Pages:
Author

Topic: Criterion for selecting a moderator for the local section - page 2. (Read 478 times)

legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 4133
eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.

Well said, just to add my thought, it seems local moderators are been considered gods on those boards especially those who interact actively. Theymos will have to up his game in regards to the criteria to avoid any sort of issue relating to intimidation, favoritism or extortion been practice by any new moderator he appoints.

It seems kinda hard to pointing out individuals willing to volunteer time for the success of the forum these days unlike previously, as majority of the new users are highly been motivated by earning while lacking passion for the progressive success of the forum like back in the early days.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
I recently queried on the same matter recently, since the moderator for my Local Board seems to have gone missing for nearly two months now. Whether he’s missing temporarily, or has dropped out is something we have not been able to discern yet, and whilst our general preference is to have the same mod back, we started queries to try to understand the steps to take, were it necessary to ask for an additional mod on our Local Board.

In summary, what I understood was that we needed to is:

- Open a discussion on the local board, and reach some sort of consensus on likely candidates.
- Let @theymos know when the above has been done.

Bear in mind that moderator selection is not a popularity contest on it’s own, and that likely, stats are taken into account such as good report history (on the local board for sure, and perhaps globally).

On my Local Board, some mods seem to have been able to intervene and help around despite our local mod not being around. At least some of my local reports have been handled lately which were specific to my local board (although some I do report both in Spanish and English on the same report).

<…> I have handled some of your reports recently as I'm ok with Spanish. Although, definitely not fluent, and my grammar when writing in Spanish leaves much to be desired <…>
¡Gracias!  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1165
🤩Finally Married🤩
Couldn't we just pick those who can moderate and even if its for free service just to maintain the good environment across the Board?
LoL, I, myself am willing to moderate for free if I were will be given a chance. It's not just about the pay, I'm more concerned about the reputation. AFAIK, the pay for mods aren't that big enough, and its more like an incentive for doing their good works.

As long as I can be part of the forum then that's already fine with me, actually. But still I do want to do more and its pretty rare to be picked to be part of something like this.

Also, I'm currently thinking, what if theymos stop on paying these mods, are they still willing to do the jobs that has been entrusted to them? Though I'm not underestimating someone here, I'm just curious 🤫🤫🤫
staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110
I'd think those would have to be the absolute minimum standards for consideration.  

What I was thinking is that being a moderator is a paid position, right?  
Yeah, moderators do receive a payment based on a custom algorithm which isn't disclosed to moderators or the public. Although, we are not employees of Bitcointalk.org. Theymos has to manage the current staff, and I'm sure he's got other things going on in his life also. Therefore, moderators will only be added if its shown that they're required, and the best way of judging that is by looking at the state of a section, and how many reports are being made.

Who knows existing moderators, and global moderators might be able to pick up certain local language reports. For example, I can read some languages okayish, but writing in them is a different story. I believe hilariousandco can speak languages or at least understand other languages aside from English, but don't quote me on that.

There's going to be multiple factors involved in appointing someone moderator, and I'm sure if the need for a moderator was clear then they would get appointed.
legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
I'm not theymos, but I'd like to think that it at least requires a good understanding of the rules, and the amount of reports or even quality of reports would be better than activity.
I'd think those would have to be the absolute minimum standards for consideration. 

What I was thinking is that being a moderator is a paid position, right?  Perhaps Theymos doesn't feel the need to spend the money to hire mods for local boards that might not get enough traffic to warrant one.  I don't know if that's true or not, and my assumption is that the forum is not hurting for money but Theymos may not think it's a good use of funds.  Plus if every local board had a moderator, those would be more members he'd have to evaluate and manage.  That could turn out to be a gigantic pain in the ass for him.

Just thinking out loud, but those were the first things I thought of.  It isn't like having mods in the local boards is a bad thing--it isn't, not at all.  So there has to be a reason why Theymos hasn't hired them.
staff
So being active isn't enough and getting being one of the reputed on the local section?...
I'm not theymos, but I'd like to think that it at least requires a good understanding of the rules, and the amount of reports or even quality of reports would be better than activity. There's always a combination of things to consider, and reputation probably is a factor in the selection process.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1165
🤩Finally Married🤩
...  but more likely by the amount of reports that are being made....
So being active isn't enough and getting being one of the reputed on the local section?...
staff
Not nesscarily by the activity of the section, but more likely by the amount of reports that are being made. Plus, you would need to find a suitable candidate to become moderator. In the past local sections have successfully done local elections, but ultimately its up to theymos whether he thinks a local section requires a moderator, and if there's anyone suitable for the task.
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
I've been thinking about this for a while because it seems to me that there are no clear criteria for why some local sections have a moderator and some don't.
It would be logical that the main criterion is the level of activity in the local forum, but it does not seem to be the case.
For example, Romanian section with 44184 Posts and 5055 Topics or Polish with 29528 Posts and 2500 Topics or even Japanese with 39912 Posts and 1108 Topics have local moderator but Croatian section with 40494 Posts and 1739 Topics or Indian with 72876 Posts and 9077 Topics or Nederlands (Dutch) with 47326 Posts and 5051 Topics don't have local moderator.
I see a lot of illogicality here so I would like to hear the thoughts of community members whether other countries should get their local moderators to?
What do you think?
As ''old'' member on this forum I remember that my local community, Croatian, had local moderator in the past so if we could have local moderator before, when we had less members and activity than now, I don't see the reason why we can't get moderator again.
Pages:
Jump to: