Pages:
Author

Topic: Disentanglement Of Coins In Event of 2 Chains - page 2. (Read 2219 times)

Activity: 277
Merit: 253
You need an input that is invalid on one of the chains in order to safely spend on the other chain.

This could be a coin base mining reward specific to a chain (or children of it).

Also, you might manage to get a transaction to verify in one chain, then "double spend" (not really since its a different chain) those same coins to a different address on the other chain. Once they are confirmed to different addresses in each chain, they would be separate. This method is more complicated, but may be made easier due to different block sizes (get a low priority transaction confirmed in a large block size chain, then rebroadcast it with a high fee to a miner on a small block size chain). You could keep trying (sending coins to yourself so there is no risk) until you finally manage to get them separated.

I don't know of any other methods.

Hmm, thats because transactions or inputs/outputs don't reference a block hash, right?

If they somehow referenced a block a node could validate that the block exists on the chain it sees.

Would that be possible as a change? It would require a softfork I think.

Moving coins from one address to another, for each block, hoping to separate them could be a very long process. Especially since for a few weeks after the fork the block-size of XT is likely to still be mostly below 1 mb.

There is no way to craft a transaction to get it accepted on one chain but not the other?

It seems separating the coins is actually very difficult to accomplish. Can anybody think of some other mothod?
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010
You need an input that is invalid on one of the chains in order to safely spend on the other chain.

This could be a coin base mining reward specific to a chain (or children of it).

Also, you might manage to get a transaction to verify in one chain, then "double spend" (not really since its a different chain) those same coins to a different address on the other chain. Once they are confirmed to different addresses in each chain, they would be separate. This method is more complicated, but may be made easier due to different block sizes (get a low priority transaction confirmed in a large block size chain, then rebroadcast it with a high fee to a miner on a small block size chain). You could keep trying (sending coins to yourself so there is no risk) until you finally manage to get them separated.

I don't know of any other methods.
Activity: 277
Merit: 253
So in a hypothetical scenario of XT Forking and Bitcoin surviving, we have two separate chains and two eco-systems.

I'm trying to understand what would the implications be for a typical user with some bitcoins on a full node  and some on a SPV wallet.

If he makes a transaction on any full client (XT or Bitcoin), that transaction will be valid on both chains right?

After the transaction(s) gets accepted in a block for each chain, the XT and original-Bitcoin coins are now 'separate'?

By separate I mean that such a user can send coins using an original-Bitcoin full client and that will not move the coins on the XT chain (and vice versa)?

They are not separate before that first transaction?

Now how would this work for coins on a SPV wallet? How would a user separate his coins then?

cheers for help

Pages:
Jump to: