Pages:
Author

Topic: Difficulty drop - page 3. (Read 6317 times)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
October 09, 2012, 05:20:13 PM
Think on this a bit...BFL has already said that they have enough orders to bring the network up about 10x from it's current 20 TH to about 200 TH, which will cut your profitability to 1/10th of where it is today.  Then you factor in the drop in the reward from 50 to 25 BTC in the near future, and that halves your profitability even further.  So, that's about cut of about 1/20th of what you are making today.
So I'll be making 1/20th of what I would be making today, on a per GH/s basis. But I've increased my GH/s 60x, so I'm still coming out 3x ahead.  Wink

Absolutely...my point was that anyone thinking they'll be able to just continue on with what they're doing now is going to be sorely mistaken.  While there might be a few months of flux in the difficulty rate and hashing numbers that might still allow someone to survive, you're going to need to jump on the ASIC bandwagon.  Figure you're going to need 20x the hashing power of what you're doing now to match what you're making now.  That's likely easy to do if you go ASIC, but someone mining a couple of GH now isn't going to be able just swap in a Jalepeno or two thinking they tripled their hash rate and they'll be alright.  If you got 2 GH now, you'll need at least 40 GH to match your current profits.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
October 09, 2012, 05:15:54 PM
Think on this a bit...BFL has already said that they have enough orders to bring the network up about 10x from it's current 20 TH to about 200 TH, which will cut your profitability to 1/10th of where it is today.  Then you factor in the drop in the reward from 50 to 25 BTC in the near future, and that halves your profitability even further.  So, that's about cut of about 1/20th of what you are making today.
So I'll be making 1/20th of what I would be making today, on a per GH/s basis. But I've increased my GH/s 60x, so I'm still coming out 3x ahead.  Wink
Activity: 378
October 09, 2012, 05:12:05 PM
Think on this a bit...BFL has already said that they have enough orders to bring the network up about 10x from it's current 20 TH to about 200 TH, which will cut your profitability to 1/10th of where it is today.  Then you factor in the drop in the reward from 50 to 25 BTC in the near future, and that halves your profitability even further.  So, that's a cut of about 1/20th of what you are making today.

Of course this assumes the $/BTC price stays steady, and that 200 TH numbers is really where things end up.  If that is the case, if you are mining with the 4.5 GH that a Jalepeno is supposed to do, you'd make just under 1.5 BTC/day.  After the increase in network size and halving of reward, that 4.5 GH is going to produce about .075 BTC/day, or about 90 cents in USD at today's rate of $12/BTC.

Granted, it's probably still profitable using only about .1 kilowatts/day (or 3/month), but you really going to need to go big or go home when things really ramp up.  We're not even considering orders from other ASIC vendors getting into the hashing pool.  Even if every piece of equipment that's mining today stops and only the new BFL orders are mining, that's about 180 TH which knocks your profitability down from today's rates to about 1/18th...

Activity: 16
Merit: 0
October 09, 2012, 04:27:10 PM
Will there be such a thing as new ASIC miners?  Will people who have never mined before want to invest money in ASIC?  When GPU mining was profitable, anyone could do it, people got interested and upgraded.  I think the advent of ASIC makes it a niche sport now.

Why??

Its gonne be even easier dude!!!!!!!!!!!!! No high end PC or vid cards to buy & maintain.No issues with vid drivers,OC'in,drawing too much current from your PSU OR your outlet.

ANYONE can buy one & hook up a USB cable,DL the miner software,join a pool & boom your mining on an old P.O.S. PC..............

Hell,my mom is 72 years old & she could do it  Cool

Well, being late to the scene, I'm considering buying a little sc unit from butterfly labs but I have my concerns about profitability (in part because no deliveries have been made yet and no effect can be seen yet).
However if it is still profiltable after a few months I would buy an asic unit and start mining as a first time miner.

(I have a laptop with internal video card for the moment, i even tried cpu mining a few months ago hehe..)
Activity: 420
October 09, 2012, 03:49:44 PM
This is true, however, I anticipate that after ASIC's are about and hashing publicly, the difficulty will rise so high that owning a Jalepeno will be like using a X750 or X770 ATi card.
Agreed.  Its interesting to see the people who are buying 2 or 3 of these devices think they are gonna make millions.. they aren't thinking about the difficulty increase

On a long enough timeline you're correct (of course) - I believe they'll be slightly better return than the same money spent on a video card initially. I project the difficulty will stabalize at a point where an SC single makes between 3 and 4 times what an fpga single makes right now.

Something to recall is the ASICs will have a much lower power consumption and that (at least in the USA) should drop operating costs for most miners. I don't know about everywhere else, but here we have a percentage based rate... in my area it's 11 cent up to 625kwh then 13 cent @ 110% and 15 cent @ 120% then jumps to 35 cent over 130%. Which frankly is a moot point for me since I've offset most of my electric with solar panels. But that will affect some folks at least.

Of course in another year, instead of 5x or 10x difficulty we'll see 20x or 30x and then it's a race 40x as peoples initial re-investments get paid off and everyone starts scaling up.

At 40x difficulty - an FPGA single would take a loss for mining if paying 13 cent per kwh. And SC singles will still be hitting ROI in under a year.

Activity: 896
Merit: 532
Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum
October 09, 2012, 09:25:49 AM

Ahh,didn't see that point of view........I'm an American & I only see things from my side the world  Cheesy

Most americans do Tongue
Activity: 456
October 08, 2012, 08:24:38 PM
Will there be such a thing as new ASIC miners?  Will people who have never mined before want to invest money in ASIC?  When GPU mining was profitable, anyone could do it, people got interested and upgraded.  I think the advent of ASIC makes it a niche sport now.

Why??

Its gonne be even easier dude!!!!!!!!!!!!! No high end PC or vid cards to buy & maintain.No issues with vid drivers,OC'in,drawing too much current from your PSU OR your outlet.

ANYONE can buy one & hook up a USB cable,DL the miner software,join a pool & boom your mining on an old P.O.S. PC..............

Hell,my mom is 72 years old & she could do it  Cool

This is true, however, I anticipate that after ASIC's are about and hashing publicly, the difficulty will rise so high that owning a Jalepeno will be like using a X750 or X770 ATi card.

Agreed.  Its interesting to see the people who are buying 2 or 3 of these devices think they are gonna make millions.. they aren't thinking about the difficulty increase
legendary
Activity: 966
October 08, 2012, 08:12:43 PM
Difficulty will adjust and we'll all be back where we started ... except our pockets will have emptied themselves into the ASIC manufacturer's pockets. Certainly not a criticism of the manufacturers - just a simple fact that's how it works.

Shovel-making sure is a sweet business to be in during a gold rush.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
October 08, 2012, 08:04:52 PM
Will there be such a thing as new ASIC miners?  Will people who have never mined before want to invest money in ASIC?  When GPU mining was profitable, anyone could do it, people got interested and upgraded.  I think the advent of ASIC makes it a niche sport now.

Why??

Hell,my mom is 72 years old & she could do it  Cool

Dare I state the obvious ....

Is this in any way unexpected?

The price performance of the devices is of course relative - but the price point certainly suggests buying a Jalepeno and mining with it in the near future will be no better than buying a cheap GFX card now and mining with it.

The $1k ASIC devices may even (in the not too distant future) be no better than mining with a high end (but certainly cheaper) GFX card is now.

Difficulty will adjust and we'll all be back where we started ... except our pockets will have emptied themselves into the ASIC manufacturer's pockets. Certainly not a criticism of the manufacturers - just a simple fact that's how it works.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
October 08, 2012, 07:31:19 PM
Will there be such a thing as new ASIC miners?  Will people who have never mined before want to invest money in ASIC?  When GPU mining was profitable, anyone could do it, people got interested and upgraded.  I think the advent of ASIC makes it a niche sport now.

Why??

Also keep in mind that it is relatively easy to get a graphics card in much of the world, but acquire a system ASIC is very different, especially if you do not live in USA.

You are forced to buy from abroad, adding paperwork, waiting times and tariffs (very big in some cases).

In addition, BFL, BTCFPGA and Avalon (I think also is based in USA but produced in China) were U.S. companies and these devices are classified under the "U.S. Bureau of Industry and Security export control", so they can simply refuse sale by your country of origin.

Although jalapenos and single SC look cheap, with the rise of difficulty, maybe not be more efficient than the same investment in GPU today.

Edit:
13 years old gamers can't mining any more.

Ahh,didn't see that point of view........I'm an American & I only see things from my side the world  Cheesy
legendary
October 08, 2012, 07:29:12 PM

Why??

I agree  Sad

But,like with GPU's now,you still need a specific amount of hashing power to make anything (around 3gh/s seems to be ok for me now).

So,maybe 30-90 gh/s in the future to make what I'm making now.We won't know until feb-march when the ASIC's saturate the mining market.

+ the price of BTC should go up a bit after the halving.How much?? Only time will tell............gonna be interesting to watch at any rate  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1022
October 08, 2012, 05:42:52 PM
In addition, BFL, BTCFPGA and Avalon (I think also is based in USA but produced in China) were U.S. companies and these devices are classified under the "U.S. Bureau of Industry and Security export control", so they can simply refuse sale by your country of origin.

Q: Will the finished products ship from China?
yes

China also has this type of control, although it may ASIC not be listed.

http://www.kslaw.com/Library/publication/China's%20Export%20Controls%20and%20Encryption%20Regulations.pdf
legendary
Activity: 966
October 08, 2012, 05:30:58 PM

Q: Will the finished products ship from China?
yes
legendary
Activity: 1022
October 08, 2012, 05:12:21 PM

Why??

Also keep in mind that it is relatively easy to get a graphics card in much of the world, but acquire a system ASIC is very different, especially if you do not live in USA.

You are forced to buy from abroad, adding paperwork, waiting times and tariffs (very big in some cases).

Although jalapenos and single SC look cheap, with the rise of difficulty, maybe not be more efficient than the same investment in GPU today.

Edit:
13 years old gamers can't mining any more.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
Decent Programmer to boot!
October 08, 2012, 04:55:23 PM

Why??

legendary
October 08, 2012, 04:46:42 PM

Why??

Activity: 358
October 08, 2012, 04:03:42 PM
donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
October 08, 2012, 01:20:31 PM
Is it 100% that higher difficulty = higher $ price? I agree that higher price = higher difficulty!

100%? No. But I do think there is pretty strong evidence that new miners hoard/speculate on coin, thus decreasing supply. When I first got my set of GPUs the price of BTC was $14 and rising. It hit $30, or an ROI of around/under one month on my GPUs, but I still wasn't selling. I wasn't paying attention to my ROI and I should have known better.

I have to imagine that if demand stays the same and supply from miners is decreasing because new miners typically hoard, the price will, in fact, increase. I've said this before, but a drug addict that wants $100 worth of Silk Road goods doesn't care if he gets 10 BTC at $10 or 1 BTC for $100. (or 100 BTC for $1, for that matter). It seems natural that the price will increase because new ASIC miners won't sell. Shorter supply means higher prices. At least, for a while.
Activity: 725
Merit: 500
October 08, 2012, 12:39:24 PM
At present prices, pre reward-halving, I make ~$4.18/day. After reward halving, I will make ~$1.37/day with just my GPUs. The price would have to dip under $10/coin after the reward halving and stay there in order for me to lose money. As others have stated, GPU mining does keep a room warm. It also helps provide a steady drone/hum so I can sleep at night.

I also have plenty of FPGA and I'll keep those going for quite some time, too.

Like molecular, I have suspicions that the block-reward halving seems to have not been priced in for most of the people purchasing ASIC at this point. They would have been better served purchasing coin, letting ASIC mature, letting the block reward halving kick in, then selling coin to buy stable and reduced-price ASIC miners.

I think the first wave ASIC miners are going to get screwed as the price spikes cause of exponential difficulty increases, then falls as the older miners start collecting on our mine-and-hold strategy by selling our piled coin. I'm pretty sure the global fiat economic atmosphere post-election is going to be unfavorable to everyone, and the ASIC manufacturers are going to be lowering prices no matter what to compensate for this. With a low price/difficulty ratio, it might be like the August 2011 GPU scramble, where Europeans and Californians sold their GPUs in masses. Only this time it'll be all the ASIC miners trying to compete for lower prices with the companies that originally sold them the devices.

Just a guess, I obviously could be wrong, but this is my assessment from the GPU craziness of last spring/summer.

Is it 100% that higher difficulty = higher $ price? I agree that higher price = higher difficulty!

I'm thinking about voltmodding my FPGAs to squeze some extra juice out of them before ASIC hits. Just reasoning if that would make sense: now, after reward halvation or not at all... basically I'm lazy/scared to mess the chips up...

About fiat, isn't that why we all have bitcoins? So isn't that a null game: deflation in fiat + scared of fiat implosion = prices are stable for everything concerning bitcoin? Just like gold?
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
October 08, 2012, 08:56:46 AM
Difficulty is not going to drop at all.  We've seen in the past that most miners keep mining even after it's no longer profitable in the hopes it's just a glitch.  Add in the fact that on ASIC minirig coming online will more than make up for 300 5GH/s GPU miners going offline, we're not going to see anything drop.
It's currently at -3.4% since the last change ...
Pages:
Jump to: