Pages:
Author

Topic: Cult of hoarding - page 3. (Read 4207 times)

Activity: 994
Merit: 501
January 28, 2014, 08:23:03 PM
That is why we have such epic crashes all the damn time when new highs are hit.

Hoarders or hodlers who at first were greedy and euphoric will see their precious plummet in price and start selling en masse. It happened so many times that you could say it is a law of nature in the bitcoin economy.

Unfortunately bitcoin is concentrated in just a few hands... So the panic sell only does worse

Define a few though?  There's been a lot studies and research done on the top 47 holders of Bitcoin.  After guessing than Satoshi owns ~1MM (which who really knows), the next 46 drop off fairly significantly.  Yes, I agree if most of then panic dump the market would crash.  But I think we have enough of a support base right now to recover fairly quickly.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
January 28, 2014, 06:57:19 PM

Hoarders or hodlers who at first were greedy and euphoric will see their precious plummet in price and start selling en masse. It happened so many times that you could say it is a law of nature in the bitcoin economy.

Unfortunately bitcoin is concentrated in just a few hands... So the panic sell only does worse
Activity: 1092
Merit: 500
Life is short, practice empathy in your life
January 28, 2014, 06:52:08 PM

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
January 28, 2014, 10:00:29 AM
Hoarded
"Hoarded" 'coins are simply off the market. The remaining ones divide into 100 million itty bitty pieces, enough to run any economy on, and after all, the earlier-adopting "whales" can only dump once. Smiley

Hoarded coins can be concidered off the market. But what about lost coins? Coins that were on crashed hard drives for instance? Those will never be back in the market... Or coins mined in 2010 that were on computers that have been trashed and destroyed before BTC became worth something?
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074
January 28, 2014, 08:22:35 AM
What I find most annoying about HODLers posting in these forums is that they make bitcoin look like a Ponzi,
and it's not a Ponzi, just a bubble. Fortunately, during the bear market, HODLers will decrease their posting rate.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Annuit cœptis humanae libertas
January 28, 2014, 08:06:54 AM
The hoarded coins will be available some day, and the market knows it.

Maybe so but that still doesn't change the fact that there will always be less than 21 billion mBTC out there. Whether the market is pricing already based on an assumed supply of 21 billion, 12 billion or whatever, is anyone's guess.
legendary
Activity: 1148
January 28, 2014, 12:01:17 AM
Yeah for long term growth we need a good percentage of people holding, and a good amount of people spending. We just don't need 100% doing one or the other at the same time.

People have had no problem spending on Tiger Direct and Overstock.  As long as more places start taking BTC this won't be an issue.
legendary
Activity: 1456
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
January 27, 2014, 11:42:27 PM
Yeah for long term growth we need a good percentage of people holding, and a good amount of people spending. We just don't need 100% doing one or the other at the same time.
Activity: 518
January 27, 2014, 11:01:04 PM
Bitcoin is a deflationary currency.  It encourages savings and thrift.  This is a good thing.

Its a balancing act. If nobody spends, its not a currency. It's a dead duck.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
January 27, 2014, 11:00:00 PM
Bitcoin is a deflationary currency.  It encourages savings and thrift.  This is a good thing.
legendary
Activity: 1148
January 27, 2014, 10:55:16 PM
Many people have regretted not holding.  We can learn from their mistakes.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1414
HODL OR DIE
January 27, 2014, 10:11:02 PM

Why would anyone buy coins and store them forever? There is no sense in that. You would be better off not buying them at all.

Until I can use my coins for something I want, I will hold them.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005
January 27, 2014, 09:59:12 PM

Why would anyone buy coins and store them forever? There is no sense in that. You would be better off not buying them at all.
Activity: 518
January 27, 2014, 09:50:56 PM
The amount of purchases in BTC at overstock.com and tigerdirect.com by bitcoiners suggests bitcoiners are not as hoardy as we might have suspected.
Activity: 784
Annuit cœptis humanae libertas
January 27, 2014, 08:57:40 PM
"Hoarded" 'coins are simply off the market. The remaining ones divide into 100 million itty bitty pieces, enough to run any economy on, and after all, the earlier-adopting "whales" can only dump once. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1064
January 27, 2014, 08:47:55 PM
I'm assuming that newcomers that get involved into bitcoin, eventually will integrate into their beliefs some (more or less) of the community's cultsm, including hoarding.

So, even if a newcomer buys bitcoins, we could assume he hoars at least 10% for the very long term (+20 years, for nephews or for when they're old). The rest of it can be actively traded, gambled, etc. But some will almost for sure be hoarded, because most bitcoin users are young and can risk 800 bucks for a "my precious" coin.

This is a very important aspect as more and more users get into bitcoin, making less and less coins available. I expect that as price get's higher, hoarding is expressed in more decimal points and by less users.
Pages:
Jump to: