Pages:
Author

Topic: Concerns regarding buying bitcoins offline(udercover cops) - What do you think? - page 2. (Read 2542 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Didnt even need to read all that

Here is a simple solution for you, cops are supposed to say yes when you ask "are you a cop"?

Just ask everytime you meet a local trader.

(sigh) You really need to educate yourself on that issue.   Completely wrong.
Activity: 854
Merit: 500
Nope..
I would think that having the person you trade with sign an acknowledgement form indicating that the transaction is still responsible for all financial reporting requirements under laws and that in no way is this transaction meant to circumvent these laws.  

What you want to remove is the "intent" element.  Try to comply as much as you know how to.  I'm not a lawyer, but I've worked some of these cases.  If there is any mention of illegal activities, stop there.  Decline the transaction and walk away.  Report it.  Etc., etc..  

Perhaps one of our legal members could draw up something for traders to use and post it here.
Activity: 658
Why is it illegal to sell $5K of a commodity?

I hope you're not serious. The OP is just being retard for not understanding the news report.

Its not illegal to buy and sell bitcoin.
Activity: 6
Merit: 0

I am speechless as you are but strange things occur. I heard the other day some guy was held on airport just talking about bitcoins. WTF?
Activity: 637
Merit: 502
Activity: 766
Merit: 509
1. Why don't you just split up the transactions
2. If they are trying to catch Bitcoin sellers, then why are you concerned about being busted as a buyer?
3. I don't think that it is a big issue as long as you do not buy everything in 1 massive transaction.
4. Buy on Coinbase and then put the coins through a tumbler into another wallet.  It turns out to be cheaper than most LocalBitcoin advertisements and is physically safer than Localbitcoins.

This is all assuming that you want your Bitcoins to be anonymous? If not, just buy on Coinbase and don't be sketched out about Bitcoin, it isn't like you are buying drugs Grin
Here is a simple solution for you, cops are supposed to say yes when you ask "are you a cop"?

What? no. Haven't you ever watched reality TV cop shows? They about being a cop all the time!

Shhh,,.... you ruined the fun, party pooper
I highly doubt when someone is undercover they need to say yes when you ask him if he is a cop haha but it would definitely be epic. I see undercover feds as the ones that can get away with such things and kinda sure they would say no to it. But i did not work in law enforcement carrer to know the details.

It definitely is something to think about since why would they do that, what is their agenda on that.
Activity: 14

What? no. Haven't you ever watched reality TV cop shows? They lie about being a cop all the time!
I was thinking to buy some bitcoins but i have few concerns since using Localbitcoin is i am not sure really the right way to go. I did hear from few friends which they warned me that feds are trying to use sites like that to catch people selling their bitcoin in $5K or more in person and then they would accuse you of laundering money. (i dont want to go into jail because of bitcoins)

What do you think about this things? I did hear some sort of stories occur in past. It might be an issue to be aware off or not?

Didnt even need to read all that

Cheesy
  Shocked
Activity: 82
Merit: 10
Yes, they are doing that.
I was thinking to buy some bitcoins but i have few concerns since using Localbitcoin is i am not sure really the right way to go. I did hear from few friends which they warned me that feds are trying to use sites like that to catch people selling their bitcoin in $5K or more in person and then they would accuse you of laundering money. (i dont want to go into jail because of bitcoins)

What do you think about this things? I did hear some sort of stories occur in past. It might be an issue to be aware off or not?
Pages:
Jump to: