Pages:
Author

Topic: Could declaring Bitcoin a religion protect it from Finacial Regulation? - page 2. (Read 4893 times)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250
Scientology.

Great idea. Someone should get the church of scientology to accept bitcoins... think of all the tx fees =P

legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
If Bitcoin becomes a religion then schools would not be able to allow anything Bitcoin related to be mentioned.

Wording would have to be changed in order to allow anything Bitcoin related at school.

See "Holiday parties" or "Winter break"...
So wait are you saying we are not psychotic and out of touch?   Sorry could not pass that up.

Not interested in any religions but if we go this way please no mats for praying to our bitcoin gods four times a day and I am out if we call a holy war. 

My first official act would be to issue a Fatwā against paypay.
Activity: 386
Calling Bitcoin a religion would do nothing to advance the cause of freedom nor invoke any legal protection, and would make us look psychotic and out of touch.
So wait are you saying we are not psychotic and out of touch?   Sorry could not pass that up.

Not interested in any religions but if we go this way please no mats for praying to our bitcoin gods four times a day and I am out if we call a holy war. 
legendary
Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
In fact money did become many people's religion, and worshipping USD have been frequently displayed on many different medium

Compared to them, worshipping BTC has much more meaningful and serious feeling  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
I just leave this here:

http://www.bitcoinchurch.org/

Not quite what we were thinking of, but still- wow.

Pfft. My logo is bigger than his.  Wink
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
The title says it all- tax exempt status, the act of transacting Bitcoins an act of faith with the scripture of the blockchain?

One could even argue it might protect Bitcoin from being outlawed in countries that recognize freedom of Religion.

Tax exemption for religious enterprises is a form of financial regulation:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/regulation?q=regulation

Definition of regulation
noun
1a rule or directive made and maintained by an authority

The tax exemption is a "directive made and maintained by an authority".
Calling Bitcoin a religion would do nothing to advance the cause of freedom nor invoke any legal protection, and would make us look psychotic and out of touch.
As if sending lots of money to a guy with an eyepatch promising 7% per week from a secret business plan hadn't already done that
 Undecided

HA!

Seriously tho, it bears some thought... at the very least it would involve a custom client and some seriously intricate misdirection on the part of those involved --- you'd actually have to accept donations and disperse humanitarian aid... as well as spiritual advise...

"Bitcoin given right to not be taxed" could be a very interesting legal issue in a few years.
Activity: 547
Merit: 500
Decor in numeris
As if sending lots of money to a guy with an eyepatch promising 7% per week from a secret business plan hadn't already done that
 Undecided
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1140
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
legendary
Activity: 1498
Considering that bitcoin can't be regulated by the government or taxed this would do nothing but waste time, and resources.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
Could declaring Bitcoin a religion protect it from Finacial Regulation?
Well not now. If you wouldn't have publically announced this as a motive, maybe.
legendary
Activity: 1002
Bitcoin
If it can help avoid regultaion / taxes, I'm all in !  washing anus or other strange ritual are good for me, as long as it can prevent the tax man to hit !
Activity: 728
Merit: 540
legendary
I just leave this here:

http://www.bitcoinchurch.org/

Not quite what we were thinking of, but still- wow.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
Activity: 448
Look up the Ethiopian Zion Coptic Church, they tried something similar with weed. If flew for a little while then the Goverment got pissed and reversed its choice.

http://www.ethiopianzioncopticchurch.org/
legendary
You do have to say a little prayer everyday in hopes that you don't get scammed or lose all your coin in hacks by Chinese relics dealers and such. 

+1
Pages:
Jump to: