Pages:
Author

Topic: Contrary to Mt.Gox’s Statement, Bitcoin is not at fault - Gavin Andresen 10/2/14 - page 6. (Read 13078 times)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
You are a geek if you are too early to the party!
Transaction malleability has been known about since 2011

Known by whom?

Where is the list of all known Bitcoin issues that I can access and view freely? written in plain non-technical language so that anyone about to invest money into Bitcoin can familiarize themselves with the potential risks?

You say that like it should be somebody's responsibility to provide you with it?

You say that like it shouldn't be somebody's responsibility to provide me with it?

the community nominates:.................................................... dramatic pause

whtchocla7e to find all the information, translate it into laymans terms, and then distribute it to HIS investors. but just one piece of advice, by the time you found such information, the solution is normally found and the so called risk becomes theoretical.

This highlights the biggest problem for Bitcoin of FUD and how easy it is for people like whtchocla7e to get involved in something without doing due diligence.

With MTGox blaming anyone and everyone other than themselves, and far too many people being unaware of the other exchanges, this action is going to do a lot of damage to Bitcoin in the short term.

Maybe it might be an idea to see MTGox being removed from the foundation until they can prove that they are worthy of such a coveted position within the community?

It would also be a good way to demonstrate how the foundation is able to differentiate between personal and professional bitcoin interests ;-)
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
Of course Bitcoin is not at fault.
Oh Gox..
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

Known by whom?

Where is the list of all known Bitcoin issues that I can access and view freely? written in plain non-technical language so that anyone about to invest money into Bitcoin can familiarize themselves with the potential risks?

You say that like it should be somebody's responsibility to provide you with it?

You say that like it shouldn't be somebody's responsibility to provide me with it?

the community nominates:.................................................... dramatic pause

whtchocla7e to find all the information, translate it into laymans terms, and then distribute it to HIS investors. but just one piece of advice, by the time you found such information, the solution is normally found and the so called risk becomes theoretical.

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010
Maybe this was discussed somewhere else but could this be something Gox came up with to buy them time. There are a lot of people who are questioning their liquidity. I doubt they will cut and run because they are too big for that. So maybe they are just coming up with an excuse while they try to solve their money problems.

As Gavin and many others have said...this is not a new fault. Its been openly discussed for years now. So why is Gox suddenly having problems now when nobody else is?

Gox just doesn't want to accept blame for their shit code.
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
we all know its MTGox's custom scripts that are at fault more so then blaiming bitcoin.

we know this because bitcoin is stored on private keys, and if it was a bitcoin issue, we would all have it. so its a local problem with his system. and the solution is simple.

delete the script and make a new script that connects to the members database and client. theres no need to waste weeks debugging dodgy code that has hundreds of functions for the entire service. when a simple withdraw script will do the trick
Activity: 342

Known by whom?

Uhhhh no it shouldn't be. You have google and an active internet connection you can find it for yourself. I know for a fact i've seen about a hundred articles on this site alone about a 51% attack and blockchain size...
Activity: 314
Merit: 251

It's not.  It's called due diligence.  Everyone has to due (Tongue) their own.
Activity: 658
Merit: 504
Maybe this was discussed somewhere else but could this be something Gox came up with to buy them time. There are a lot of people who are questioning their liquidity. I doubt they will cut and run because they are too big for that. So maybe they are just coming up with an excuse while they try to solve their money problems.

As Gavin and many others have said...this is not a new fault. Its been openly discussed for years now. So why is Gox suddenly having problems now when nobody else is?
Xav
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
Pretty sure this needs to get addressed sooner than later.

I realize some things take time, but two years to fix a known bug is a wee bit excessive.

-B-

That's what I was thinking. Bug or weakness, this "Foundation" should have realised that billions of money is at stake. Everywhere you go they warn about safety first, be careful for malware, key-logging, etc. Why would anyone trust any Bitcoin-exchange, where wallets are controlled by third-parties anyway, even worse, they are managed by amateurish clowns !? Now, "empty cocks" is throwing mud and hits Bitcoin in their weakest spot.
Activity: 392
Merit: 116
Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

Known by whom?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_Malleability

Follow the references.

Added Jan 2013.
legendary
Activity: 905
Merit: 1000
Cliff Notes:

Contrary to Mt. Gox’s Statement, Bitcoin is not at fault -Gavin Andresen, Feb 10 2014

Known by whom?

Activity: 680
Merit: 500

Known by whom?

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Known by whom?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_Malleability

Follow the references.
Activity: 364
I called it, last night I was telling some folks that gox's response will be "it's not fault this happened".... sure enough they come out saying it's not their fault.  Gox always does this when something goes wrong,  it's never anything wrong on their end but always something out of their control that causes the problems.

Hopefully in the next 6-12 months gox will be a thing of the past.  They played their role in the btc community especially early on but it's become apparent that under their current management gox isn't fit to be a bitcoin exchange and we need exchanges that are more capable of delivering the demands of a bitcoin exchange.

Known by whom?

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

I realize some things take time, but two years to fix a known bug is a wee bit excessive.

-B-

I guess it depends on the programmers working on it. Cheesy

legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
The Bitcoin Foundation pays Gavin to maintain the reference Bitcoin client.
Peter Vessenes is the Chairman of the Bitcoin Foundation, and the Founder of CoinLab.
MtGox (Mark Karpeles) is also a member of the Bitcoin Foundation.
Over the past 18 months or so, Gavin made a lot of changes to the Bitcoin protocol in a relatively short amount of time, including forcing a hard fork.  Many observers noted at the time that this was unwise.
CoinLab and MtGox are involved in some sort of lawsuit involving an agreement to transfer customers from MtGox to CoinLab.
MtGox appears to have been unable to keep up with the changes to the Bitcoin protocol.

Anything inaccurate about this assessment?  I'm trying to maintain a relatively neutral view of the facts, but that's difficult as a Foundation non-member, since the Foundation does everything in secret.  So if anything is mistaken please let me know.

But, beyond just the obvious facts, would anyone like to discuss the obvious clusterfuck of interests going on here?  Should I even mention BitInstant?
legendary
Activity: 1176

One could argue if this even remotely classifies as a "bug". It's not a problem whatsoever, if people wouldn't be so stupid to invent their own processing verification rules like MtGox did.
Activity: 924

-B-
Pages:
Jump to: