Pages:
Author

Topic: Coinlab Bringing Bitcoin to Wall Street with MtGox Deal - page 3. (Read 7919 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 250
Angry Backroom crony capitalism is what this looks like. The title of this article is a flat out lie, only wishful thinking. Coinlab has no deal with any “Wall Street” firms or major financial institutions.
Mark Karpeles the owner of Mt.Gox DID NOT do this willingling. This is the result of staggering behind the scenes legal and political pressure. Why didn't Coinlab just open their own exchange and compete fairly for the customers IF THEY HAVE SUCH A HOT VALUE PROPOSITION?
Ironically, this demonstrates that Coinlab and their backers don’t fully grasp bitcoins implications. Because thanks to bitcoin, my family, my businesses and customers don't have to sit idly by and be victimized by 'old school' tactics. We will not tolerate being kidnaped and secretly spirited back to economic tyranny. This might give bitcoin a short term boost but it is very bad for liberty in the US. WAKE UP AMERICA, we are being hemmed in, the borders a closing.
“Bitcoin is a global leaderless movement for currency independence and personal liberty" BitcoinATM

Respectfully,
Todd Bethell, CFM, MBA
949-394-5932
[email protected]
[email protected]

I'd sign that pertition from across the pond.
Activity: 49
Merit: 1
 Angry Backroom crony capitalism is what this looks like. The title of this article is a flat out lie, only wishful thinking. Coinlab has no deal with any “Wall Street” firms or major financial institutions.
Mark Karpeles the owner of Mt.Gox DID NOT do this willingling. This is the result of staggering behind the scenes legal and political pressure. Why didn't Coinlab just open their own exchange and compete fairly for the customers IF THEY HAVE SUCH A HOT VALUE PROPOSITION?
Ironically, this demonstrates that Coinlab and their backers don’t fully grasp bitcoins implications. Because thanks to bitcoin, my family, my businesses and customers don't have to sit idly by and be victimized by 'old school' tactics. We will not tolerate being kidnaped and secretly spirited back to economic tyranny. This might give bitcoin a short term boost but it is very bad for liberty in the US. WAKE UP AMERICA, we are being hemmed in, the borders a closing.
“Bitcoin is a global leaderless movement for currency independence and personal liberty" BitcoinATM

Respectfully,
Todd Bethell, CFM, MBA
949-394-5932
[email protected]
[email protected]
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
i actually have noticed this too; they seem to be all over the place with different projects but nothing substantive yet.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001
So when somebody has a mtgox account, what type of bitcoin will they theoretically be holding when the hard fork is created in the very near future.  Do they hold bitcoin within the original chain with the 1mb block size limit?  Or do they theoretically hold bitcoin from the next chain with the higher block size?  Or both?

If all your coins are at MtGox, you aren't holding any bitcoins at all. You are holding a promissory note.

Anybody who keeps all their BTC at MtGox (or any other exchange or intermediary) must do so with full awareness of the risks they're incurring. If you're going to trade, then keep whatever you need to trade there, but with the multiple secure options now available to hold your BTC yourself, there's little excuse for offloading onto an exchange.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Thumbs up Holliday, We gonna fight this. The Chinese won't care about such crap either, they have more "human rights" related uses for Bitcoin.

I've never used an exchange period. I certainly don't want fiat, that's why I use Bitcoin to begin with. Let the people who want to move in and out of fiat deal with the repercussions of those actions.

+1

Mt.Gox != bitcoin

It's like saying bitcoin is over because Mt.Gox was hacked at some point.  If you thought any "decentralized" currency wouldn't have anyone interested in opening up a possibly-regulated side industry then you have only been fooling yourself.
Activity: 105
Merit: 10
That's why I qualified my question by asking what you are "theoretically" holding.  Once the hard fork is created and you then want to move bitcoin to a personal wallet, which are you going to get?  Bitcoin from the new or old fork?  Or will account holders suddenly going to have two separate accounts for each fork?
Thumbs up Holliday, We gonna fight this. The Chinese won't care about such crap either, they have more "human rights" related uses for Bitcoin.

I've never used an exchange period. I certainly don't want fiat, that's why I use Bitcoin to begin with. Let the people who want to move in and out of fiat deal with the repercussions of those actions.

Another thing: Having a central Bitcoin processor on American soil makes everybodys accounts on Mt.Gox at risk of siezeure under the current laws. do you wan't to tkake that risk?`Not much political FUD is needed for a total clamp down to sort out "suspect account holders and their transactions"!
Activity: 105
Merit: 10
So when somebody has a mtgox account, what type of bitcoin will they theoretically be holding when the hard fork is created in the very near future.  Do they hold bitcoin within the original chain with the 1mb block size limit?  Or do they theoretically hold bitcoin from the next chain with the higher block size?  Or both?
Activity: 291
This could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how it plays out.  But what I have found about Bitcoin is that if it tries to be controlled by a central authority or government through a certain exchange, the core principal of Bitcoin will win.  Its decentralized and people using it will do what they have to do to avoid centralization.  That exchange will fall flat on its face...
Just finished reading the article a third time and besides being clear cut in the "good news" category, this is also a very sad day for Bitcoin.

For those of you wanting a return on your time and money invested in Bitcoin fine, you've just got it.

For those of you wanting Bitcoin to be decentralized and out of the control of international banking, this is the end!

1. Having an entity clearing all transactions in and out of Bitcoins for all Americans should make you wonder. The excuse of saving a few percent in bank transactions fees, should make you outright scream!

If you for a second let yourself allure into thinking that this is paving the way for Bitcoin adoptation and still preserving all it's strengths, you have not really understood what this is all about, and you could as well have invested in any other startup. Bitcoin is turning green, and I'm not talking about the lower power usage of ASIC miners, It's becoming the new Dollar, it is on the course to nationalisation of the worst possible kind.

2. Having a single business or a few, legally handling Bitcoin bank transfers in the US gives total government control of Bitcoin for all Americans.
I can't really understand that this forum where a lot of people would love to have less government control in general don't see the dangers of this.

3. Future Bitcoin users will conceive Bitcoin as an American legal alternative currency or asset and not as an international unregulated censor free internet cash payment system.

4. If Coinlab get's in trouble, do they get government backing or bailouts?

5. If a central entity handles money in and out of Bitcoin, how would that, with the help of marketing, not promote such an entity as the authority of Bitcoin?

Wake up, this is not the future you want for your children.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1002
Doesn't sound like anything is official yet. Mt. Gox has not commented on this deal.
Mt. Gox hasn't even fixed the typo in its Google description yet. I don't think a comment will be expected. Their PR is a mess.
LOL. You'd think with the amount of business they are doing, they'd run a tighter ship.

This announcement sounds like really good news, for all of us. Hopefully it will address a lot of the problems I've seen with mtgox, at least for US customers. If the 80% figure is accurate, that may help the rest of their userbase out as well, as the customer service issues should be cut by ~80% for the mtgox HQ.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Doesn't sound like anything is official yet. Mt. Gox has not commented on this deal.
Mt. Gox hasn't even fixed the typo in its Google description yet. I don't think a comment will be expected. Their PR is a mess.
Activity: 144
Merit: 101
Activity: 520
Merit: 500
Wow. Nice going! I wonder how the bears will spin this into a negative.  Grin

The part about adding a way to short bitcoin should make the bears happy. Smiley

Perhaps it'll be a "futures" exchange where bitcoin can be traded between parties that don't have any physical coins, lol. TPTB would love to have that, I'm sure!
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
I wonder if it means MtGox is going to sell people's identity information to Coinlab.

-MarkM-
Activity: 462
Wow. Nice going! I wonder how the bears will spin this into a negative.  Grin

Not a bear but this means more regulation.  Buy or sell on mt gox from the u.s. and everything will be reported to the irs.

thats what i was thinking.  i wonder if one could still buy directly from mtgox as a US citizen?

and i suppose one could still buy from an intl exchange.

I wonder how they handle this.

Many USD fund acct are not from US or Canada.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Wonderful, but where's my bitcoin ETF?

So frustrating to have money in my 401k, but nothing I can buy there to invest in bitcoin growth. Even a penny stock investing in bitcoin would make me happy. Right now the number of ticker options for exposing a normal trading portfolio to bitcoin is: zero.

Together with Google Wallet accepting Bitcoin, having a Bitcoin ETF would be the greatest step forward for our beloved currency.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031
Rational Exuberance
Wonderful, but where's my bitcoin ETF?

So frustrating to have money in my 401k, but nothing I can buy there to invest in bitcoin growth. Even a penny stock investing in bitcoin would make me happy. Right now the number of ticker options for exposing a normal trading portfolio to bitcoin is: zero.

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Regulation, when it comes to Bitcoin, will always be an option, not an obligatory quality.

Complying with the law and paying taxes makes sure that there is absolutely no legal ground for any western government to ban Bitcoin. No government would be able to bring the network down of course, but any ban would hurt businesses using Bitcoin significantly.

I can imagine a future where Bitcoin is seamlessly integrated in the existing banking world, with ordinary consumers hardly noticing the difference yet without ever having to worry about inflation. Only the early bitcoiners would still access the blockchain directly.

I am pretty confident we are the new wealthy elite, gentlemen.
Pages:
Jump to: