Pages:
Author

Topic: CoinLab suing MtGox for $75 milliion? - page 13. (Read 19414 times)

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
This is gonna be interesting given that there are very high profile Bitcoin people on both sides of this lawsuit (Roger Ver is a CoinLab investor).

Yet another lawsuit involving Mr. Ver.  There go some more of my tax dollars to support Bitcoin participants.  I'm not complaining per-se...but sheesh.  Can't these guys just shoot eachother or something?
Doesn't the losing party in civil court generally pay court costs?

Certainly not if they are indigent.  "Can't get blood from a turnip" so they say.

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
This is gonna be interesting given that there are very high profile Bitcoin people on both sides of this lawsuit (Roger Ver is a CoinLab investor).

Yet another lawsuit involving Mr. Ver.  There go some more of my tax dollars to support Bitcoin participants.  I'm not complaining per-se...but sheesh.  Can't these guys just shoot eachother or something?
Doesn't the losing party in civil court generally pay court costs?
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
no court stamp on the Doc that I can see
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
If real, the complaint should be available at http://www.pacer.gov/

*edit*

I couldn't locate the case on PACER.  I'll check again tomorrow.

In the meantime, maybe someone's trying to pick up some cheap Bitcoins.

Possible. However, in the document it says it was filed May 2 (today), so it's very reasonable that it hasn't been served yet.
Could be real even if Gox hasn't received the Complaint yet.  Federal civil actions must be filed with the court before serving the defendant.  See below.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcp/rule_3
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

There's a link to the court documents in the Gawker article.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/139160091/Coinlab-v-Mt-Gox

If this is legit and Gox hasn't yet been served then it would be because Coinlab's attorneys have already filed the suit, but have yet to serve. A court house search in that jurisdiction would confirm or debunk this, but that won't be possible until tomorrow anyway.

In the meantime, maybe someone's trying to pick up some cheap Bitcoins.

Trouble with that document is it's hard to verify it's authenticity.

If this is legit and Gox hasn't yet been served then it would be because Coinlab's attorneys have already filed the suit, but have yet to serve. A court house search in that jurisdiction would confirm or debunk this, but that won't be possible until tomorrow anyway.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
May 02, 2013, 08:57:26 PM
Just make sure this is a true story before spreading it everywhere.

Yesterday we had false story of MtGox being raided by police. Today MtGox being sued for $75m.

It might well be true, but please someone contact CoinLab first to verify.

"Coinlab is demanding $75 million in damages, and even that, it says, "likely underestimates the actual damages.""

Lawyers normally demand far more damages than "actual damages" - is this really real?

May 02, 2013, 08:55:46 PM
I predict a 25% loss in value by this time tomorrow evening.

Wonder what would happen if they disable those customer accounts right now...

Are you looking to buy cheap Bitcoins?
May 02, 2013, 08:53:08 PM

Yesterday we had false story of MtGox being raided by police. Today MtGox being sued for $75m.

CoinLab have already said they haven't been served yet.

CoinLab are the people serving the writ. Its MtGox that said they haven't been served yet.

That's what I said  Grin
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
May 02, 2013, 08:52:06 PM

Wonder what would happen if they disable those customer accounts right now...
Activity: 518
May 02, 2013, 08:51:06 PM

CoinLab are the people serving the writ. Its MtGox that said they haven't been served yet.
May 02, 2013, 08:49:35 PM

Activity: 518
May 02, 2013, 08:48:56 PM

"Coinlab is demanding $75 million in damages, and even that, it says, "likely underestimates the actual damages.""

Lawyers normally demand far more damages than "actual damages" - is this really real?
May 02, 2013, 08:47:29 PM
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
May 02, 2013, 08:44:18 PM
It didn't work out that way, according to a lawsuit filed today by Coinlab's attorneys in Washington State. Coinlab alleges that Mt. Gox has breached a contract clause which was supposed to give Coinlab exclusive access to the North American market. "Defendants have breached the exclusivity provisions of the Agreement by directly servicing customers in the United States and Canada since the Agreement took effect," the lawsuit states.

Coinlab also says Mt. Gox hasn't allowed them to transition existing U.S. and Canadian customers from Mt. Gox to Coinlab, as agreed in the contract. "Despite repeated requests to do so, Mt. Gox has failed to deliver all passwords, Yubikeys, administrative logins and any other security information required so that CoinLab may assume operation of the Bitcoin exchange services for customers in the United States and Canada."

Coinlab is demanding $75 million in damages, and even that, it says, "likely underestimates the actual damages."

http://gawker.com/massive-bitcoin-business-partnership-devolves-into-75-487857656?rev=1367540238

Pages:
Jump to: