Pages:
Author

Topic: Cool mining set up that more miners should copy. - page 2. (Read 339 times)

legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 1172
Privacy Servers. Since 2009.

This #Bitcoin mining farm in Guatemala 🇬🇹 is running on vegetable oil, helping restaurants from throwing it at a local lake ⛏️

https://twitter.com/LuxorTechTeam/status/1677041481486327808

Video included in the tweet. I believe philipma1957 will like it.

Cool

The mining set up not just helps secure the network and profits in Bitcoin, it also helps restaurants dispose of their waste. It's another illustration of how the incentive structure within Bitcoin fills gaps in the real world and make it better.

The same example as the "ransomware market" that I keep on repeating like a broken record. Haha.

Interesting concept. The device powering the whole setup looks like a diesel generator. Perhaps it has been modified somehow as I'm not sure if a stock diesel generator can run on vegetable oil (most probably not).
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1026
I do not understand how these ASICs stand in the open air. If it rains or thunderstorms, then water can get on the asics. ASICs stand in a place that looks like a garbage dump, it is dusty there, and it is not known what humidity is. Maybe these are old ASICs that you don’t mind breaking, but I wouldn’t mine in such conditions.
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1823

This #Bitcoin mining farm in Guatemala 🇬🇹 is running on vegetable oil, helping restaurants from throwing it at a local lake ⛏️

Cool

The mining set up not just helps secure the network and profits in Bitcoin, it also helps restaurants dispose of their waste. It's another illustration of how the incentive structure within Bitcoin fills gaps in the real world and make it better.

The same example as the "ransomware market" that I keep on repeating like a broken record. Haha.

Lol. Its running on vegetable oil or is it just cooled by vegetable oil? Both seem like bad ideas to be honest.  Grin

I heard that you can even mix in vegetable oil with diesel or run modern diesel cars (with a few tweaks) on pure vegetable oil and for the short term, everything will be fine, performance-wise. But in the mid term or long term it will absolutely gunk up and destroy the car's engine.

The same must be true for electricity generation for Bitcoin mining. At some point in the very near future the vegetable oil will gunk up everything and the motor will stop working. Why not just use old motor oil or something? Hell, you could even melt down and distill plastic into use-able fuel which won't gunk up the motor (much).

It's not without its own solutions though.

Modified fuel systems

Most diesel car engines are suitable for the use of straight vegetable oil (SVO), also commonly called pure plant oil (PPO), with certain modifications. Principally, the viscosity and surface tension of the SVO/PPO must be reduced by preheating it, typically by using waste heat from the engine or electricity; otherwise, poor atomization, incomplete combustion, and carbonization may result. One common solution is to add a heat exchanger and an additional fuel tank for the petrodiesel or biodiesel blend and to switch between this additional tank and the main tank of SVO/PPO. The engine is started on diesel, switched over to vegetable oil as soon as it is warmed up, and switched back to diesel shortly before being switched off to ensure that no vegetable oil remains in the engine or fuel lines when it is started from cold again. In colder climates it is often necessary to heat the vegetable oil fuel lines and tank as it can become very viscous and even solidify.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable_oil_fuel

Human ingenuity.

But I do like the idea of using waste to fuel Bitcoin mining. Another good idea would be to ferment alcohol from scraps or methane gas from cow dungWink

I think philipma1957 posted something about starting a small scale mining farm that uses methane as an energy source besides his solar mining enterprise.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1643
Verified Bitcoin Hodler

Cool

Lol. Its running on vegetable oil or is it just cooled by vegetable oil? Both seem like bad ideas to be honest.  Grin

I heard that you can even mix in vegetable oil with diesel or run modern diesel cars (with a few tweaks) on pure vegetable oil and for the short term, everything will be fine, performance-wise. But in the mid term or long term it will absolutely gunk up and destroy the car's engine.

The same must be true for electricity generation for Bitcoin mining. At some point in the very near future the vegetable oil will gunk up everything and the motor will stop working. Why not just use old motor oil or something? Hell, you could even melt down and distill plastic into use-able fuel which won't gunk up the motor (much).

But I do like the idea of using waste to fuel Bitcoin mining. Another good idea would be to ferment alcohol from scraps or methane gas from cow dung.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1823

Cool

Pages:
Jump to: