Pages:
Author

Topic: Difficulty going down - page 3. (Read 5578 times)

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010
November 29, 2014, 10:57:55 PM
Are we feeling the pain yet?  Cheesy

This is what I think; its total speculation.  Miners have been holding a significant portion of their supply hoping for an upwards bounce.  But those coins eventually needed to be sold to make ends meet.  Essentially you can think of it like these miners were leveraged long (borrowing $ from their own bills that must be paid).  As the price slowly dropped, we approached the line where certain miners had to sell to make sure they could keep the electricity on.  This became a cascading effect, driving a rapid price descent.

I'm waiting for the hash rate graph to flinch.  This will indicate that some miners are shutting off units, which will tell me that we are approaching the marginal cost to produce a coin.  Shutting off miners will reduce supply, and likely indicate a bottom since utility (as measured by metrics like transactions to new addresses) is still increasing.

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
November 29, 2014, 05:21:36 PM
it won't happen.

hypoteticaly speaking ... what if it does happen ?

I'll mine more coins and that is about it.
of course, i could be wrong it could happen.
And... it would be nice to see a few drops in difficulty, because it would mean that all those ponzi 'cloud mining' operations will have to pay more to their victims.
a few serious drops in difficulty and we will soon see which of those are legitimately mining and which are only in it to run with the bulk of profit and disappear into oblivion.
I don't think we will ever see any serious drops in difficulty as there are too many miners who are just barely unprofitable so when the difficulty would drop the owners of such miners would bring them back online.

The only exception to this would be when we get much closer to when the block subsidy halves again
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
November 26, 2014, 11:05:17 AM
it won't happen.

of course, i could be wrong it could happen.
And... it would be nice to see a few drops in difficulty, because it would mean that all those ponzi 'cloud mining' operations will have to pay more to their victims.
a few serious drops in difficulty and we will soon see which of those are legitimately mining and which are only in it to run with the bulk of profit and disappear into oblivion.
legendary
Activity: 1722
November 26, 2014, 11:02:37 AM
it won't happen.

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
November 25, 2014, 09:58:15 PM
What it means is that we can finally find our price bottom.  That doesn't happen until difficulty tapers and the inefficient miners are flushed out.
Activity: 924
November 25, 2014, 09:42:59 PM
This is an interesting, and to a certain extent even scary, thing to happen! This hasn't happened for almost 2 years now. But it is essentially due to the price going down and no next-generation hardware coming online at the moment. The difficulty, like Bitcoin in general, is self-regulating, so there shouldn't be anything too bad coming out of this!
The difficulty actually went down twice in late 2013 (I believe it was around the time the price had crashed).

It would however be the first time it declined in 2014.

I would say a difficulty decline would certainly be good for all the miners, especially the cloud mased miners
Activity: 378
FURring bitcoin up since 1762
November 22, 2014, 10:09:05 AM
This is an interesting, and to a certain extent even scary, thing to happen! This hasn't happened for almost 2 years now. But it is essentially due to the price going down and no next-generation hardware coming online at the moment. The difficulty, like Bitcoin in general, is self-regulating, so there shouldn't be anything too bad coming out of this!

no it's not the first time in 2 years for difficulty to drop to a minus in the first few days of a new difficulty. it happened in october and i very much doubt that we will see a drop in difficulty this turn. but hey, carry on with your wankfest if that's what thrills you.

I gotta ask... how is this a 'wankfest'Huh But to elaborate: If the projected difficulty goes down after an adjustment, it doesn't mean anything for the actual difficulty that is in place. It's just a projection. So yeah, the difficulty hasn't gone down a single time since at least April 30 2013: https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty (too lazy to find a longer history, but you get the gist, I hope)
November 22, 2014, 10:05:03 AM

no it's not the first time in 2 years for difficulty to drop to a minus in the first few days of a new difficulty. it happened in october and i very much doubt that we will see a drop in difficulty this turn. but hey, carry on with your wankfest if that's what thrills you.
Activity: 378
FURring bitcoin up since 1762
November 22, 2014, 10:00:20 AM
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024
November 22, 2014, 08:19:42 AM
Difficulty going down means that we're approaching miners' break even point.

It won't be profitable for most miners to generate bitcoin below the current price level. So I think it will support price in the mid- / longterm.

But maybe the price will head lower temporarily due to the winter heating season... Cheesy

ya.ya.yo!
November 22, 2014, 05:01:06 AM
Is it time to fire up my Jalapeno again guys?  Smiley

i've got everything running except my garden blades, for winter.
don't care about difficulty or price, all I want is a warm house, the btc dust is a bonus  Grin
POM
Activity: 547
Merit: 254
November 21, 2014, 07:10:33 PM
Is it time to fire up my Jalapeno again guys?  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1176
November 21, 2014, 07:01:46 PM
it won't happen.

It's just another indication of the bear market, which started at the beginning of 2014 and in all likelihood will go on for another 11-12 months.

Why would the bear market take another year? I don't think any bear market lasted almost 2 full years in bitcoin, why would this one?

So he can buy in lower of course.
Activity: 351
Merit: 252
November 21, 2014, 02:06:01 PM

It just means it finally balanced out

bitcoin balancing out ? i dont think so sir.

maybe this is a small window of relaxation in the bitcoin network.  

but balancing out ? come on , this is bitcoin you are talking about .  volatilily is its middle name.

balance would be something highly desired but this is only a mirage...

it will either plumet to the ground in price and difficulty or skyrocket to the moon in price and difficulty.
Activity: 336
November 21, 2014, 02:00:02 PM
It's just another indication of the bear market, which started at the beginning of 2014 and in all likelihood will go on for another 11-12 months.

Why would the bear market take another year? I don't think any bear market lasted almost 2 full years in bitcoin, why would this one?

Basically, the bigger the bubble of the bull market, the longer it takes for the bear market to return to the fair value price.

And by bigger you mean exactly what? The biggest bubble so far was in 2011, when the price grown about 30x in a couple of months and retracted to 2x in a year. That last one was only 12x and retracted to 3x in a year, so it should've been over by now.

I guess it just never repeats any patterns. The bull of 2013 was a run of 15x which retracted to 4x in half a year, so it is not at all predictable.

Not the relative price rise, but the absolute price rise has been massive in 2013, this takes time to purge and shake out weak hands.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
November 21, 2014, 01:56:47 PM
it won't happen.

It just means it finally balanced out
It's been a giant rollercoaster for quite some time
Seeing it in a normal range is normal for most cases  Grin

It's just were used to hyper growth of difficulty for miners it means stable ROI lol.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010
Borsche
November 21, 2014, 01:54:23 PM

Basically, the bigger the bubble of the bull market, the longer it takes for the bear market to return to the fair value price.

And by bigger you mean exactly what? The biggest bubble so far was in 2011, when the price grown about 30x in a couple of months and retracted to 2x in a year. That last one was only 12x and retracted to 3x in a year, so it should've been over by now.

I guess it just never repeats any patterns. The bull of 2013 was a run of 15x which retracted to 4x in half a year, so it is not at all predictable.
Activity: 336
November 21, 2014, 01:49:19 PM

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005
November 21, 2014, 01:46:48 PM
it won't happen.

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
November 21, 2014, 11:19:35 AM
hmm so the price is droping , difficulty is droping. all this means nothing for the future of bitcoin? people turning off their miners , people losing faith in the "bitcoin to the moon " dream . all this means nothing ?
it has hapened before and it looks like this is going to happen again. this time the effects might be more severe.
the estimate difficulty drop this morning was 1.07 % and now is at 1.31 %. now i dont see where that recovery is . to me the dificulty is sliding down as time passes.

Difficulty might drop 50% if BTC goes to $100-150. That size difficulty drop was what marked Nov 2011 bottom.
History rhymes?
Pages:
Jump to: