Pages:
Author

Topic: 'Designer babies' debate should start, scientists say - page 2. (Read 2987 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
To those who ignore it, the nazis were the strongest proponents of eugenism. They killed the inferior people (jews, gypsies...) and they created the lebensborn to organize the master race.

The Boys from Brazil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=167yT9JX0_Y

legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
To those who ignore it, the nazis were the strongest proponents of eugenism. They killed the inferior people (jews, gypsies...) and they created the lebensborn to organize the master race.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
The movie Gattaca is relevant to this discussion. You should watch it.
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
This really could be a good thing if controlled properly.

He's true tho. Imagine looking like Brad Pitt while being as smart as Satoshi Nakamoto. You would never be depressed.

Imagine 1 million people getting the same Brad Pitt while being as smart as Satoshi Nakamoto Amazon Prime Gene Gift Card for christmas...

Can't wait for the cheaper chinese gene therapy knock off... Wink

legendary
Activity: 1135
Who will get the first serially implanted exploits? If the product you bought (aka your "baby") has an exploit found, are you gonna trash it?

Or just return it if it's within warranty. Kidding aside, designer babies will happen eventually. Maybe in secret at first while not socially acceptable. But it's inevitable it will start somewhere. And then if you don't want your kids to be at a disadvantage, you will have to do it as well.
Activity: 182
Merit: 123
"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"
Who will get the first serially implanted exploits? If the product you bought (aka your "baby") has an exploit found, are you gonna trash it?
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

He's true tho. Imagine looking like Brad Pitt while being as smart as Satoshi Nakamoto. You would never be depressed.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 1368
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Activity: 308
Merit: 100
I'm nothing without GOD
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

... Until the next discovery inside another cave somewhere.
When we believe we know something, we freeze the flux of reality to make sense of the now. The computer will help make better humans now, risking freezing the flow of our future genetic reality forever.

If I wanted something practical, I'd get married. But this is way too poetic.

Smiley

Let the flux of reality flow...

legendary

When we believe we know something, we freeze the flux of reality to make sense of the now. The computer will help make better humans now, risking freezing the flow of our future genetic reality forever.

If I wanted something practical, I'd get married. But this is way too poetic.

Smiley
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
Personally, I like the idea that Bitcoin Talk allows same name threads. Imagine a full page in a forum with 20 separate threads, all having the same name.

I wonder if they will allow us to personally start 20 threads with the same name. Imagine! A full page of "'Designer babies' debate should start, scientists say" all by Wilikon!

Smiley

EDIT: Think of the possibilities. Imagine a hospital full of unrelated designer babies, all born to different parents, yet all exactly the same, simply because they had been designed that way.

Is that why there are two threads with the same name? I wouldn't put it past Wilikon to have one of his buddies start a second, "designer" page, just like his designer baby page, at least in title, simply to make a point, or, to get some laughs.

"All by Wilikon" Grin Cheesy

As a reminder to all, I do not have any buddies on bitcointalk. I cannot prove to you I am telling the truth though. The 'Trust no one protocol' is still in place, all the time, in my mind.

Secondly, I never forget posting on bitcointalk is a privilege, not a human right. I try to keep disturbing links and images to a strict minimum. When I have already developed a thread for a particular subject, I'll try to keep it updated as long as I am alive.

Most of us here are mature adults, no matter how different our political views are. That could be one of the reason your idea of infinite cloning of threads with the same titles hasn't taken root yet...  Smiley

My apologies, for suggesting that you have buddies here. But we are all a little inter related, especially if we have been posting right along side each other for a long time, aren't we?

Anyway. I should have posted a grinning smiley, because I was joking (somewhat); I thought it was obviousish.

Smiley

EDIT: I wonder if it is possible to design unisex babies that, after they have grown up, can reproduce more of their own kind without having a sex partner. This might be something that is built into the genes in such a way that it could never happen naturally. But we just might be able to "tweak" the genetics enough to start it happening.

I am not sure if we are smart enough to understand the millions of years of survival of the fittest paradigm yet. Everything we imagine is locked with us on this planet forever. Good or bad. Cloning exists in multiple forms in nature already. Although none of those living creatures seem to be on a evolutionary path to create the next bitcoin protocol, even if we wait a billion years.

It is not by chance we do what we do. Even if you only believe in chance and pure randomness of nature, you know this little insect, no matter how many times it will roll the dice of evolution, won't fly all the way to the moon, unless being a parasite stucked in some human being gloves...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7eRGHVx3p0

We may take the risk of limiting ourselves genetically for long, multi generation star trekking...

With the help of computers, we just might be able to engineer anything we want. The problem in our thinking is that there are so many variables around, that we can't tell much about the past. The best we can do is to determine the near past, and to understand the things that we see happening.

Until we get a practically operating time viewer, we are not really going to know what happened in the distant past. We see what exists now. We can extrapolate somewhat, according to experience. But the further back we go, the greater the chance is that we missed an important event or two that affected everything.

The best we can do regarding the past is to interpret the writings of those people who recorded the ancient past as it unfolded in their lives. We have inscriptions on walls, ancient scrolls, and all kinds of handed down traditions. It amazes me that scientists don't take the history of the Bible more seriously. After all, it is some of the best written history, with some of the best tradition regarding its authenticity, that exists today. In fact, it is way beyond anything else tradition-wise. The Dead Sea Scrolls show that the Old Testament of the Bible is absolutely the most powerful historical writing that exists.

Smiley

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
It's wrong to choose an occupation when you are still a baby, but it's also good to have new designers as well.
legendary
Personally, I like the idea that Bitcoin Talk allows same name threads. Imagine a full page in a forum with 20 separate threads, all having the same name.

I wonder if they will allow us to personally start 20 threads with the same name. Imagine! A full page of "'Designer babies' debate should start, scientists say" all by Wilikon!

Smiley

EDIT: Think of the possibilities. Imagine a hospital full of unrelated designer babies, all born to different parents, yet all exactly the same, simply because they had been designed that way.

Is that why there are two threads with the same name? I wouldn't put it past Wilikon to have one of his buddies start a second, "designer" page, just like his designer baby page, at least in title, simply to make a point, or, to get some laughs.

As a reminder to all, I do not have any buddies on bitcointalk. I cannot prove to you I am telling the truth though. The 'Trust no one protocol' is still in place, all the time, in my mind.

Secondly, I never forget posting on bitcointalk is a privilege, not a human right. I try to keep disturbing links and images to a strict minimum. When I have already developed a thread for a particular subject, I'll try to keep it updated as long as I am alive.

Most of us here are mature adults, no matter how different our political views are. That could be one of the reason your idea of infinite cloning of threads with the same titles hasn't taken root yet...  Smiley

My apologies, for suggesting that you have buddies here. But we are all a little inter related, especially if we have been posting right along side each other for a long time, aren't we?

Anyway. I should have posted a grinning smiley, because I was joking (somewhat); I thought it was obviousish.

Smiley

EDIT: I wonder if it is possible to design unisex babies that, after they have grown up, can reproduce more of their own kind without having a sex partner. This might be something that is built into the genes in such a way that it could never happen naturally. But we just might be able to "tweak" the genetics enough to start it happening.

I am not sure if we are smart enough to understand the millions of years of survival of the fittest paradigm yet. Everything we imagine is locked with us on this planet forever. Good or bad. Cloning exists in multiple forms in nature already. Although none of those living creatures seem to be on a evolutionary path to create the next bitcoin protocol, even if we wait a billion years.

It is not by chance we do what we do. Even if you only believe in chance and pure randomness of nature, you know this little insect, no matter how many times it will roll the dice of evolution, won't fly all the way to the moon, unless being a parasite stucked in some human being gloves...

We may take the risk of limiting ourselves genetically for long, multi generation star trekking...

With the help of computers, we just might be able to engineer anything we want. The problem in our thinking is that there are so many variables around, that we can't tell much about the past. The best we can do is to determine the near past, and to understand the things that we see happening.

Until we get a practically operating time viewer, we are not really going to know what happened in the distant past. We see what exists now. We can extrapolate somewhat, according to experience. But the further back we go, the greater the chance is that we missed an important event or two that affected everything.

The best we can do regarding the past is to interpret the writings of those people who recorded the ancient past as it unfolded in their lives. We have inscriptions on walls, ancient scrolls, and all kinds of handed down traditions. It amazes me that scientists don't take the history of the Bible more seriously. After all, it is some of the best written history, with some of the best tradition regarding its authenticity, that exists today. In fact, it is way beyond anything else tradition-wise. The Dead Sea Scrolls show that the Old Testament of the Bible is absolutely the most powerful historical writing that exists.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
I first thought I was seeing double or these two threads were cloned.  Grin

The thread had babies and they cloned themselves
It just went to show that it was an interesting topic
Anyways a bit to close to Eugenics for me although a world with Gundam Seed level coordinators and naturals does seem like its setting the stage for an epic space saga of the future.
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Smiley

Smiley

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Smiley

Smiley

No worry about 'offending me or my image'. I love caricatures  Smiley

I did not take what you say wrongly. Sadly I have to remember a lot of people on the net can't understand the art of irony without the help of a yellow  Smiley Wink Cheesy Shocked Shocked Tongue Cry Embarrassed

Not everyone understands the subtleties of the english language...

legendary

Smiley

Smiley

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Smiley

Most of us here are mature adults, no matter how different our political views are. That could be one of the reason your idea of infinite cloning of threads with the same titles hasn't taken root yet...  Smiley

Pages:
Jump to: