Pages:
Author

Topic: Could declaring Bitcoin a religion protect it from Finacial Regulation? - page 3. (Read 4875 times)

legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
But we might develop some rituals like washing anus before sending bitcoin payment. That will make it a true religion.

You should always wash your anus before making bitcoin transactions!

@ OP: Ask those guys: http://www.scientology.org/
Activity: 275
Merit: 250
You do have to say a little prayer everyday in hopes that you don't get scammed or lose all your coin in hacks by Chinese relics dealers and such. 
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
+1 to declaring bitcoin a religion!
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Filesharing is recognized as official religion in Sweden. Why Bitcoins cannot be a religion too?

Bitcoin is simply math, and there's a nice tradition of math-based religion going back 2500 years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagoreanism
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029
Death to enemies!
Filesharing is recognized as official religion in Sweden. Why Bitcoins cannot be a religion too?

Yes there is no faith in false promises or fairy tales, the engineering of Bitcoin is more solid than Boeing 747. But we might develop some rituals like washing anus before sending bitcoin payment. That will make it a true religion.
Activity: 342
Merit: 250
Lots of people have made money their religion, and that certainly hasn't prevented regulation in the past.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000
Enabling the maximal migration
My faith in humanity would be lost if this helped in the slightest.

As far as legality in general goes, this would be great if it was the exception and not the rule.
Activity: 728
Merit: 540
Burn the Unbelievers !
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

But certainly the humor in it would have at least some redeeming value. :-)
legendary
Activity: 1072
Merit: 1178
legendary
Some easy reading for the evening:

A tax guide for the IRS
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf

Anyone have any experience with registering a religion? Form a brief Google search there seems to be no need to register outside of tax purposes.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
I doubt it would matter in the least, but go ahead.  Crazier things have been done.
legendary
Religions are based on faith, not reality.  Once you understand the bitcoin protocol, there is no mystery to it.

No mystery? You mean like the imaginary disappeared pseudo Japanese crypto genius who created, lead his disciples and disappeared? You mean that no mystery? :-)

There is plenty of mystery here, and faith. People buying coins have faith in it's value. People who do transactions on first confirmation have faith in no double spends. We ALL have faith there isn't some government super computer crunching away this very moment intend of outrunning our BTC chain and pulling a 51%.

This whole thing is based on faith. Faith in numbers, in math, in the 'invisible hand of the market', faith in the very idea of remaking the world to be a more fair equitable place.

Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
Religions are based on faith, not reality.  Once you understand the bitcoin protocol, there is no mystery to it.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Activity: 728
Merit: 540
Satoshi is our prophet !
legendary
The title says it all- tax exempt status, the act of transacting Bitcoins an act of faith with the scripture of the blockchain?

One could even argue it might protect Bitcoin from being outlawed in countries that recognize freedom of Religion.
Pages:
Jump to: