Pages:
Author

Topic: Dear Would Be Drug Marketplace Operators - page 3. (Read 3867 times)

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1002
November 06, 2014, 03:23:13 PM
Why not just use the nxt market place? Decentralized and all that.. There's already a guy selling prescription drugs on it.. Doctor from Mexico apparently Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015
November 06, 2014, 03:08:18 PM
Must be mad running an illegal drug website. Just the tiniest microscopic slipup could reveal your real identity. TOR isn't foolproof.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003
November 06, 2014, 02:57:54 PM
FBI is certainly stepping up enforcement efforts. The oldest dark net market "farmer's market", used paypal, and they weren't caught for over 2 years (surprise surprise, they were caught simply by paypal disclosing their contact info to FBI). This was before Bitcoin was available.

FBI is increasingly getting good at busting TOR sites.
legendary
Activity: 1050
November 06, 2014, 02:38:49 PM
Well things happen. I did not however expect the owner to be found so quickly.
It is possible to stay hidden if you're smart enough. There are many people who the government can't catch, or services that can't be shut down. Look at TPB. Bitcoin helps with their finances.

There is no such thing as perfect security, for anything.

The problem is the free market sale of controlled substances is a political issue. Bitcoin and its libertarian enthusiasts are poking the government in the eye, putting that issue in the spotlight. To them it's a game, one of strategy, and they're playing to win. That's why they codenamed their operation onymous.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
The cheddar breed jealousy
November 06, 2014, 02:36:52 PM
Greed is what gets most criminals caught; especially cyber "criminals".
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
November 06, 2014, 02:30:29 PM
Well things happen. I did not however expect the owner to be found so quickly.
It is possible to stay hidden if you're smart enough. There are many people who the government can't catch, or services that can't be shut down. Look at TPB. Bitcoin helps with their finances.
legendary
Activity: 1050
November 06, 2014, 02:27:04 PM
You are not Jason Bourne.

If you are not absolutely certain you know how to operate anonymously continuously don't attempt to operate a drug marketplace, at least one servicing the U.S. You see, the U.S. govt. is very resourceful and can (for now) print just about any money it needs for any task.

Ed Snowden himself said if they want to get your computer (specifically) they'll get you. Even I would have thought a clean Linux install would be a good starting point until the shellshock bug showed up. There are just too many potentially vulnerable points to consider to operate with confidence, from coin taint/trails, to compromised hidden services, to botched communication, and that's the technical side. There is also the human/social element to trip things up.

If you're going to attempt such an undertaking you should always operate under the assumption the enforcers are one step away. At the very least don't remain in the U.S. and regardless of location don't sit still. I'm not sure I'd even attempt it and I believe I know what I'm doing. You should at most operate for under one year then walk away, and if you can pull that off it would be an impressive achievement.
Pages:
Jump to: