert bitcoin address' button? Definitely not a long term solution, but it would hold for short term use!
Activity: 489
Merit: 504
1 and 3 shouldn't be a big problem here, just a few json-rpc calls afaik. but 2 needs either an official standard code inside the html files that can be recognized by the addon or something like a database with all bitcoin accepting pages that have to be updated every now and then.

I don't know how to make Chrome extensions, just wanted to say something ontopic.
Interested in creating a MicroFormat for BitCoin payment options?
legendary
Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001
I'd love to see something for firefox. I don't know if you could do something like a href=mailto but instead, make it bitcoin and put the address there like a hyperlink. The addon would then open up bitcoin with the address. I don't know if I want to send directly from the browser, but to at least copy over addresses for me would be nice. Even a little box with my bitcoin total would be fun and a dialog or alert without interference that a payment has been received.

The thing that gets scary about doing things automatically from a browser is when malicious people decide that they can take your whole wallet with a bad site.

I already thought about this problem. I came up with this idea:

Have bitcoin (or some proxy program (I was thinking about this for my pybitcoind-desklet program) in between) start a dbus daemon that accepts "bills". These "bills" list the receiver address, the amount of bitcoins, the program sending the "bill" and possibly a transaction description. On receiving the receipt, the user gets a pop-up/notification about the "bill" to pay it and the user is free to accept or decline the bill. After that the money is send or not.

Via this, possibly every program has a standard interface to connect to for sending bitcoins and there is no direct connection to the rpc interface, so malicious programs can't do any harm (e.g. sending rpc commands that it isn't allowed to do.
Pages:
Jump to: