Pages:
Author

Topic: Could the Bitcoin difficulty go down? - page 2. (Read 8450 times)

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199
February 23, 2014, 08:46:16 PM
I doubt it will go down but it will definitely slow down in terms of increases as we can see recently no more 25% plus increases FOR NOW

indeed.

Just see alltime diff charts - you can clearly see how this is working .
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
February 23, 2014, 08:31:19 PM
I doubt it will go down but it will definitely slow down in terms of increases as we can see recently no more 25% plus increases FOR NOW
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
February 21, 2014, 03:11:17 PM
It will never go down unless Bitcoin crashes.
DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
February 21, 2014, 09:30:25 AM
If price stays a $600-700 for another 6 months, what are you projections for hashrate/difficulty?
Current upwards almost vertical line is unsustainable if price doesn't catch up.

Once again you are failing to take into consideration that miners have been bought and paid for beyond this point.  When someone gets the miner that they paid thousands of dollars for months and months ago they are turning it on regardless of what the btc to usd price is that day.

But what about 1) electricity cost, if daily bitcoin rewards coming from mining = $21->$20->$19->$18->$17 due to growing difficulty, and electricity is constant $20/day, that's losing money at some point, no matter that the hardware is fully paid for.
2) new miners will stop ordering new hardware, since the price is not catching up and profitability is close to zero after electricity or even negative.

I am not saying everyone will stop mining, but hashrate increased 10x over just 3-4 months, it can't go like that forever unless the price catches up, just laws of economics. It can only grow till it's at least marginally profitable. Just like it did go down in the past, in can go down again, before it can go up again when the price has caught up.

6 months of current level of bitcoin price can make a lot of miners re-think if they should temporarily suspend operations or keep losing money.

As it is currently, mining income easily exceeds electricity costs.  See my post above.  When the electricity costs exceed revenue the person will sell the miner to somebody who has cheaper power or will take the miners offline.  But those would be 1st gen ASICs which are becoming increasingly insignificant to the total power.

ASICs were made for Bitcoin.  The only time they stop mining is when Bitcoin dies or the miner dies.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
February 18, 2014, 09:17:02 AM
If price stays a $600-700 for another 6 months, what are you projections for hashrate/difficulty?
Current upwards almost vertical line is unsustainable if price doesn't catch up.

Once again you are failing to take into consideration that miners have been bought and paid for beyond this point.  When someone gets the miner that they paid thousands of dollars for months and months ago they are turning it on regardless of what the btc to usd price is that day.

But what about 1) electricity cost, if daily bitcoin rewards coming from mining = $21->$20->$19->$18->$17 due to growing difficulty, and electricity is constant $20/day, that's losing money at some point, no matter that the hardware is fully paid for.
2) new miners will stop ordering new hardware, since the price is not catching up and profitability is close to zero after electricity or even negative.

I am not saying everyone will stop mining, but hashrate increased 10x over just 3-4 months, it can't go like that forever unless the price catches up, just laws of economics. It can only grow till it's at least marginally profitable. Just like it did go down in the past, in can go down again, before it can go up again when the price has caught up.

6 months of current level of bitcoin price can make a lot of miners re-think if they should temporarily suspend operations or keep losing money.

Good point actualy.
Activity: 336
Merit: 260
February 18, 2014, 06:10:33 AM

DrG
legendary
February 18, 2014, 03:38:43 AM
The only reason is went down with GPUs was because GPUs had an option of doing something other than mining.  As far as I can tell SHA256 are going to be mining coins or going bust.  The only time they would go offline is if they die or if the owner thinks electricity is too high - in which case he sells them to somebody with cheap electricity (assuming shipping is worth it).

Don't expect difficulty to go down, ever.
legendary
February 17, 2014, 06:54:22 PM
If diddicult will go down a lot Wink miners will be so so happy Cheesy because .. it will go up soon for sure.
legendary
Activity: 1148
February 17, 2014, 06:48:14 PM

Activity: 336
Merit: 260
February 17, 2014, 01:09:58 PM
DrG
legendary
February 17, 2014, 01:58:00 AM
It might have a small blip downward when people turn off the original BFLs/Avalons/ASICMiners - but remember these units put out measly amounts compared to the new beasts.  You turn off 60 SC Singles for every Cointerra rig and you're even.

The only real way to see a drop is maybe a severe price crash or a network issue where many big pools get DDOS or providers go down.

Or my favorite - massive solar ejection wipes all crypto off the map.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
February 16, 2014, 10:59:09 PM
It will some day. Just not sure when. Perhaps once the market is over saturated and the price can't sustain miners to keep their operation financial able to keep running.
legendary
Activity: 1120
February 16, 2014, 10:02:17 PM
Theoretically, yes Smiley
Activity: 542
Merit: 251
February 16, 2014, 09:36:03 PM
I truthfully think it will keep going up. I don't remeber when it went down since I started mining last summer. Hopefully it would go down, but it's still not profitable for me to mine  Embarrassed
legendary
February 16, 2014, 08:46:53 PM
+19%
meh.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
February 16, 2014, 08:00:34 AM
Most probabl difficulty will continue to rise.
legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3337
February 16, 2014, 02:56:52 AM
I assume that the difficulty will keep climbing until the cost of power equals the mining revenue.

New mining equipment consumes about 0.75 kW per TH/s, or 18 kWH/day per TH/s At $0.10/kWH that's $1.80 per day per TH/s. 1 TH/s mines about 0.192 BTC/day and that will equal the power cost when 1 BTC is worth about $10.

So, difficulty will fall if BTC falls below $10, or will stop rising if the price remains at $650 and the difficulty rises by a factor of about 65. Both are possible, but I think neither is likely (at least in the short term).
legendary
February 16, 2014, 02:08:44 AM
Guess diff will go down a bit in a day Smiley

but it will change like nothing.

I don't see that happening at all.  Forget the dam btc price because it's meaningless to the difficulty.  Right now the hashrate of the network is up to 24,673,812 GH/s and block generation is at 8 minutes.

I still see an over 20% increase tomorrow...there is so much fast hardware being thrown at the network right now because people that pre-ordered equipment months ago are just receiving it so the ongoing disaster on the exchanges doesn't make a difference. No one is going to take their multi-thousand dollar asic and not mine with it.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
February 14, 2014, 09:05:56 AM
I remember difficulty starting to skyrocket at $100 a coin. Even at $20, people were mining like crazy. Miners will be miners.
legendary
February 14, 2014, 06:01:23 AM
Guess diff will go down a bit in a day Smiley

but it will change like nothing.
Pages:
Jump to: