Pages:
Author

Topic: Coins kept in exchange, are they safe? - page 49. (Read 5685 times)

Activity: 175
Merit: 0
June 17, 2018, 07:11:12 AM
I guess it depends on the coin but I would say that for the major ones, wallet are safer than exchanges, obviosuly if you trade a big number of coins it can get quite annoying and confusing...but you should lock-in most of the profits in major cryptos (btc, eth..) and keep them in a wallet
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
June 17, 2018, 07:02:57 AM
I feel keeping our coins in exchanges, mininize the risk of loosing our coins to wallet hackers.
So far, i didnt loose any coins/tokens in my wallets and in exchanges that im holding. It depends how you keep your wallets and accounts password to be your coins/tokens be secured. For me it is good both wallets  and in exchanges you keep your coins.
Activity: 238
UNCLOAK™ - Cyber Threat Detection Powered by EOS™
June 17, 2018, 06:56:31 AM
I feel keeping our coins in exchanges, mininize the risk of loosing our coins to wallet hackers.

I usually keep some of my coins on exchanges, but only on good ones, my favorite is Bittrex, it's certainly not safe, but it's very convenient, I think that for the sake of this convenience it is worth risking part of your savings.
copper member
Activity: 79
Merit: 1
June 17, 2018, 06:48:40 AM
If you are suing a reputed exchange, there is no need to worry. you can split the coin in multiple exchanges to be safe.
Activity: 434
Merit: 255
June 17, 2018, 06:41:44 AM
In today's world, there is no safe way to store your coins. You can only minimize the risk of losing your coins. To do this, you need to store them in different places and never store a large number of coins in one place. Personally, I have not had a single case of losing coins. But I regularly hear about the hacking of exchanges.
Activity: 350
Merit: 10
June 17, 2018, 06:37:52 AM
I think it's safe if you keep your funds in exchange sites for short period of time one month to couple of months.. The best option is buying a hard wallet.

Yes I think its safe keeping funds in exchanges, I tried already for months and my money is still intact and complete. But ofcourse the best is if you have your wallet, its more safer in there.
Activity: 56
June 16, 2018, 04:35:33 PM
For me it is not a good idea, to think that there are many incidents that a certain exchange had been hacked, others due to some regulation forcing you to withdraw all coins in given time, I think hardware wallet is most safer.
Activity: 238
ARIZN - Tokenised Crowdfunding Platform
June 16, 2018, 04:17:57 PM

I think both ways have same kind of risks. In my opinion, every trader should minimize the risks by being careful about some points about the security.
Activity: 1039
Merit: 250
BabelFish - FISH Token Sale at Sovryn
June 16, 2018, 04:09:18 PM

if you compared to store a coin in exchange and in the wallet
i think keep your coin in the wallet is safer than in exchange my friend
or you can buy a hardware wallet because hardware wallet is the safest way to store your coins
Activity: 406
Merit: 36
June 16, 2018, 04:07:18 PM
You are getting it wrong. What you should be afraid of is a centralized exchange having an attack or some problem which can make you lose all your funds. The fact here is that you do not have the full control of your funds and that makes it more like you have nothing at all. If you are looking for good security of your funds, then either go the cold storage way or get a hardware wallet. If you are not trading, never leave your assets on an exchange and even if you are trading, only leave what you are trading with on an exchange.
Activity: 196
June 16, 2018, 04:04:26 PM
don't leave your coins on exchange it not safe it better to transfer it to hardware or wallet...exchange are the major target of hacker so be wise
Activity: 602
Merit: 104
June 16, 2018, 03:45:44 PM
if the amount is large and coins are bought for a long time, it is better not to store on the stock exchange and transfer to a hardware purse
Activity: 756
June 16, 2018, 03:27:29 PM
well, put your coins in exchanges also not necessarily safe, even in my opinion exchange more hacked by hacker than wallet, like Coinrail exchange which recently been successfully hacked, you better keep your coin in wallet like myetherwallet
Activity: 886
Merit: 510
June 16, 2018, 03:07:34 PM
As most people here already said, it's absolutely not a good idea:

- Exchanges get hacked, and most of the times you burn when they lose crypto. Some of these hacks are even suspicious of being actually scams.

- Exchanges can steal your money, like bittrex did with a lot of sudden banned accounts with no warnings a while back.

- They can freeze your crypto from time to time because of "outage" or "maintenance" which sometimes takes too long.

- They sometimes delist a coin, and if you, for any reason, don't withdraw it soon you'll probably lose it.

And so on and so forth...

Just forget it. It ain't a good idea.
June 16, 2018, 02:30:33 PM
If you have just very small amount of money (for example below 100$) I think you can leave on exchanges (even if it's better to withdraw to your wallet) but if you have big amount of money it's really crazy and very dangerous to leave them on exhanges..just buy an hardware wallet in these cases  Wink
Activity: 574
Merit: 102
June 16, 2018, 02:28:15 PM
I think it's safe if you keep your funds in exchange sites for short period of time one month to couple of months.. The best option is buying a hard wallet.
Activity: 420
Merit: 13
June 16, 2018, 02:27:38 PM
It depends on the amount involved. If this amount is more than $ 1000, it is better to withdraw money from the stock exchange if you do not trade for a long time.
Activity: 45
June 16, 2018, 02:23:11 PM
All Exchanges are not created equal and one can still lose exchange coins due to exchange getting hacked or shutdown due to government regulation or some other reason. So it is useful to keep a good portion of your coins in your own wallet. To reduce the risk, use multiple exchanges and multiple wallets too.

Agreed, keeping your funds in an exchanger is extremely dangerous, You can control your funds in an exchanger, better use a hardware wallet or some cold wallets to store your coins.
June 16, 2018, 02:18:25 PM
Everyone writes that keeping money on the wallets of the exchange is unsafe. I heard that the exchange can be hacked, but MEW wallets are hacked even more often. Only my 2 wallet was hacked. And my acquaintances also wagged their wallets. So wallets can be hacked on exchanges and hacked, but personal wallets are hacked more often.
The MEW wallet has never been hacked. It is not true. Hacked DNS. But it's not the same as hacking the MEW. I think that the MEW wallet is one of the most reliable options at the moment.
Activity: 364
Merit: 106
June 16, 2018, 02:13:23 PM
If wallet can be hacked, what makes other exchanges not prone to hackers? Actually, exchanges are the most prominent sites that are being targeted by hackers because they hold most of the coin of people who participates in trading. Therefore, keeping your coins in an exchange, especially is not a very good idea. Just imagine, if you are a hacker, which more likely will you choose to hack?

A. an anonymous wallet with some coins on it
B. An exchange site with tons of coins

Of course the answer is pretty much obvious especially if one is a skilled hacker. Although, most exchanges are protected by extra layers of protection and defenses, but this can also be cracked down.

Therefore, it is also and not entirely safe. Plus, exchanges can go bankrupt and closed down. They also tend to go into an a site update or maintenance.
Pages:
Jump to: