Pages:
Author

Topic: Demurrage, transaction fees, storage fees & comparison to commodity money. - page 5. (Read 16732 times)

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

Bitcoin will either be expensive or attack prone. Both outcomes are not good for the BTC value.

It's only so expensive now because the economy that it represents is so small, and the inflation rate is so high.  That ratio will change with the growth of the economy and the first block reward cut.
legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1345
Armory Developer
It's just that there still needs to be some incentive for those early adopters to consolidate their holdings rather than keeping 400,000+ BTC in 8000+ transactions of 50 BTC apiece.

How is that an issue?
legendary
Armory Developer
I'm not sure I get.
If you don't need the block chain, maybe you don't need bitcoin in the first place.

The block chain secures the network. But it doesn't HAVE to be used to trade, it's merely the main frame. If you enforce rules on the block chain that people regard as unfair, they will naturally stray away from it, using escrows or key swapping to trade instead, and that will reduce the traffic on the block chain, thus reducing miners' fee, and reducing the security overall. As it stands, use of the block chain is voluntary, so you can't go around pushing rules on it.

Maybe I should say that discourages trade instead of transactions. If you buy 100 cofees for 20 btc you're trading more than if you buy just one.

You miss the point. Right now whether I pay .20 BTC or 20 BTC, I'm paying the same fee. Fee is based on transaction size, not volume. What is charged is the amount of data that needs to be added to the block chain for the transaction to take place. That is of course logic. But if you feel you need to modulate fees based on another criteria than block chain load because the payout is too low, then I say let things settle naturally and watch miners charge fees based on volume too.

My point still stands, flat fees always hurt small trades. Once again that will push people towards escrows, who will offer cheaper transfers while not paying a cent to the miners.

The point is that your proposal doesn't take time into account. If you buy one coffe with a 0.20 btc you just have recently acquired you will pay the same fees as another one that uses 0.20 btc that aquired a year ago.

I do not think time of entry is a legitimate cause for higher fees. You people are presenting hoarders as some sort of free loaders on the economy that only take and don't give anything in return... The network has grown to what it is thanks to long time holders. Not thanks to miners, not thanks to speculators, but thanks to long time investors alone, who took a chance and invested into Bitcoins. You are offering to chastise these people for the very action that bears the economy.

As creighto points out, storing "older coins" is more expensive for the network than storing "newer coins". Why only traders have so pay for storing everybody's account?

Quote from: creighto
Feel free to do so.  If you can trade keys off network you are not a burden to the network, and someone is going to pay the demurrage fee eventually for them and you.

Maybe you should take a little more time in reading the people you refer to. Traders are the ones making the block chain heavier, certainly not hoarders.

Nevertheless, the whole idea that hoarders just sit on their money and NEVER participate in the economy is preposterous.
legendary

As creighto points out, storing "older coins" is more expensive for the network than storing "newer coins". Why only traders have so pay for storing everybody's account?

This is not quite what I intended.  Older coins are not more expensive than newer coins.  Several dispersed transactions holding one person's funds is ore expensive than fewer transactions holding that same total.  It just tends to be more likely for older transactions because savers who have more bitcoin in total than is required for regular trade have a security incentive to spend the most recent matured coins before the older coins.  The default client behavior is to spend the oldest transactions first, but this can be changed; and thus it will if the incentive for savers to keep the bulk of their funds in many older transactions as compared to a few consolidated transactions.  I don't want the costs of storage to be very high, because I still want Bitcoin to favor capital accumulation.  It's just that there still needs to be some incentive for those early adopters to consolidate their holdings rather than keeping 400,000+ BTC in 8000+ transactions of 50 BTC apiece.

A max limit doesn't make any sense, however.  The fee needs to be roughly equivalent to the problem in order to encourage the desired behavior; which means that it needs to increase relative to the age of the transaction.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
The Demurrage rate would be substracted from the interest rates, thus leading to cheaper loans for borrowers.
That's an effect that most people in this forum consider undesirable. On the other hand, I consider that effect (provided that the demurrage rate is lower than the "liquidity premium" and therefore does not affect the risk premium) desirable.

I don't really get why you think it is possible to artificially manipulate the risk-free interest rate without affecting the risk premium.  When a borrower has the option of default, there is no distinction between risk-free interest rate and risk premium -- they are inextricably linked.  And since Bitcoin isn't going to be building debtor's prisons or enforcing wealth redistribution, it would be irresponsible to build such assumptions into the system.

Okay, so you just want to tax savers which would indirectly benefit borrowers.  We get that.  But if the demurrage is close to the actual cost of securing the network, then the effect is nil.  So couching your argument in terms of borrowing and lending just seems out of place.

Quote from: Raulo
The bailouts (which were indeed expensive) went for fixing the lending hole which Bitcoin is not doing.

The lending hole was caused by inflation and fractional reserves subsidizing investors.  Bitcoin eliminates that.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
I don't really believe that it's a near term problem, as this probably can't even become an issue until the block reward is pretty tiny.  We are talking about 40 years at least.  Still, by that time the system will be too entrenched to introduce any demurrage.  I'm trying to predict a possible issue, long range.

It's going to be a problem much sooner than that. Would you buy gold now if you knew that it would likely turn into lead in 40 years?

Even if we somehow collectively solve this problem, there is another one. Contrary to what Satoshi wrote at the beginning, Bitcoin is a quite expensive system to maintain. At the current difficulty and BTC price, miners are paid 25-30 million USD a year (by block inflation) to protect 40-45 million USD Bitcoin market value. The current BTC price/difficulty may be abnormally high but the electricity alone costs a cool 1-1.5 million USD a year and equipment depreciation is 2-3 times of that and it will rise when BTC price/difficulty drops. And Bitcoin is barely safe to an attack because Bictoin need to maintain this capacity constantly and attackers can just use short bursts. I'm not sure that the mainstream banking costs for transaction system and money supply are so high percentwise for the same amount of money supply and trading that Bitcoin offers. The bailouts (which were indeed expensive) went for fixing the lending hole which Bitcoin is not doing.

Bitcoin will either be expensive or attack prone. Both outcomes are not good for the BTC value.

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002
savers = hoarders + people who store goods for future consumption + investors who don't borrow money + lenders
You don't need to borrow money to be a trader.

Then I'm a little confused as to what this discussion has to do with lending/borrowing.  Can you explain that?

The Demurrage rate would be substracted from the interest rates, thus leading to cheaper loans for borrowers.
That's an effect that most people in this forum consider undesirable. On the other hand, I consider that effect (provided that the demurrage rate is lower than the "liquidity premium" and therefore does not affect the risk premium) desirable.
legendary
savers = hoarders + people who store goods for future consumption + investors who don't borrow money + lenders

Then I'm a little confused as to what this discussion has to do with lending/borrowing.  Can you explain that?
legendary

Quote from: jtimon
Why the lender can charge for that service to borrowers (who probably would enjoy it for little time before he invest his loan) instead of being charged to the holders (who enjoy it) by the maintainers of the trading system (who provide it)?

I realize English is not your native language, but lender/borrower/loan is not the correct terminology.  You would do better to substitute, eg. lender=saver, borrower=trader, loan=Bitcoins.

No, English is not my native language, so I appreciate any correction in my use of it.
But, but as far as I know...
legendary
The demurrage will increase their trading incentive, not only with fees for holding but through lower transaction fees.

No it won't. You'll simply sit on a coin with capped fee and swap the private keys around, enjoying lower fees on your everyday spending wallet. Overall this will reduce network security long term, because it forces people to design ways to altogether avoid the block chain.

I'm not sure I get.
If you don't need the block chain, maybe you don't need bitcoin in the first place.

Quote from: goatpig
This would discourage transactions the same way to every holder no matter how long they hold their money.

What discourages transactions is trying to buy a cup of coffee for 20 cents with 1 cents fee when you could buy 100 of them for 20 BTC, with the same 1 cent fee.

Maybe I should say that discourages trade instead of transactions. If you buy 100 cofees for 20 btc you're trading more than if you buy just one.
The point is that your proposal doesn't take time into account. If you buy one coffe with a 0.20 btc you just have recently acquired you will pay the same fees as another one that uses 0.20 btc that aquired a year ago.

Quote from: goatpig
This would charge traders instead of hoarders.

Traders are the ones who use the system intensively, somehow they should pay less for a service they use the most?

Since transaction fees will still exist, traders will still pay more than other users for the service the use the most, only they will pay lower fees because they don't have to cover the cost of "storing".
legendary
Traders are the ones who use the system intensively, somehow they should pay less for a service they use the most?

Traders already pay transaction fees.

Quote from: jtimon
Why the lender can charge for that service to borrowers (who probably would enjoy it for little time before he invest his loan) instead of being charged to the holders (who enjoy it) by the maintainers of the trading system (who provide it)?

I realize English is not your native language, but lender/borrower/loan is not the correct terminology.  You would do better to substitute, eg. lender=saver, borrower=trader, loan=Bitcoins.
legendary
Armory Developer
The demurrage will increase their trading incentive, not only with fees for holding but through lower transaction fees.

No it won't. You'll simply sit on a coin with capped fee and swap the private keys around, enjoying lower fees on your everyday spending wallet. Overall this will reduce network security long term, because it forces people to design ways to altogether avoid the block chain.

This would discourage transactions the same way to every holder no matter how long they hold their money.

What discourages transactions is trying to buy a cup of coffee for 20 cents with 1 cents fee when you could buy 100 of them for 20 BTC, with the same 1 cent fee.

This would charge traders instead of hoarders.

legendary
My understanding is that demurrage will naturally impact on fees. Miners can and will charge lower fees for "live" coins since they have some sort of "guaranteed" profit through old coins. This is shifting a larger amount of the network cost on long time holders, who by definition have a low motivation to trade their coins. I don't think it's a good idea to lower their trading incentive even more.

Hoarder: Someone who has done some work for the Bitcoin community and not asked anything in return.

Yes.
Does the Bitcoin community have to wait indefinitely until he decides how he wants to be compensated?
He is locking part of the total liquidity of the trading system (money) in the meantime.   
Liquidity is a service provided by the trading system.
Why the hoarder have to enjoy that service for free?
legendary

Note that my proposal for demurrage is different than the one of creighto.
He proposes that the current miner charges the demurrage fee at the moment of the transaction and only in certain situations.
I propose the demurrage fee to be charged every block to every account and the total demurrrage paid to be added to the reward.
This distributes the payment to the miners for their collective storage service in a more uniform and predictable fashion. The block reward is kept while having a stable monetary base (after the demurrage fees equal the reward). The monetary base would in fact be more stable that without demurrage because the lost wallets would eventually evaporate through it.

I think hitting every account for every block is a bit excessive.  Perhaps every account every retarget block instead.  Still, I think that there should be a delay of some kind.  Transaction fees already imply some period of storage.  At least a month, even credit cards give you 30 days "grace".

Hitting every block with a small fee would be the same as hitting every retarget block with a proportionally higher fee. If you charge for each block the fee just have to be smaller for the storing cost to be the same.
The advantage of calculate the demurrage taking into account each block instead of every x blocks is that the storage costs are charged in a more grained (and more fair) fashion.    
The "grace period" it seems logical. Do you have to wait for six confirmation to be able to spend the newly received funds?
The problem would be again that the demurrage reward wouldn't be constant with each block.

Quote from: creighto
That said, if there were some way to asses this in an ongoing fashion, that would be preferable from an economic standpoint; I just don't think that is possible from a technical standpoint.

In fact I think my proposal is easy to implement.
The demurrage fees would be payed (calculated removed from circulation) with each transaction.
The miners would receive the fees not directly from the payer but as "newly created" coins.
It doesn't matter that the holder hasn't pay the demurrage fee yet when a miner receives it, it will be payed with the next transaction so the monetary base remains effectively constant.
In the meantime, your client would discount the demurrage fees from your balance.  
legendary
Armory Developer
a) it requires the recipient to trust you not to double spend, and

b) the future transaction fee on those 100 BTC will devalue the private key you are trading.  Even with trust, no one would accept an "old" BTC key that's going to pay a transaction fee to circulate at face value (unless they wanted to pay a premium to keep the transaction completely hidden from the world -- that's a different issue).

a) No problem.

b) Still not a problem. If you can establish enough trust between traders to swap around private keys, you already have enough information to calculate the demurrage on the coin anyways. If I've got a 100 BTC coin with 2 BTC demurrage on it, then ima trade it as a 98 BTC face value coin, and as long as this coin is widely accepted, everyone in the process can skip the demurrage fee. I'm seeing talks of some long term cap on the maximum demurrage fee, once you got a coin that hit the cap, you certainly have no interest whatsoever in spending it through the block chain anymore if you can find someone that'll take the private key instead.

Feel free to do so.  If you can trade keys off network you are not a burden to the network, and someone is going to pay the demurrage fee eventually for them and you.

I don't think it's that simple. My understanding is that demurrage will naturally impact on fees. Miners can and will charge lower fees for "live" coins since they have some sort of "guaranteed" profit through old coins. This is shifting a larger amount of the network cost on long time holders, who by definition have a low motivation to trade their coins. I don't think it's a good idea to lower their trading incentive even more.

This system shouldn't have demurrage because your coins are safe in your wallet. They are exposed when you trade them. The analogy with gold stands in that it costs much less to hold on your gold in some safe place than to move it around. You want hoarders to participate to network fees, then have the fees scale based on tx size AND volume. I move more BTC around, I pay more.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
Hoarder: Someone who has done some work for the Bitcoin community and not asked anything in return.
legendary

Note that my proposal for demurrage is different than the one of creighto.
He proposes that the current miner charges the demurrage fee at the moment of the transaction and only in certain situations.
I propose the demurrage fee to be charged every block to every account and the total demurrrage paid to be added to the reward.
This distributes the payment to the miners for their collective storage service in a more uniform and predictable fashion. The block reward is kept while having a stable monetary base (after the demurrage fees equal the reward). The monetary base would in fact be more stable that without demurrage because the lost wallets would eventually evaporate through it.

I think hitting every account for every block is a bit excessive.  Perhaps every account every retarget block instead.  Still, I think that there should be a delay of some kind.  Transaction fees already imply some period of storage.  At least a month, even credit cards give you 30 days "grace".

That said, if there were some way to asses this in an ongoing fashion, that would be preferable from an economic standpoint; I just don't think that is possible from a technical standpoint.
legendary
Won't your proposal have the same effect as a small inflation?

No.  Inflation is really the limitless growth of the monetary base, and works like a tax upon the currency's user base.  This hits savers the hardest, and is not relative to their costs.  Demurrage does not devalue the currency overall, and I'm trying to compensate the miners/network for the unfunded costs of long term storage of capital accumulation.  It's not a high cost, really.  But there is a cost, and it would be ideal to have a mechanism that can approximate the costs of capital storage found for other sound money systems.
legendary

A hoarder that nicely keeps all his coins in one place and costs the whole network just a few hundred bytes benefits from large difficulty. But pays nothing to keep this difficulty high enough. Without any mechanism for paying for this protection, the difficulty will be set on a level that is too low to protect this collective wealth.  And since nobody has any motivation to voluntarily pay for this protection (because you cannot pay for protection of just your money, you can only pay for protection of everyone's money) the Nash equilibrium will be such that nobody pays and everybody expect everybody else to pay. And one cannot expect that a few billion worth of BTC (let's be optimistic) will be properly guarded by a difficulty level corresponding to a few million dollar compute system.

That's the issue in a nutshell.  I don't really believe that it's a near term problem, as this probably can't even become an issue until the block reward is pretty tiny.  We are talking about 40 years at least.  Still, by that time the system will be too entrenched to introduce any demurrage.  I'm trying to predict a possible issue, long range.
legendary

Also that demurage idea is worthless. You impose that on me and ima make myself some nice and tidy stacks of 100 BTC per private key and just trade the keys directly while I fill in the smaller amounts with coins from a spending account which are freshly traded...

Feel free to do so.  If you can trade keys off network you are not a burden to the network, and someone is going to pay the demurrage fee eventually for them and you.
Pages:
Jump to: