Pages:
Author

Topic: Deepbit offline... - page 5. (Read 19215 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
May 29, 2011, 10:43:31 PM
Never again gonna give a shit about which pools I get into,  Solo FTW. !!!

I suggest you do the same.

lol... with my amazing 85 megahash/sec I'd totally NOT find a block  Grin

Think long term buddy,  the downside is that you end up losing time every time you check if you've won a block.

Speaking of long term...

Since slush is down, I switched over to BTC Guild... 0% fees.... assuming I was a jack ass and didn't want to donate to BTC Guild.... wouldn't their 0% fee statistically be identically payout to solo mining, just levelized?
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
May 29, 2011, 10:41:27 PM

Think long term buddy,  the downside is that you end up losing time every time you check if you've won a block.
May 29, 2011, 10:41:09 PM

lol... with my amazing 85 megahash/sec I'd totally NOT find a block  Grin
Could theoretically find one on your first hash Tongue

I could also, theoretically, die of old age before I find one Tongue Grin
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
May 29, 2011, 10:39:45 PM

Could theoretically find one on your first hash Tongue
May 29, 2011, 10:38:36 PM

donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
May 29, 2011, 10:37:04 PM

I suggest you do the same to protect the network.
May 29, 2011, 10:26:29 PM
does anyone think this outage will drive the price of btc up. Since i assume all of us have btc in our deepbit account that has not been paid yet that will decrease the amount of coins that will go to market to sell decreasing supply. at least in the short term, and it is possible that we will not get the coins for a long time if not ever.

I know there are reasons for people leaving a lot of btc in their deepbit accounts, but im sure most people have the default payout at 10 or even less.

Frankly, I think it's stupid to leave your btc there
Activity: 518
Merit: 100
May 29, 2011, 10:25:27 PM
The reason I prefer pie charts over regular pies is the wonderful fact that even if I eat more than half the slices the rest of them will magically grow to make sure the pie chart dish always is full...

Wink

Even before today, "other" was approximately equal in size to deepbit.

Do you know each and every entity that comprises "other"? Nope, neither do I.

So, all I was saying is that people are so focused on deepbit getting close to this magical 51% number, while "other" is a non-negligible chunk of the network. And, unlike deepbit, "other" could be largely composed of a single person or legal entity with malicious intentions, as far as anyone knows.

Just pointing out that at the moment "other" looks about as large as I would expect it to be after you take deepbit and slush out of the stats. And I also know that there are several known entities that don't have their own slices, including a few smaller pools that are on the forums, the xkcd and reddit pools, and a bunch of solo miners with multi-gigahash setups.
Activity: 133
May 29, 2011, 10:24:39 PM
does anyone think this outage will drive the price of btc up. Since i assume all of us have btc in our deepbit account that has not been paid yet that will decrease the amount of coins that will go to market to sell decreasing supply. at least in the short term, and it is possible that we will not get the coins for a long time if not ever.
May 29, 2011, 10:14:36 PM

I see. The last two posts in his thread say mining is down as well. I just assumed they were correct.

my miner was down. Diable kept repeating "unable to connect"....
May 29, 2011, 10:13:43 PM
Is anyone elses eyebrow a little cocked at the fact that "other" is  75% of hash distribution?(bitcoinwatch.com)  Do we think it is just solo miners or a secret pool of cia super computers trying to destroy the block chain?

Thats a good point.

All this attention on deepbit, and their nearly half stake in the total hash rate.... not too many people seem to point out that "other" is just as big, and even more scary than deepbit. At least with the hash rate for deepbit, we know *who* that is.... "other" could be 90% 1 person as far as anybody knows.

The reason I prefer pie charts over regular pies is the wonderful fact that even if I eat more than half the slices the rest of them will magically grow to make sure the pie chart dish always is full...

Wink

Even before today, "other" was approximately equal in size to deepbit.

Do you know each and every entity that comprises "other"? Nope, neither do I.

So, all I was saying is that people are so focused on deepbit getting close to this magical 51% number, while "other" is a non-negligible chunk of the network. And, unlike deepbit, "other" could be largely composed of a single person or legal entity with malicious intentions, as far as anyone knows.
Activity: 154
May 29, 2011, 10:11:31 PM

You're kidding but it's a serious question you're asking.

Although from slush's thread, it looks like slush just went down as well. Maybe you want to hit the "Generate Coins" button, just in case!

Nope, the mining pool is mostly up, though the website is mostly down.

I see. The last two posts in his thread say mining is down as well. I just assumed they were correct.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
May 29, 2011, 10:08:46 PM

Although from slush's thread, it looks like slush just went down as well. Maybe you want to hit the "Generate Coins" button, just in case!

Nope, the mining pool is mostly up, though the website is mostly down.
May 29, 2011, 10:07:35 PM

Activity: 518
May 29, 2011, 10:02:56 PM
Is anyone elses eyebrow a little cocked at the fact that "other" is  75% of hash distribution?(bitcoinwatch.com)  Do we think it is just solo miners or a secret pool of cia super computers trying to destroy the block chain?

Thats a good point.

All this attention on deepbit, and their nearly half stake in the total hash rate.... not too many people seem to point out that "other" is just as big, and even more scary than deepbit. At least with the hash rate for deepbit, we know *who* that is.... "other" could be 90% 1 person as far as anybody knows.

Wink
May 29, 2011, 10:02:46 PM
Has a cyberwar just started or something?

While the pools are off, you guys are doing solo mining, right?   You don't just have your computers wait doing nothing, do you?

Grondilu! I'm ashamed of you! You don't expect others to secure the network for you, do you?  Get your pick and get down and dirty with us!  Grin

I buy bitcoins so I support the market and thus give you some incentive to mine.  Isn't that good enough?

Yeah, I'm just poking fun.  Smiley The French are poor miners anyway. Stick to grapes!
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076
May 29, 2011, 09:57:21 PM

While the pools are off, you guys are doing solo mining, right?   You don't just have your computers wait doing nothing, do you?

Grondilu! I'm ashamed of you! You don't expect others to secure the network for you, do you?  Get your pick and get down and dirty with us!  Grin

I buy bitcoins so I support the market and thus give you some incentive to mine.  Isn't that good enough?
May 29, 2011, 09:52:14 PM

While the pools are off, you guys are doing solo mining, right?   You don't just have your computers wait doing nothing, do you?

Grondilu! I'm ashamed of you! You don't expect others to secure the network for you, do you?  Get your pick and get down and dirty with us!  Grin
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
May 29, 2011, 09:50:45 PM
Eh? Slush mining pool has been up and serving work continuously. But the web front end is getting hammered hard.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
May 29, 2011, 09:50:28 PM

While the pools are off, you guys are doing solo mining, right?   You don't just have your computers wait doing nothing, do you?
Solo mine if viable, or switch to a different pool until pool of preference is back and stable.
Pages:
Jump to: