Pages:
Author

Topic: Cryptocurrency exchange volume: More fake than real? - page 4. (Read 697 times)

Activity: 2842
Merit: 772
It's pretty obvious that those exchanges new or even some established one as really faking their volumes. Maybe the question is why they are doing this fraudulent practices?

One reason I see is that to attract noobs investors, because competition is very tough this days, specially that we are still in the bearish cycles.
Activity: 980
Merit: 506
It is true that the exchange market in crypto is very much manipulated by the admins of this exchanges but I don't think it is something we have to keep repeating because most of us already knows this and repeating it will just cause FUD in the crypto space which we don't need now.

I think what we should be doing is to enlighten traders to always take their money off exchange after trading every week because we never know what can befall from this exchanges since they have a central wallet and control the private keys.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18587
I addressed this report in another thread about it, which you can read here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.50243331

Essentially, their methodology is deeply flawed. They took an average trade volume and multiplied that against the average number of site visits, and claimed that that is each exchanges' true volume. This is a completely made up and meaningless equation, which is evidenced by their hilariously enormous spread of results - anything from 0.15% to 1300%.

Yes, a lot of exchanges report fake volume to make themselves seem bigger and more significant than they are, but we can't draw any conclusions from a report with such poor logic.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 4133
eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.
I don't think that's issue is only peculiar to shit coin alone I have had such drama when checking the price of bitcoin on coin market cap it doesn't completely tally with that of an exchange I use(luno to be more precise) the price on coin market cap is always higher

True, it isn't peculiar to shitcoins only but due to the facts those coins/tokens can easily be manipulated due to low volume, they're usually the target.

Concerning the price on coinmarketcap, the price you see there is an average price from combination of most exchange and not the actual price of the coin/token you're viewing. that's why the price there is always different from most exchange especially small ones like LUNO.
Activity: 280
Merit: 14
There are many fake volume and sometimes some shitcoins jump too high but after you login on some exchange the price is not the same as what they show in some coin monitoring site like coingecko or coinmarketcap.
I don't think that's issue is only peculiar to shit coin alone I have had such drama when checking the price of bitcoin on coin market cap it doesn't completely tally with that of an exchange I use(luno to be more precise) the price on coin market cap is always higher
legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030
Privacy is always important
There are many fake volume and sometimes some shitcoins jump too high but after you login on some exchange the price is not the same as what they show in some coin monitoring site like coingecko or coinmarketcap.

So, I decided to trade some coins only in trusted exchanges which is well known here in the forum like Binance.
Activity: 168
Merit: 214
WhoTookMyCrypto.com
Haven't seen this posted here so just wanted to share.

Recently The Tie released their findings of a study on the extent of volume manipulation by cryptocurrency exchanges. To no one's surprise, they found extensive manipulation amongst many cryptocurrency exchanges.

In total we estimated that 87% of exchanges reported trading volume was potentially suspicious and that 75% of exchanges had some form of suspicious activity occurring on them.

Link to Tweet: https://twitter.com/TheTIEIO/status/1107671178423033858
Single thread for ease of viewing: https://threader.app/thread/1107671178423033858

The Blockchain Transparency Institute also publishes a list of exchanges that are suspected of inflating their trading volumes. Since different methodologies and samples were used, different results should be expected. But just for fun, how do their results compare against those of The Tie's? We used The Tie's "Low Potential Fake Volume" exchanges and compared them to Blockchain Transparency Institute's latest reports and this is what resulted.

Our lay man's conclusion: Pretty close match if you ask us.

Legend

The Tie
1. tick = a Low Potential Fake Volume exchange

BTI
1. tick = not on the exchange advisory list ie. not suspected of manipulating volume.
2. cross = on the exchange advisory list ie. suspected of manipulating volume.
3. blacked out = not covered by BTI research.
Pages:
Jump to: