Pages:
Author

Topic: Coinbase banned Germany & Luxembourg - page 2. (Read 6470 times)

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283
July 08, 2016, 07:34:00 AM
I accidentily noticed this when using a vpn that is located in Germany, luckily it's not banned in Belgium.
But I guess German people still have other options besides Coinbase, Bitstamp for example.

And I do hope this doesn't mean it's going to be much more difficult to buy Bitcoins in other European countries in the near future.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000
July 08, 2016, 07:15:16 AM
for me nothing new here as coinbase never worked for me from the day one i get the same error so its not shocking as other then my country it is also not working in germany probably they did not get much of the business from germany or they are following the local law
legendary
Activity: 1134
July 08, 2016, 04:49:28 AM
I think that Coinbase has banned itself because for sure had made nothing to comply with the law and the regulation of bitcoin there. It is normal because Coinbase don't care to work like it needed. They go only in that countries in which don't needed regulation or work to do to adapt.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006
July 08, 2016, 04:25:30 AM
Coinbase also doesn't support Nepal buy and sell feature i think this is due to the complicated foreign currency law we have here. But there is no any written statement about bitcoin or crypto currency in our federal law. So it is quite confusing why they even don't allow us to exchange, i can understand they can't allow deposit and withdraw of fiat for countries with rules like here but not giving access to trade is completely bullshit.

However i really don't like how they keep banning accounts and asking lots of documents, so this all limitation they have isn't effecting me.  Wink
Activity: 368
Merit: 212
Don't buy Bitcoin - Earn it
July 08, 2016, 04:07:04 AM
That's fantastic. As a German I have the choice between Bitcoin.de and Bitstamp. Otherwise no other alternatives?

I would not discuss the advantages and disadvantages of these two suppliers. But I would like to choose where I buy my Bitcoins and not let me dictate this from my government.

What's next?

Can I as a merchant accepting bitcoin? or the user must then identify?
Did my order and my bitcoin address in combination with my identity reported to the government, NSA, FBI, KGB and so on?
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
July 07, 2016, 06:49:43 PM
Nobody is banning anything in Germany.

With bitcoin.de there's at least one completely regulated exchange in Germany where users can even connect their account to an official German bank, albeit a small one. Additionally, people have already pointed out that Bitstamp is licensed in 28 EU member states through Luxembourg, thereby making it entirely regulated in Germany as well.

This is just a Coinbase move who apparently didn't have a license to operate in Germany in the first place.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
July 07, 2016, 06:33:35 PM
Hey,

I am logged into my account Coinbase to buy Bitcoins.

I get the following message:

Sorry! Buy & Sell not available in Germany

We are not able to Provide exchanging bitcoin in your region yet. Consider Contacting your local government. Learn More>

It seems to be also affected Luxembourg alongside Germany.
The rest of Europe (32) are not affected.

Since Localbitcoin is banned in Germany, seems probably because the German "local government" there which prohibit.

Does anyone have any info, is on what legal basis prohibited here?

It also happened in my country, I come from Indonesia and Coinbase also does not provide buy and sell here. I think not because the German block the service from Coinbase, it's just that I have found no bitcoin buy services in your country. Thank you
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
July 07, 2016, 06:26:05 PM
Coinbase? Who needs coinbase? Why would anyone in Germany use an american exchange when they can a german one like bitcoin.de?
I doubt coinbase had many customers in Germany, or a single one in Luxembourg, a country which is smaller than L.A. county.
Activity: 1092
Merit: 520
July 07, 2016, 05:14:54 PM
Thats very strange, i wonder why germany has taken a etance like that, ah well their loss..... Embarrassed
Activity: 868
Merit: 584
July 07, 2016, 04:50:20 PM
Coinbase requires proof of address, like any institution that needs to do kyc to comply with the law.
You need an address outside Germany, with proof, like a utility bill.
Using a vpn isn't gonna cut the mustard.
Activity: 826
July 07, 2016, 02:37:41 PM
just other solution for buying bitcoin
- buy payeer usd
- deposit usd at BTC-E
- buying bitcoin at BTC-E
- withdraw the bitcoin to your wallet

Who is BTC-e? A ghost company. Where is their physical office, where is their financial license being incorporated in EU? Smiley

How can you entrust your money to an unlicensed company?

I trust my money to btc-e and sleep easy.  I don't need to visit a physical office and that they don't have a license does not bother me. The exchange functions,  it has for a long time and their service is good. Each to their own I guess.

Isn't that the case with all exchanges (Gox; Cryptsy)? They're great until they aren't?
Yes,  that's why I only keep a very small amount of my total cryptos on there.  When I want to hedge I can do it quickly.  I never lost with either of those 2 sites,  or used them much but what was with cryptsy,  did they have a license?
Activity: 826
July 07, 2016, 02:15:15 PM
just other solution for buying bitcoin
- buy payeer usd
- deposit usd at BTC-E
- buying bitcoin at BTC-E
- withdraw the bitcoin to your wallet

Who is BTC-e? A ghost company. Where is their physical office, where is their financial license being incorporated in EU? Smiley

How can you entrust your money to an unlicensed company?

I trust my money to btc-e and sleep easy.  I don't need to visit a physical office and that they don't have a license does not bother me. The exchange functions,  it has for a long time and their service is good. Each to their own I guess.
Activity: 938
Merit: 501
July 07, 2016, 01:54:46 PM
That's a bit unfortunate but my understanding is that Coinbase has not been active in Germany from the outset, which is actually pretty strange as Germany is basically BTC friendly.
Activity: 1358
Merit: 622
Maintain Social Distance, Stay safe.
July 07, 2016, 01:38:40 PM
Honestly many people are complaining about coinbase their service is worst and very restricted online wallet.. better to fin other wallet.. if your place is banned.. Honestly i experience of delay receiving in coinbase and i tried to experience that from my primedice account and send it to coinbase i experience in delay to receive it takes a week before i receive my bitcoin in my wallet..
legendary
Activity: 840
July 07, 2016, 01:29:29 PM
Sorry! Buy & Sell not available in Germany

We are not able to Provide exchanging bitcoin in your region yet. Consider Contacting your local government. Learn More>

It seems to be also affected Luxembourg alongside Germany.
The rest of Europe (32) are not affected.

I checked the last issues on their support websites and seems that on May they had some bugs and they were fixing them, now they have removed it from the official websites https://www.coinbase.com/global?locale=en , if germany started to not accept coinbase on their country, I have a feeling that also other EU countries will 'ignore' coinbase, because of this bitcoin price crashed today?
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
July 07, 2016, 01:26:15 PM
I'm not surprised that Germany is banning Bitcoin, or at least what seems to be businesses that are actively involved with Bitcoin. They're going and trying to exert whatever control over everyone they can now, and that includes banning whatever means of transferring value aside from their beloved Euro.

This has nothing to do with terrorism, or at least they know it will have next to no effect on terrorism and terrorist's ability to carry out attacks.
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
July 07, 2016, 01:19:36 PM
The European Commission plans new rules on anti-money laundering.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-2380_en.htm

and there is a part to virtual currencies:

Tackling terrorist financing risks linked to virtual currencies: to prevent misuse of virtual currencies for money laundering and terrorist financing purposes, the Commission proposes to bring virtual currency exchange platforms and custodian wallet providers under the scope of the Anti-Money Laundering Directive. These entities will have to apply customer due diligence controls when exchanging virtual for real currencies, ending the anonymity associated with such exchanges;

As of 01.01.2017 the EU directive must be transposed into national law.
Perhaps BaFin was so fast and turns it already now.

what about bitstamp? will bitstamp be shut down in germany too? now news on their website.

They're good in Germany:
Bitstamp’s license is passportable into the 28 EU member states providing all European customers with a robust, secure platform for bitcoin trading.

https://www.bitstamp.net/article/bitstamp-first-nationally-licensed-btc-exchange/
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1113
July 07, 2016, 01:05:21 PM
The European Commission plans new rules on anti-money laundering.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-2380_en.htm

and there is a part to virtual currencies:

Tackling terrorist financing risks linked to virtual currencies: to prevent misuse of virtual currencies for money laundering and terrorist financing purposes, the Commission proposes to bring virtual currency exchange platforms and custodian wallet providers under the scope of the Anti-Money Laundering Directive. These entities will have to apply customer due diligence controls when exchanging virtual for real currencies, ending the anonymity associated with such exchanges;

As of 01.01.2017 the EU directive must be transposed into national law.
Perhaps BaFin was so fast and turns it already now.

what about bitstamp? will bitstamp be shut down in germany too? now news on their website.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
July 07, 2016, 12:04:32 PM
I am not sure how feasible it would be to use a VPN

An excellent way to get your account frozen.  Would only do it if there were no other options, which there are.

It doesn't matter what Germany does, Bitcoin is a global decentralized currency that no one country or person can prevent from happening.  I like news like this, it means they are scared  Grin
Careful with that edge, Eugene.
legendary
Activity: 1848
July 07, 2016, 11:53:09 AM
Wow, I did not realise that it was not allowed in these countries, Coinbase seem to be very strict in terms of abiding by the different laws, I guess to operate in this scene you have to somewhat.

I am not sure how feasible it would be to use a VPN as you would surely need to link you bank details as that's how Coinbase allows you to buy and sell and I would think it would show up that you are located in DE via your bank details

Pages:
Jump to: