Pages:
Author

Topic: Could the Bitcoin difficulty go down? - page 3. (Read 8450 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
February 14, 2014, 04:38:42 AM
when I said everyone I was speaking figuratively not literally. but captain literal over here went there.
legendary
Activity: 1039
Merit: 1005
February 13, 2014, 10:27:30 AM
Even if the bitcoin price drops very quickly, miners will not react immediately all at the same time. Some will switch off earlier than others, maybe because they're more fearful, maybe because their energy costs are higher. At some point, remaining miners will decide that their best choice is to continue mining because enough miners have left the scene to make mining attractive for the others again. Of course, block rate will go down quite a bit until the next difficulty adjustment, so you might have 1-2 weeks of average 2-3 blocks per hour instead of 6. So what? It's very unlikely that this will happen at all, and even if it does happen, bitcoin transactions will only be slowed down a bit, not stopped.

Onkel Paul
Activity: 266
February 13, 2014, 10:25:00 AM
price is crashing.  if price went down to 200 that would be great. everyone would shut their rigs off.
yes its possible
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
February 13, 2014, 10:23:22 AM
all rigs off

All rigs off implies that every single miner on the planet is doing it for profit, and for no other reason.

I doubt that is true.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199
February 13, 2014, 10:18:28 AM
price is crashing.  if price went down to 200 that would be great. everyone would shut their rigs off.

do you know what would happen if everyone would shut their rigs off?
do you know how bitcoin works?

this is p2p network.

try to download a torrent with no seeds.

It'll take a pretty impressive price-crash (hint: far lower than $200) for everyone to shut off their rigs.

The limiting factor in earning back your mining investment is the initial cost of purchase, not the ongoing electricity costs. Even at $200 per Bitcoin, almost all current ASICs will produce more income than they cost to keep running. So while a low BTC-price may lower sales of new devices (or a price drop of those new devices), it's not going to cause people to turn off their rigs until things get really crazy.

serious? Smiley it will stop bitcoin network.

NO bitcoin transaction can be made if hashrate = 0 (all rigs off)

So even if you will have 10000 BTC you cannot sell them. Because blockchain would NOT work.

Let say you have a lamp in your room. When it is on it gives a light. When it is off it does not.

Activity: 728
February 13, 2014, 10:16:11 AM
price is crashing.  if price went down to 200 that would be great. everyone would shut their rigs off.

this is p2p network.

It'll take a pretty impressive price-crash (hint: far lower than $200) for everyone to shut off their rigs.

The limiting factor in earning back your mining investment is the initial cost of purchase, not the ongoing electricity costs. Even at $200 per Bitcoin, almost all current ASICs will produce more income than they cost to keep running. So while a low BTC-price may lower sales of new devices (or a price drop of those new devices), it's not going to cause people to turn off their rigs until things get really crazy.
legendary
February 13, 2014, 08:56:44 AM

this is p2p network.

Activity: 364
February 13, 2014, 06:05:26 AM
Activity: 518
February 13, 2014, 12:59:31 AM
I am just wondering if a lot of miners would stop mining (I know this is next to impossible) could the bitcoin difficulty go down instead of up? Thanks

Yes of course the difficulty would go down if lots of miners stopped mining. Is it going to happen? Only if price of BTC crashes spectacularly.
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468
February 13, 2014, 12:43:01 AM
(...)
Is it likely that it will go down anytime soon?  No.

The only way for it to come down is if BTC price drops to <$5 again and most miners walk away and get real jobs.

Right now, there is so much noise in the media about bitcoin that people are putting new mining hardware online regardless if it makes money or not.

Too much optimism.  Evangelists are projecting $10,000 by the end of 2014.  No way difficulty comes down unless price adjusts dramatically.
legendary
February 12, 2014, 07:01:59 PM
(...)

legendary
February 12, 2014, 07:00:39 PM
I am just wondering if a lot of miners would stop mining (I know this is next to impossible) could the bitcoin difficulty go down instead of up? Thanks

Yes. That is normal. You can see all time charts of BTC diff and you can clearly see that it just a value that might go up or down.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
February 12, 2014, 06:59:48 PM
Yes.  It has on more than one adjustment in the past.

Activity: 542
Merit: 251
February 12, 2014, 06:49:36 PM
Pages:
Jump to: