Pages:
Author

Topic: Cold storage security - page 4. (Read 4993 times)

Activity: 247
Merit: 250
September 12, 2012, 01:26:46 PM
I'm sure you'll be fine.  You pay taxes right?  Just give the police a heads up & they'll send a patrolman over ASAP.

Seriously though, depending on how much you may have access to, you may want to hire a private security firm.  Build the cost into the price.
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
September 12, 2012, 12:37:27 PM
casascius - it seems you misunderstood my intent.  I am not looking for long-term storage.  I would need to have the cold storage transactions signed every 24 hours.  If I had to drive to do it, then I could make that happen, but having to gather pieces every day, then redistribute them would seem highly impractical.  Sorry if I did not make this clear in my OP.

It sounds like I have conveyed enough of the basic concept though, in any case, for you to craft a specific plan that would be more appropriate for your needs.  Assuming of course you thought it was a good idea.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
September 12, 2012, 12:18:42 PM
casascius - it seems you misunderstood my intent.  I am not looking for long-term storage.  I would need to have the cold storage transactions signed every 24 hours.  If I had to drive to do it, then I could make that happen, but having to gather pieces every day, then redistribute them would seem highly impractical.  Sorry if I did not make this clear in my OP.
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
September 12, 2012, 12:02:04 PM
Use m-of-n private key (a working implementation with source for Windows: https://casascius.com/btcaddress.zip - Vitalik Buterin also created one in python that works a bit differently)

Don't keep all the pieces in one place.  Use any and all of the following to hide some or all of the pieces: safety deposit boxes, with friends/family, with estate-planning attorney, as well as hidden where only you know.  A critical element of several of the places is that getting access to them takes time, effort, and involves the scrutiny of other people who can't be put under duress by an attacker as easily, and in some cases hopefully can't be identified by a would-be attacker.

Create a document and keep it in your own home that explains that the key is in pieces and drop hints as to how to acquire and assemble the pieces that would only be fully understood by people who know you well.  This gives you plausible deniability in a robbery as well as a way for your family to find your stash if your demise is untimely.  Include on a USB stick any software needed for your family to reconstruct the keys once they assemble them, just in case the software becomes unavailable or difficult for your family to find.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
September 12, 2012, 11:57:00 AM
I've thought a lot about a potential Bitcoin business I could start that would be handling people's Bitcoins (albeit for no longer than 24 hours at a time).  Given the number of hacks, and the fact that I am far from an expert on security, this scares me to death.  The only solution, in my mind, is to keep 100% of coins in cold storage, create transactions from an online machine, and have the cold storage offline machine sign the transactions on a USB stick (Armory's method).  For the purposes of my business idea, this should be acceptable.

But here's the problem:  People know where I live (or could easily find out, as I make little effort at hiding my offline identity).  If I have thousands of Bitcoins on hand, and people know that, then I fear I would be making myself a target for home invasion.

Any suggestions?
Pages:
Jump to: