Pages:
Author

Topic: [DATA]Exchanges: their way of using a fractional-reserve and generate inflation - page 6. (Read 17720 times)

Activity: 135
Merit: 107
I would be more concerned about the fiat side of exchanges.  It's hard to run fractional reserve on BTC because it is so easy to transfer in and out of exchanges.  Fiat, on the other hand, is slow and cumbersome by comparison.  Because of this, a larger percent of fiat is likely to stay in an exchange than BTC.  For example, Gox was basically running a fiat fractional reserve and artificially distorted BTC prices higher than they should have been.  The first key is to make BTC the reserve currency: all contracts get settled in BTC.  http://796.com does this already and has more transparency than any other centralized exchange as a result.  They have no fiat to audit -- just the BTC addresses they post.  The next step is to decentralize the transactions themselves on the blockchain via multisig.  796 could do this now for non-day traders if they wanted to.  Day traders will need to stick to off-chain exchanges for speed purposes though.
legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 2657

Next month, a lightweight web client will allow on-blockchain bitcoin trading:

blockchain is Bitcoin blockchain or your own blockchain ?
legendary
Activity: 263
Merit: 280
legendary

Sounds like they're happy having fun with IOUs, maybe not so happy when they try to turn those IOUs to something of value and get FUs instead but that's the way of the world, fools and their money are easily parted. Could say take responsibility for the security of their funds, use cryptos built in security to ensure their safety but it would get the usual answer, "but no one trades on (transparent and verifiable exchange), I have to use (trust-based exchange with lots of unverifiable activity)". Darwin has the answer for it, just takes longer is all and lines unscrupulous pockets in the process :/

A fool and his money are soon parted...
legendary
Activity: 140
Merit: 10
legendary
legendary
I'm sure they do......sure.

Spread the word about this problem, and remember the golden rule:

DO NOT HOLD YOUR BTC ON THIRD PARTY EXCHANGES – BE YOUR OWN BANK
Activity: 140
Merit: 10
I'm sure they do......sure.
legendary

This chart shows the growth of the addresses and transactions.
As we see, the growth of the addresses is quite stable,
the transaction is a bit more sluggish,
but has always remained around 30% throughout 2014.

Remember that the y-axis scale is logarithmic !

In this chart I overlay addresses and transactions with prices and some quadratic regressions

quadratic regression of 2014 has strong negative slope .... against the trend
to all other phenomena that are growing significantly
legendary
the answer is almost no banks can liquidate more than 2 or 3% of their deposit!

In eurozone they actually have 1% of reserve requirement (was 2% before 2012), in USA some small banks can have 0% of reserve !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_requirement

Note that in China, reserve requirement is 19%. It has just been reduced from 20%. Everywhere in the world, legal requirements are shrinking.

People must be aware. They have the power for not replay this shit on bitcoin ecosystem...

simply DO NOT HOLD YOUR BTC ON THIRD PARTY EXCHANGES – BE YOUR OWN BANK

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy

In eurozone they actually have 1% of reserve requirement (was 2% before 2012), in USA some small banks can have 0% of reserve !

Note that in China, reserve requirement is 19%. It has just been reduced from 20%. Everywhere in the world, legal requirements are shrinking.
legendary
The concept you explained is similar like what we see in banks. If every person who holds an account decides to make quick withdrawal simultaneously at the same time how many banks can actually liquidate the assets that they hold to pay off that amount?

Q7
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
The concept you explained is similar like what we see in banks. If every person who holds an account decides to make quick withdrawal simultaneously at the same time how many banks can actually liquidate the assets that they hold to pay off that amount?
legendary
What if you are a day trader and need to keep your coins on the exchange to benefit from market movements?

how I wrote in Q&A :
"Of course there are traders out there who will keep their BTC on the exchanges a little longer but for the average
Joe there’s no need to use an Exchange as a wallet."

the "DO NOT HOLD YOUR BTC ON THIRD PARTY EXCHANGES – BE YOUR OWN BANK" mantra is for
average Joe, traders are forced to keep their BTC on exchange wallet.

actually I dont know a solution for traders, only keep they BTC the shortest time they can
(or change hobbies Wink )
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481
What if you are a day trader and need to keep your coins on the exchange to benefit from market movements?

you take the risk by trading anyway, that's up to you.

I only hope you don't trade everything you have.
 Wink
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
You could always reconsider your choice of hobbies/occupations.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy

I am not that deep into blockchain analysis as you are, but some of the exchanges adresses are known. I think it could be quite easy to estimate wideley they fluctuate in terms of coins. I assume they have a stock which is barely moving and even if they care, they could use at least half of this to do FRB. Do you have further information?

do you know where i can get an updated database of exchanges addresses ?

I don't think such a thing exists. And if it does, it would need to be constantly updated, since BTC allows easy, free and unlimited addresses creation.
Pages:
Jump to: