Pages:
Author

Topic: Copy/paste only with source - page 2. (Read 438 times)

legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 5364
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat⚔️
September 04, 2021, 09:25:27 AM
There are a few users who used to copy/paste from different sources and share the article/news on the forum and share a source link below of the article. Basically, the users don't add anything of their own which really seems awkward...

This is nothing new on the forum, there were users who did it for a very long time, but mostly spamming the Press board. Although this form of posting is not against the rules, I also think that moderators could react much better when someone reports such a post - especially if the user, in addition to the already mentioned tactics (copy/paste), also missed the board where the post should be.

I will also give a concrete example of a user whom I believe most have noticed in Bitcoin discussion and Economy, and this is his post history @Leviathan.007.

When someone gets 4 merits for such a post, then it only encourages them to continue with it - and we all know that it is a post in which he literally invested less than 10 seconds.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 8904
https://bpip.org
September 04, 2021, 09:06:21 AM
For a so-called news site, using subdomains seem pretty sus right off the bat.

It's not a news site, it's a batshit conspiracy blog but that's besides the point, P&S board is full of that Grin

Even if someone posted links from BBC that way, it would still be a low value post. It's a clear copy-pasta / link spam. Probably worse that what the OP described since there isn't even a quote, although just adding a quote without any attempt to make a coherent point about it and/or start a discussion would still be zero value spam and should fall under rule #1.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7060
Cashback 15%
September 04, 2021, 06:02:11 AM
There are a few users who used to copy/paste from different sources and share the article/news on the forum and share a source link below of the article. Basically, the users don't add anything of their own which really seems awkward. If you are not putting your opinion, why would you only copy/paste this?
You should post some examples or members you noticed doing this, but I see this thing more and more especially in Bitcoin discussion section.
I doubt moderators will do anything about it because it's not strictly against the rules, and I don't think it can be fixed.
What I would do is move all this posts in Press section, if they don't have anything to comment or if they copy-paste everything from original source.
Temporary solution for me is Ignoring members who repeat doing this, and my Ignore list is growing every day Sad
Activity: 1988
Merit: 527
FREE passive income eBook @ tinyurl.com/PIA10
September 04, 2021, 04:55:12 AM
Technically these should be deleted as low value posts - rule #1 - but the enforcement of that rule is quite spotty.

My favorite: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/japan-discovers-magnetic-substance-in-pfizer-covid-vaccines-journalists-5357066

He didn't even bother to give it a proper title, just copied the same text and cut it off in the middle of a sentence. Zero effort copy-pasta spam. Report unhandled. Go figure.

For a so-called news site, using subdomains seem pretty sus right off the bat.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 10532
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
September 04, 2021, 04:42:42 AM
<…>
I too tend to report them for being cero added value post. Occasionally, if the account is a Newbie or so, I may be in the mood to try to point out why that type of post is of now value. Some change their habits, most don’t.

Since they can be reported for what they are, there doesn’t seem to be any need for a change (ideally though, all copy/pasted text could/should be quoted for better visual distinction, even when a link is provided).
Activity: 1582
Merit: 264
September 04, 2021, 03:39:15 AM
~
~
Or they do to fill up the post requirement of their campaign.
Sometimes they do those to earn visitors or clicks to their own crappy articles. Not sure if they earn revenue from those, but surely it is a low value post as what suchmoon mentioned.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 4216
✿♥‿♥✿
September 04, 2021, 03:13:03 AM
I see posts like this a lot. Many newbies like to accumulate messages to increase activity, and some even manage to get merits. I've tried complaining to the moderators, but it doesn't work, especially if it's a new topic that has already been answered by other users.
But what to say about copy-paste with the source, my last reports on plagiarism also remain unprocessed, although there is more than needed evidence. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.57842377
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
September 04, 2021, 12:25:30 AM
Don't you think this should be fix? Will the rules ever be changed?
Copying/pasting the whole contents of an article and including link can be so annoying but there can never be such rules to against such users so far the contents they copied and pasted here with link included is not considered spam, but it should be what we should be discouraging.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1143
September 03, 2021, 11:46:35 PM
I don't think it should be fix, though it's subjective. Usually this kind of posts appear on Announcement/Service thread either Bitcoin or Altcoins section, those users share a news about the project/service. Report to moderator is the best solution just like @suchmoon pointed out, but IMO campaign manager should be more strict to not count these posts if it still not got deleted yet.

Press section is the appropriate board to share a Bitcoin news in general, but for Altcoins I don't have any idea.

A lot of times, some people think that when they post a long article here, that they will be given merits.
Or they do to fill up the post requirement of their campaign.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
September 03, 2021, 11:15:25 PM
If you are not putting your opinion, why would you only copy/paste this?
A lot of times, some people think that when they post a long article here, that they will be given merits.

I haven't made my mind on this. I don't think it should be totally forbidden to share articles, but it surely is annoying as some users sure do it a lot. Probably allowed if people do it once in a while(sometimes people probably just like to share certain news), but forbidden when a user does it excessively?
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 8904
https://bpip.org
September 03, 2021, 10:28:08 PM
Technically these should be deleted as low value posts - rule #1 - but the enforcement of that rule is quite spotty.

My favorite: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/japan-discovers-magnetic-substance-in-pfizer-covid-vaccines-journalists-5357066

He didn't even bother to give it a proper title, just copied the same text and cut it off in the middle of a sentence. Zero effort copy-pasta spam. Report unhandled. Go figure.
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1908
Marketing Campaign Manager |Telegram ID- @LT_Mouse
September 03, 2021, 10:12:42 PM
There are a few users who used to copy/paste from different sources and share the article/news on the forum and share a source link below of the article. Basically, the users don't add anything of their own which really seems awkward. If you are not putting your opinion, why would you only copy/paste this?
I think this is not counted as plagiarism as it has source link but this is not good too though forum allows this.
Pages:
Jump to: