Pages:
Author

Topic: delete - page 3. (Read 2660 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
November 28, 2015, 05:02:01 AM

How is paper wallet with private key not a "Bitcoin Storage method".   You store BTC on a address you have private key to.  Once you need it you can put private key into many different wallets depending on what's your favorite.

Yes that is what I meant. You said that a paper storage method is a method, but not in my list, because a signed data has to access an online PC to broadcast the transaction, which will happen in 1-9 ways.

So a paper wallet is irrelevant in this discussion, as I`m talking about PC security. Plus a paper wallet is worse secure than a hardware wallet, because both can be extorted from a person but a harware wallet atleast has access to the PC and its more practical.

The whole point of a paper wallet is that it keeps your private key (and BTC address) offline.  So it is stored on a piece of paper.   Your thread is about storage... not transmission.  And I'm talking storage in a safty deposit box or similar, not in a desk like one mentioned above.

I think leaving a big some on a PC is a bad idea for the most part.  And even military grade can have someone take BTC there is a level of trust at this level that a "bad  guy" can take advantage of just look at silk road where agents took BTC - http://www.coindesk.com/former-silk-road-dea-agent-pleads-guilty-to-bitcoin-theft/   So even military computers are not perfect as long as a human is part of equation.   According to your list this cannot happen as these DEA agents no doubt were military grade hardware and site.... but it did.  No way of storage has zero risk.

Your logic if flawed in my view.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1009
JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK
November 28, 2015, 02:22:13 AM
There is risk in using any of those methods mentioned. You can lose you key in the paper mess called a desk, you hard drive can crash, the site for your web wallet can not be accessible and the exchange you store your coins on can get hacked.
Nothing really is safe to store your coins on.

Yes, but i`m talking about malware security, not as in general risks.

Read the first posts , the topic of the thread is protection against malware and other digital hazards. Losing the keys by other means are a different discussion.
November 28, 2015, 02:20:36 AM

How is paper wallet with private key not a "Bitcoin Storage method".   You store BTC on a address you have private key to.  Once you need it you can put private key into many different wallets depending on what's your favorite.

Yes that is what I meant. You said that a paper storage method is a method, but not in my list, because a signed data has to access an online PC to broadcast the transaction, which will happen in 1-9 ways.

So a paper wallet is irrelevant in this discussion, as I`m talking about PC security. Plus a paper wallet is worse secure than a hardware wallet, because both can be extorted from a person but a harware wallet atleast has access to the PC and its more practical.

legendary
Activity: 966
TRUMP IS DOING THE BEST! MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
November 27, 2015, 11:00:30 PM
There is risk in using any of those methods mentioned. You can lose you key in the paper mess called a desk, you hard drive can crash, the site for your web wallet can not be accessible and the exchange you store your coins on can get hacked.
Nothing really is safe to store your coins on.
legendary
November 26, 2015, 05:25:27 AM

I suggest putting like 8.5 or something like that and talk about storing a properly made paper wallet in a bank safety deposit box.  If it's done correctly no risk of hacking as it's a paper wallet (again IF done correctly).   And with bank it has high security that most places don't.

Its a good option for large sums of bitcoins. 

A paper wallet doesnt have access to bitcoin. It stores private keys.

Then you must have the private key on a computer to be able to sign a transaction. At which point you have to choose 1 out of the 9 methods to access that private key.

So a paper wallet is more like a backup plan, but not a bitcoin point of access.

How is paper wallet with private key not a "Bitcoin Storage method".   You store BTC on a address you have private key to.  Once you need it you can put private key into many different wallets depending on what's your favorite.

To use it you need to put it into wallet yes.  But it in no way is a backup plan.  Paper wallet is a valid storage method.
November 26, 2015, 03:44:54 AM

I suggest putting like 8.5 or something like that and talk about storing a properly made paper wallet in a bank safety deposit box.  If it's done correctly no risk of hacking as it's a paper wallet (again IF done correctly).   And with bank it has high security that most places don't.

A paper wallet doesnt have access to bitcoin. It stores private keys.

Then you must have the private key on a computer to be able to sign a transaction. At which point you have to choose 1 out of the 9 methods to access that private key.

So a paper wallet is more like a backup plan, but not a bitcoin point of access.
legendary
November 26, 2015, 03:21:27 AM
I`m using method 8⟩ for my bitcoins, and every techy people can easily use method 8⟩ to store bitcoin.

If you are a non-tech person then probably 7) is the best method for you. Hardware wallets are probably the most cost-effective of them all and very practical and easy to use for mainstream people too,
and if you have no clue how to secure the bitcoins properly then probably 7) is the best for you.

Otherwise 8⟩ or probably 9) if you hold huge amounts of bitcoin.

GOOD LUCK KEEPING YOUR BITCOINS SAFE FROM THIEVES!

November 26, 2015, 12:46:41 AM
Pages:
Jump to: