Pages:
Author

Topic: [CONFIRMED] The Bitcoin Foundation Wants to Be an Authoritarian Hegemony - page 2. (Read 4083 times)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500
... it only gets better...
I will be watching this foundation and I hope many of you are right but your executive director and some board members are, indeed, making calls for power.

+1
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
I will be watching this foundation and I hope many of you are right but your executive director and some board members are, indeed, making calls for power.

Also, and I'm not sure how to put this perfectly... but remember that statements made by the board members might be targeted to the outside world and not to the Bitcoin community. Read between the lines there and ponder on that strategically for a bit Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

Matt,

Again, another opinion.

No one has made 'calls for power' only what you think are so.

If you are so afraid, join the foundation and run for a board seat to protect our calls for power

-Charlie
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
legendary
Guys, the International Astronomical Union wants to have total control/monopoly over astronomical units. Are they going to kill me for calling Pluto a planet? This doesn't bode well for free speech. Atlas, get on it.

This is different. This is money. Money is power.

Matt,

The IAU has more money and power than that of the Bitcoin foundation.

Get your facts straight

-Charlie
legendary
I know a few retailers/merchants who were considering using Bitcoin. They've backed out since the "foundation" was announced. Sad.

Anecdotal. I know others, who are big, who like to see some form of structure and are more enthusiastic about getting involved with Bitcoin now that the Foundation was announced.

And to say that the Bitcoin Foundation wants to be an "authorian hegemony" is absurd. People need to stop confusing voluntary order and voluntary structure with coercive, mandated structure. Don't let your legitimate fear of the latter cloud your ability to see the virtue in the former.

Hegemony can be voluntary but it is still a social force with a sphere of influence. This can become a central cult of personality. Some of us do not want a central sphere of influence around Bitcoin regardless if its opt-in or opt-out.

Social power can change everything. We do not want Bitcoin becoming a neutered project at the hands of big business.

Feel free to say its your right to try to be a leader. It's my right to try to stop this leadership as well.

Atlas,

You are also a social force with a sphere of influence, as am I. Everyone involved influences everyone else, and some more than others.

And how would "big business" (I hate this term by the way, as if there is something wrong with a business so successful that it becomes larger than others...) "neuter" Bitcoin? It's open source software - do whatever the hell you want with it. And just as you have the right to do whatever you want with it, so does a large business, and if people want to make a group and call themselves the Foundation, they also have the right to do so and can proceed with any Bitcoin endeavors they wish. These influences all create struggle, but that's called a marketplace, and indeed the entire point of fostering a truly free market is to create an environment in which such struggles can occur. Rather than violating this principle, the Foundation is emblematic of it.  And of course, you have every right to work/speak/act against them if you so wish.

vip
Activity: 198
Merit: 101
Guys, the International Astronomical Union wants to have total control/monopoly over astronomical units. Are they going to kill me for calling Pluto a planet? This doesn't bode well for free speech. Atlas, get on it.

It's not different at all man. You are the most cynical nutjob on this forum.

The "Bitcoin Foundation" works no differently than a union or a more organized dev team. You honestly preferred an exclusive, self-appointed team of developers over an organized structure of participation and research? Besides, even if this Bitcoin Foundation is evil, it can only have a positive influence over Bitcoin. The users and miners are still and always will be in control.

This is all just reactionary crap. There are some serious conspiracy theorists here.

legendary

I love you.
vip
Activity: 198
Merit: 101
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
And to say that the Bitcoin Foundation wants to be an "authorian hegemony" is absurd. People need to stop confusing voluntary order and voluntary structure with coercive, mandated structure. Don't let your legitimate fear of the latter cloud your ability to see the virtue in the former.

Well and succinctly spoken, +1

legendary
I know a few retailers/merchants who were considering using Bitcoin. They've backed out since the "foundation" was announced. Sad.

Anecdotal. I know others, who are big, who like to see some form of structure and are more enthusiastic about getting involved with Bitcoin now that the Foundation was announced.

Hegemony can be voluntary but it is still a social force with a sphere of influence. This can become a central cult of personality. Some of us do not want a central sphere of influence around Bitcoin regardless if its opt-in or opt-out.

Social power can change everything. We do not want Bitcoin becoming a neutered project at the hands of big business.

Feel free to say its your right to try to be a leader. It's my right to try to stop this leadership as well.
Too bad you can't do anything about it.
But I am. Eventually this organization and its endeavors will be under a microscope.

At the first sign of bad faith and an evolution towards a milder, regulated Bitcoin, there will be action towards my case.

And until then?

I will continue to raise awareness of the dangers of hegemonious power; private, governmental and combined.

Matt,

While this is great, you kinda also need good arguments that are well thought out.

Also, steer clear of personal attacks, just makes you look like a kid.

-Charlie
Activity: 826

But I am. Eventually this organization and its endeavors will be under a microscope.

At the first sign of bad faith and an evolution towards a milder, regulated Bitcoin, there will be action towards my case.

And until then?

I will continue to raise awareness of the dangers of hegemonious power; private, governmental and combined.

I wouldn't expect anything less of you. -sigh-

And until then?

legendary
Merit: 1002
Activity: 826

And until then?

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

legendary

Pages:
Jump to: