Pages:
Author

Topic: Deepbit offline... - page 4. (Read 19215 times)

legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1001
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
May 30, 2011, 04:56:34 AM
You can definitely tell that deepbit went offline by looking at the difficulty charts.  Wink
Yes and IMHO this is a good sign - it shows that non-professional miners still make up for a large part of the hashing power. It seems mining is not yet as monopolized as I had thought.

I hope it will stay that way because that's very good for the bitcoin ecosystem.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
May 30, 2011, 04:20:49 AM
Well, RPC connection problem refers to problem communication with your pool. It loss of data occured when your miner send result of his work, there is a chance, that work is wasted. I am not sure wich miners engines failsave in that situation.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
May 30, 2011, 03:47:23 AM
why I always have the “Problems communicating with bitcoin RPC”  problem? Huh

what‘s the bitcoin RPC used for?

is it only used for computing the average speed in last 10 minutes?
Activity: 17
May 30, 2011, 02:53:40 AM
Getting a lot of "Problems communicating with bitcoin RPC", even though the site seems to be up and everyone else says it's working.
I'm also seeing a much lower hashrate on the site than I should be.

Is it just me or is the site still fritzing?

Edit:
Doesn't seem to be happening with any other pools so I'll just assume it's a problem on their end.

getting it too and i think its killing my hash rate im 1/2 the avg i was be for this mess
Activity: 9
May 30, 2011, 02:42:24 AM
Getting a lot of "Problems communicating with bitcoin RPC", even though the site seems to be up and everyone else says it's working.
I'm also seeing a much lower hashrate on the site than I should be.

Is it just me or is the site still fritzing?

Edit:
Doesn't seem to be happening with any other pools so I'll just assume it's a problem on their end.
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
May 30, 2011, 02:33:35 AM
Nobody in their right mind would try solo mining when they can easily join a new pool for a consistent pay out.
/meaningless/

Note : Payout was not so consistent in the last hours for those in a pool.
Activity: 29
May 30, 2011, 01:14:34 AM
It damn well ought to.
Yup, keep trying to drive up the price of Bitcoins.  You'll have to sling a lot of propaganda to make them worth $1000 though.

"Cost of doing business" was minimally impacted with Deepbit and slush's pool offline.  Miners simply switched to a new, unaffected pool, even if temporarily.  Nobody in their right mind would try solo mining when they can easily join a new pool for a consistent pay out.

An easier way to drive up the value of Bitcoin is to educate new users about it and offer compelling products/services for sale, creating a market where Bitcoins can have actual value.  Or set up a money laundering operation.  That'll get your $1000 valuation, guaranteed.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
May 30, 2011, 12:31:30 AM
Lol @ Esau.

You can definitely tell that deepbit went offline by looking at the difficulty charts.  Wink

Activity: 125
Merit: 100
May 30, 2011, 12:16:30 AM
does anyone think this outage will drive the price of btc up.

It damn well ought to.  From a business perspective, anyone mining with one of the affected pools (regardless of their reasoning) had their cost of doing business go up severely (akin to breakage/spillage/etc. from a manufacturer's perspective).  Those outages, from my vantage point, have affected operations for a quarter to half of a day.  Said another way, a quarter to a half of a day's production has been lost by people using those pools.  Furthermore, difficulty is such that it is statistically unfeasible for those miners to have switched their hardware over to solo mining, as you can't make up the difference in half a day assuming an average mining setup (average in my mind is 1 or 2 GH/sec).  Even if you had (what I consider to be) an "above average" setup with 15 Ghash/sec or so, your average block generation time running solo is still a day or more.  So yes it should drive the price up.

Although your question was not should it, but will it.  The problem is miners are essentially kids.  Note that I didn't say minors, I said kids.  As in, someone with the mentality of a child.  That's the only way to explain the kind of irrational exuberance that you see with people dumping gobs of money into mining.  It looks like the kiddies will continue to sell their bitcoins at the severely undervalued price of $8.30ish.  I say severely undervalued because I believe bitcoins will go to $1000 in 2 or 3 years, and the kiddies will realize they could've been millionaires by holding on to what they minted with spare video cards and free electricity in mom's basement.  I can't help but think of the story of Easu, the guy who sold his birthright for a bowl of soup.  But I digress..
legendary
Activity: 1400
May 29, 2011, 11:37:59 PM
Everything seems to be working now, but pool hash rate is down to 680GH/s.  It'll be interesting to see how much it recovers to original numbers.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
May 29, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
right now deep bit is saying it has 0 gh/s. that has to be some kind of error

Might be down again while he fixes payouts.
Activity: 133
May 29, 2011, 11:26:24 PM
right now deep bit is saying it has 0 gh/s. that has to be some kind of error
Activity: 109
Merit: 11
May 29, 2011, 11:22:16 PM
The upside to deepbit dying is that the chain isn't so heavily dominated by one pool anymore. The more smaller pools there are the better.
I dont think it will die, just like how Slush's pool didnt die when it went down
Just get smaller.
Activity: 1
May 29, 2011, 11:17:35 PM
The upside to deepbit dying is that the chain isn't so heavily dominated by one pool anymore. The more smaller pools there are the better.
Activity: 3
May 29, 2011, 11:12:06 PM
Its back up, but payout isn't working...
Edit: I also can't change my payment address
legendary
Activity: 2026
May 29, 2011, 11:05:51 PM
deepbit was back up up for a few minutes, but is back down again.
yes, it`s back down... Cry
Activity: 42
May 29, 2011, 10:56:45 PM
Never again gonna give a shit about which pools I get into,  Solo FTW. !!!

I suggest you do the same.

lol... with my amazing 85 megahash/sec I'd totally NOT find a block  Grin

Think long term buddy,  the downside is that you end up losing time every time you check if you've won a block.

Speaking of long term...

Since slush is down, I switched over to BTC Guild... 0% fees.... assuming I was a jack ass and didn't want to donate to BTC Guild.... wouldn't their 0% fee statistically be identically payout to solo mining, just levelized?

yes if your not paying a fee then pooled mining would be just like solo mining without having to wait for the full 50.
Activity: 3
May 29, 2011, 10:55:57 PM
deepbit was back up up for a few minutes, but is back down again.
Activity: 174
May 29, 2011, 10:48:38 PM
I'm surprised bitcoinpool.com isn't in those charts, there running at around 130 ghashes/s atm.
Activity: 56
May 29, 2011, 10:45:28 PM
You won't get transaction fees from a pool, at least not yet. But transaction fees are still so miniscule this early in bitcoins life. Also, "from a pool" might not be accurate, since I'm not sure if any of the newer pools that have popped up payout transaction fees too yet.
Pages:
Jump to: