Pages:
Author

Topic: CKPOOL - Open source pool/proxy/passthrough/redirector/library in c for Linux - page 10. (Read 123941 times)

Activity: 419
Merit: 250
I dug a little deeper and it seems it coordinates with warnings from ckdb about taking a long time to getblocktemplate, which I guess is not surprising. I guess bitcoind is running slow or something. whther or not that could be affected so much by filesystem I know is off topic here, but an interesting thing to inspect I guess.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Doubt it. That lag time sounds like it missed a notify entirely.
@ck I'm running on commit f35f54a (https://bitbucket.org/ckolivas/ckpool/commits/f35f54a6428a99bacad6daedbd7cd8367c985242) from 2/23/16. I recently started noticing the odd occasion where there is a 2-40 second lag between block change of bitcoind/notifier running and ckpool logging a "block hash changed" message.

When I was running this on a different box with half as many cores and same amt of RAM, I was getting no lag at all (seeing less than a second between "UpdateTip" from bitcoind to "block hash changed" from ckpool).

One difference in the two boxes is file system. Could suboptimal fs performance be causing this? The older, seemingly quicker-to-change setup had the blockchain stored on ext4 while the newer, seemingly laggier-to-change setup has the blockchain stored on btrfs (I wanted to save some physical space with transparent compression... note to all: feel free to berate me on use of btrfs, but I don't want to derail this thread).

I can obviously reformat to ext4 and copy the blockchain over and back from a backup volume, but before I go through all that headache, I wanted to get your perspective on if it could be the root cause of the lagginess.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
What is the best way to move from a standalone ckpool to proxy/stratum - is it just rerunning ckpool -P
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Hello.
The maximum number of miners can be connected to a ckproxy?
Unlimited.
Activity: 114
Merit: 10
Hello.
The maximum number of miners can be connected to a ckproxy?
So what is the point for mindiff? I am just trying to understand all the settings. I am running ckpool locally, just getting started in bitcoin. And interested in the concept as a social and economic disruptive technology.  

mindiff is the bottom limit for the vardiff calculated by the pool.

read about vardiff here: http://give-me-coins.com/support/faq/what-is-vardiff/

(also this is getting a little off topic. Might want to post a new thread for non-ckpool-related questions)
So what is the point for mindiff? I am just trying to understand all the settings. I am running ckpool locally, just getting started in bitcoin. And interested in the concept as a social and economic disruptive technology.  

It's the minimum difficulty shares of work that will be sent to workers.

So the difficuly is ~158B. If I raise the mindiff in ckpool is there any benfit towards increasing the likelihood of mining a block? Why is the mindiff set to 1 is that only for the purpose of payment for shared pools? Sorry if I am lost on this.

If I'm not mistaken, ckpool adjusts difficulty per user hashrate. There's probably a description on solo.ckpool.org or kano.is (the two most prominent pools I know of using ckpool backend).
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/

So the difficuly is ~158B. If I raise the mindiff in ckpool is there any benfit towards increasing the likelihood of mining a block? Why is the mindiff set to 1 is that only for the purpose of payment for shared pools? Sorry if I am lost on this.
This is a fundamental truth that everyone needs to understand: Nothing you do makes your likelihood of mining a block higher except for increasing your hashrate. Diff is just feedback for miners. Diff 1 is suitable feedback for only the very lowest speed mining hardware (such as the old ASICminer usb sticks).

What do the values for mindiff (in ckpool.conf) mean? "mindiff": 1 -> if I set that to ten does that mean 10 zeros min prepending the hash?

Is there any feedback or insight on manipulating mindiff  - is there any benefit for a small pool?

Thanks,

What do the values for mindiff (in ckpool.conf) mean? "mindiff": 1 -> if I set that to ten does that mean 10 zeros min prepending the hash?

Is there any feedback or insight on manipulating mindiff  - is there any benefit for a small pool?

Thanks,
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Is there anything built into notifier to notify a remotely running ckpool of block changes? or would I have to set up the remote machine to execute notifier locally via ssh? Also, if notifier runs once from a local bitcoind, will ckpool grab work from all listed bitcoinds? And what happens if notifier runs between block changes? anything catastrophic or just gets new work more often?
No. Yes. No. Nothing. Yes.
Is there anything built into notifier to notify a remotely running ckpool of block changes? or would I have to set up the remote machine to execute notifier locally via ssh? Also, if notifier runs once from a local bitcoind, will ckpool grab work from all listed bitcoinds? And what happens if notifier runs between block changes? anything catastrophic or just gets new work more often?
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
If mining w/ ckpool via -A does found block get awarded to address in bitcoin.conf or ckpool.conf

And - can everyone stop mining for ten minutes so I can test my rig.

Thanks!
ckpool.conf
If mining w/ ckpool via -A does found block get awarded to address in bitcoin.conf or ckpool.conf

Thanks!

I believe ckpool.conf, but you can just make them both the same to be certain.

Thanks!
Activity: 114
Merit: 10
WBF1, Kano

Many thanks!  Smiley There was insufficient privileges.  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Hello!
I get this error when doing blocknotify.
~$ Failed to bind to socket in open_unix_client
Closing file handle 5
Failure in open_unix_client from notifier.c main:50
Failed to open socket: /tmp/ckpool/stratifier

What could be the problem?
One of 2 specific things:
1) your pointing the notifier at the wrong place
2) the notifier doesn't have privs to access it

... though this answer is basic linux 101.
CKPool is not a point and click pool.
You do need to know what you are doing and a lot about linux and system management to use it ...
Pages:
Jump to: