Pages:
Author

Topic: Coinlab Bringing Bitcoin to Wall Street with MtGox Deal - page 2. (Read 7919 times)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
a pertinent post I saw on reddit:

From what I understand of how the international banking system works, whenever a foreign bank holds USD (i.e. mt.gox bank that you wire your USD to), what's actually happening is their bank has partner bank in the US that holds their USD for them. So it would already be possible to seize or prevent Mt.Gox from transacting in USD the way it's set up now. This move would just simplify the process for US customers as there would be no foreign intermediary bank involved.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

I am pretty confident we are the new wealthy elite, gentlemen.

At this point, how many coins does one need to be considered the new wealthy elite?  Wink

About 7.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
I agree with casascius and I'd even go further.. I think this is amazing news.  At the same time I am kind of sad with all this good news floating in too soon....  before I could get as many coins as I wanted.
Activity: 160
Merit: 100
The risk of a problem with MtGox has been the greatest risk in Bitcoin's recent rise to stardom, and this is a plausible (and exciting) fix for that.  

Nailed it!

Note though, I am coming from a perspective of understanding to some extent how business actually works, and not some pie in the sky fantasy of how MtGox should be some sort of anarchist stronghold waging some kind of cyber war with the big bad government and banks.  Those who are saying "this sucks, Bitcoin as we know it is ruined" ought to sell their coins now and get out while they are ahead!

I suspect most of them have already sold.
Activity: 227
Regulation, when it comes to Bitcoin, will always be an option, not an obligatory quality.

Complying with the law and paying taxes makes sure that there is absolutely no legal ground for any western government to ban Bitcoin. No government would be able to bring the network down of course, but any ban would hurt businesses using Bitcoin significantly.

I can imagine a future where Bitcoin is seamlessly integrated in the existing banking world, with ordinary consumers hardly noticing the difference yet without ever having to worry about inflation. Only the early bitcoiners would still access the blockchain directly.

I am pretty confident we are the new wealthy elite, gentlemen.

At this point, how many coins does one need to be considered the new wealthy elite?  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1004
It's not bad business to wave off 2 in the bush for 1 in the hand, especially if you know you got your hands full!

You shouldn't own a business without first being prepared for success.

If you can't handle a business as the sole proprietor and employee, then hire people who can help handle the workload. If you are incapable of doing that, then you shouldn't be a business owner in the first place IMO.

Oh, come on. Have a little perspective. Scaling is hard. This CoinLab deal is a pretty decent solution.

Even Larry and Sergei brought in a new CEO to handle Google's mega-growth phase. Smart business operators realize their own limitations and proactively seek solutions. I agree with Mike that that's what Karpeles did here.
Activity: 210
It's not bad business to wave off 2 in the bush for 1 in the hand, especially if you know you got your hands full!

If you can't handle a business as the sole proprietor and employee, then hire people who can help handle the workload. If you are incapable of doing that, then you shouldn't be a business owner in the first place IMO.

Yes, but there is a difference between what people 'should' and 'ought' to do and the dreadful day-to-day reality where it may just happen that the right people aren't always in the right position. The market can fix that and it seems to have done so now.
Activity: 700
daytrader/superhero

Activity: 616
chimminy christmas.. and here us coinlab miners were wondering if this company was going to do anything with that gpu compute thing and the pool...

then BAM! they're the new mtgox.

I'm excited about this though. buying/selling needs to be made a LOT easier for increased trading.
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1140
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
It has nothing to do with conspiracy, it's just bad buisiness to wave off a huge chunk of your customer base.

Activity: 141
Evolve: you'll be able to use the same gox interface. I agree with you on Gox' proven security, we'll have more to say about that soon.
Activity: 700
daytrader/superhero
I wish I knew what all of the fuss and naysaying is about.

Because not all of us have confidence in CoinLabs security capabilities (whereas post hack MT.Gox is pretty fucking secure now), nor do we know how this will effect liquidity, fees or any number of things.

On top of that, after using a particular service for 2 years, I don't like being moved to a new one (particularly with so many unknowns), much less with little to no notice.

It has nothing to do with conspiracy, it's just bad buisiness to wave off a huge chunk of your customer base.
Activity: 141
Hi all,

I'm loving the discussion here, and appreciating the feedback. We got caught blind by the early announcement, so we've been heads-down today, sorry about that. I'll circle back this evening pacific time and try and hit up questions, perhaps in a new thread so that we can edit the head post.

Best,

Peter
Activity: 105
Merit: 10
I wish I knew what all of the fuss and naysaying is about.  Conspiracy theories?  I say come on, having some sort of local (US) presence with some real necks on the line is far better than sending money overseas to a company who doesn't feel (or doesn't have time for) any accountability toward me.  I don't know this first hand, but I gather that MtGox is in over their heads and that Mr. Karpeles has no idea how to scale and turn various sensitive procedures he has historically handled by himself into ones that can be delegated to prime-time scale while remaining secure (a problem I'm familiar with), and is relieved to have someone come and take a heavy burden off of him (and pay him well in the process).  If I were Mr. Karpeles, I'd be scared shitless at the prospect that Bitcoin may explode tenfold in the next several months if it were my belief that my trusted four or eight or whatever guys are already swamped with the workload now.  Wanting to give the biggest chunk of my business to someone in a better position to handle it while still being able to lend and benefit from my acquired expertise would be the best move I could possibly think of.

Everything I read about this deal is consistent with what I wish would happen with MtGox.  I view this as entirely positive.  The risk of a problem with MtGox has been the greatest risk in Bitcoin's recent rise to stardom, and this is a plausible (and exciting) fix for that.  There will be more minds at work and more resourceful people risking their assets for this venture, and on the flip side, more talent and more ability to be responsive to problems as they arise, and more ability to deal with the growth.

Note though, I am coming from a perspective of understanding to some extent how business actually works, and not some pie in the sky fantasy of how MtGox should be some sort of anarchist stronghold waging some kind of cyber war with the big bad government and banks.  Those who are saying "this sucks, Bitcoin as we know it is ruined" ought to sell their coins now and get out while they are ahead!
OMG!  A well thought out and coherent post on the bitcoin forum!  There is hope after all.  While I am a little concerned about this transition with Mtgox (if it were to happen), I fully agree with the the attached post.  If a user feels that this business model undermined how they want to use bitcoin, they don't have to use it.  I think some of the authors of other posts to this thread need to take off the tinfoil hats and come out of the bunker.
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1140
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
I wish I knew what all of the fuss and naysaying is about.  Conspiracy theories?  I say come on, having some sort of local (US) presence with some real necks on the line is far better than sending money overseas to a company who doesn't feel (or doesn't have time for) any accountability toward me.  I don't know this first hand, but I gather that MtGox is in over their heads and that Mr. Karpeles has no idea how to scale and turn various sensitive procedures he has historically handled by himself into ones that can be delegated to prime-time scale while remaining secure (a problem I'm familiar with), and is relieved to have someone come and take a heavy burden off of him (and pay him well in the process).  If I were Mr. Karpeles, I'd be scared shitless at the prospect that Bitcoin may explode tenfold in the next several months if it were my belief that my trusted four or eight or whatever guys are already swamped with the workload now.  Wanting to give the biggest chunk of my business to someone in a better position to handle it while still being able to lend and benefit from my acquired expertise would be the best move I could possibly think of.

Everything I read about this deal is consistent with what I wish would happen with MtGox.  I view this as entirely positive.  The risk of a problem with MtGox has been the greatest risk in Bitcoin's recent rise to stardom, and this is a plausible (and exciting) fix for that.  There will be more minds at work and more resourceful people risking their assets for this venture, and on the flip side, more talent and more ability to be responsive to problems as they arise, and more ability to deal with the growth.

legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
I dont understand:

1. Do ALL funds of MtGox transactions go through Coinlab then or only deposits/withdrawals from/to US based customers?

2. What does it change for institutional investors?

Could someone enlighten me?
Activity: 119
ide rather they stayed in japan. ill be cleaning out mt gox before this deal  is completed.
Activity: 756
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye
Wow. Nice going! I wonder how the bears will spin this into a negative.  Grin

Not a bear but this means more regulation.  Buy or sell on mt gox from the u.s. and everything will be reported to the irs.

THe way I see it, there are now, and always will be, too many good ways to get in and out of bitcoin besides MtGox for this to be a problem.

I want there to be a "we report to IRS" official way to get bitcoins, because then there will be someone to fill the role of being an exchange viewed as legitimate, to fulfill the need of providing liquidity and helping the market accurately reflect a market price.  MtGox's current shortcomings (understaffed, no audit, sometimes arbitrary delays and actions with your money, worry about whether they might have assets seized) have a negative effect on the bitcoin economy, we would all benefit for these issues to be resolved, and that can only happen by playing by the rules.

For some people wanting to get into bitcoins, having the transactions reported to the IRS is a good thing. I am thinking of large investment banks or whoever, everything they do is already scrutinized and regulated, so if they can't do a regulated entry into bitcoin then they just don't.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1002
Angry Backroom crony capitalism is what this looks like. The title of this article is a flat out lie, only wishful thinking. Coinlab has no deal with any “Wall Street” firms or major financial institutions.
Mark Karpeles the owner of Mt.Gox DID NOT do this willingling. This is the result of staggering behind the scenes legal and political pressure. Why didn't Coinlab just open their own exchange and compete fairly for the customers IF THEY HAVE SUCH A HOT VALUE PROPOSITION?
Ironically, this demonstrates that Coinlab and their backers don’t fully grasp bitcoins implications. Because thanks to bitcoin, my family, my businesses and customers don't have to sit idly by and be victimized by 'old school' tactics. We will not tolerate being kidnaped and secretly spirited back to economic tyranny. This might give bitcoin a short term boost but it is very bad for liberty in the US. WAKE UP AMERICA, we are being hemmed in, the borders a closing.
“Bitcoin is a global leaderless movement for currency independence and personal liberty" BitcoinATM

Respectfully,
Todd Bethell, CFM, MBA
949-394-5932
[email protected]
[email protected]

That was a long list of absolutes. You have anything to base them on or are you speculating?
Activity: 105
Lighten up Francis.  Nobody has to use Mtgox or coin lab if they don't want to.
Pages:
Jump to: