Pages:
Author

Topic: Desert island economy on Bitcoin without being connected to the internet? - page 2. (Read 3348 times)

legendary
Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014
lol... that is so true!
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
very interesting question.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
sealswithclubs.eu
There would be no need for mining and no way to copy a wallet,
if those 100kBTC they take are paper-coins, or otherwise physical bitcoins (e.g. casascius) to start with.

Problems solved.  Cheesy

Brain wallet, for the win.
legendary
Activity: 3657
Merit: 1448
There would be no need for mining and no way to copy a wallet,
if those 100kBTC they take are paper-coins, or otherwise physical bitcoins (e.g. casascius) to start with.

Problems solved.  Cheesy
Activity: 10
Myself, the one hacker on this island, would take all of the BTC for myself and then begin my dictatorship!
legendary
Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014
So in my theoretical example, a group of 50 of so people takes 100kBTC and goes to live on a desert island.  They have a local network, but no connection to the internet as a whole.  They attempt to run an economy.

What problems might arise?  Would mining still work?  Could transactions be verified?

Now consider that someone takes a copy of their local wallet with 500BTC that they earned growing carrots back into the world and tries to spend it.  Does it work? 

Is there any way to adapt Bitcoin to solve any problems with this scenario?

Can someone point me to a reference that would answer this type of question?

Their immediate problem will be mining. Since the difficulty is recorded in the blockchain they've all been using, they'd better bring a reasonable fraction of the total network hashrate with them. If conact is ever made with the real world all their confirmations will likely be erased when the rest of the world's ostensibly more cumulative difficulty chain over takes theirs.

It'd be better for them to each have a miner and start a new block chain.

Later transfers would then be done at a new exchange rate that would arise between the local chain and global chain's currency.
Activity: 3
So in my theoretical example, a group of 50 of so people takes 100kBTC and goes to live on a desert island.  They have a local network, but no connection to the internet as a whole.  They attempt to run an economy.

What problems might arise?  Would mining still work?  Could transactions be verified?

Now consider that someone takes a copy of their local wallet with 500BTC that they earned growing carrots back into the world and tries to spend it.  Does it work? 

Is there any way to adapt Bitcoin to solve any problems with this scenario?

Can someone point me to a reference that would answer this type of question?
Pages:
Jump to: