Pages:
Author

Topic: Did Satoshi ever mention anything about the taxing of Bitcoin? - page 4. (Read 763 times)

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179
No. I think taxation is quite subjective and differs from case to case as to what is justified as taxation and what isn't. I don't even think I would care if he considered taxation a point of importance.

Being given the opportunity to be your own bank and therefore no longer need a central party to rely on, there effectively is no way to tax you, while before, the IRS could have made it so that your bank accounts would be frozen.

The only way to have your Bitcoins frozen is to have them stored in an exchange or online wallet service, but then a point can be made that it's not you who owns the coins, but the exchange or online wallet service.
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
None that I can remember upon reading some of his posts and interactions with other notable figures in bitcoin. From the looks of it, Satoshi seemed to be that anti-government guy that wants things to stay clear of government intervention and control that's why he created bitcoin. Also, his views are mainly crypto-anarchism, so that per se explicitly states that he will never ever support taxation in any way or form.

This pretty much sums up what I think as well.
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
None that I can remember upon reading some of his posts and interactions with other notable figures in bitcoin. From the looks of it, Satoshi seemed to be that anti-government guy that wants things to stay clear of government intervention and control that's why he created bitcoin. Also, his views are mainly crypto-anarchism, so that per se explicitly states that he will never ever support taxation in any way or form.
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
No, why would he?
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18697
You can have a look through all of Satoshi's writings here: https://satoshi.nakamotoinstitute.org/
And you can also have a look through all of his forum posts here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/satoshi-3

As far as I can tell, he never directly mentioned taxation. Tax is mentioned briefly in a couple of the early email chains between Satoshi and people like Hal Finney and Ray Dillinger. I'll paste the relevant sections here:

I know the same (lack of intrinsic value) can be said of fiat currencies, but an artificial demand for fiat currencies is created by (among other things) taxation and legal-tender laws. Also, even a fiat currency can be an inflation hedge against another fiat currency's higher rate of inflation. But in the case of bitcoins the inflation rate of 35% is almost guaranteed by the technology, there are no supporting mechanisms for taxation, and no legal-tender laws. People will not hold assets in this highly-inflationary currency if they can help it.

In the modern world, no major government wants to allow untracable international financial transactions above some fairly modest size thresholds. (The usual catch-phrases are things like "laundering drug money", "tax evasion", and/or "financing terrorist groups".) To this end, electronic financial transactions are currently monitored by various governments & their agencies, and any but the smallest of transactions now come with various ID requirements for the humans on each end.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
I think that's quite doubtful.
Satoshi was never in power in a government, he probably didnt care what people did with the currency and just offered something they built to the community.

Bitcoin fees are a bit like a tax (as much as inflation is a hidden tax in currency) but that's all e really have afaik.

If you think bitcoin will go higher, it's worth paying taxes now rather than paying huge fines in the future for not doing so...
Activity: 210
Merit: 13
Did Satoshi ever mention anything about the taxing of Bitcoin?
Pages:
Jump to: