Pages:
Author

Topic: DIY Seed Storage on a soda can - page 2. (Read 458 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 1298
Cashback 15%
March 19, 2024, 06:23:19 AM
Is BitCan's glyph system a widely recognized standard?
No. I have never seen a similar system before.

As a matter of fact this glyph system is nothing more than 11 segments cipher that allows to encrypt 3 nibble word. My quick search resulted in two  types of such systems already used in display elements:

As to the use for SEED encryption. In my view, it would be a potential point of failure  for those   who decide to use such system  for storing their SEED phrases,  words fail me. My firm confidence is that SEED  must be stored  with an unambiguous clarity.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1248
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
March 19, 2024, 02:06:39 AM
I know. I mention that in my pros and cons section. You can use the glyphs to make backups on other materials.
Aluminum is characterized by ease of formation, so it is easy to encoding using glyphs, but replacing it with any other metal will lead to a more difficult result, unless the shapes are to be printed, and here the problem of trust in a third party will arise.

You can also write it using the (binaries), for example using the Washers method  just by alternating two material types of washers (FE. copper and steel), so you will need 11 washer for each word. And it is really interesting especially for this case as for its advantage of giving a very strong and resistant alternative within everyone's reach !!

I do not remember that there is a metal that has the same properties as aluminum and can withstand high temperatures.

Gold do !  Grin Grin Grin

Here's the word " Access " F.E. :

Activity: 406
Merit: 443
March 18, 2024, 09:06:48 PM
I know. I mention that in my pros and cons section. You can use the glyphs to make backups on other materials.
Aluminum is characterized by ease of formation, so it is easy to encoding using glyphs, but replacing it with any other metal will lead to a more difficult result, unless the shapes are to be printed, and here the problem of trust in a third party will arise.

I do not remember that there is a metal that has the same properties as aluminum and can withstand high temperatures.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
March 18, 2024, 12:12:33 PM
Is BitCan's glyph system a widely recognized standard?
No. I have never seen a similar system before.

For example, if something happens to us, will anyone else be able to figure out what this is all about?
All of us have a responsibility to teach our heirs and loved-ones how to access and what to do with backups. That doesn't change now with the introduction of a glyphs backup system. Someone who has never seen a 12/24 seed recovery word would have no idea what they are looking at, let alone glyphs.

Because glyphs represent whole words, what happens if we lose even a single element? For example, one punch didn't go all the way through, or corrosion may only eat away a small part of it...
You shouldn't lose any of the elements (the lines). You need the correct structure to decode the word. You should already have at least one paper backup somewhere. It's from that backup that you set up the glyphs recovery system.

It is good, but choosing aluminum for storing seeds is not good, especially since it is susceptible to corrosion, compared to stainless steel, which is less susceptible to deformation or bending and tolerates heat well.
Activity: 406
Merit: 443
March 17, 2024, 05:49:10 PM
It is good, but choosing aluminum for storing seeds is not good, especially since it is susceptible to corrosion, compared to stainless steel, which is less susceptible to deformation or bending and tolerates heat well.

It will be more difficult to decrypt the code in recovery if the slightest distortion occurs, as encoding the word using a single code makes any distortion occur in a row or column, leading to the loss of 3 words and a longer time for brute force.

One mistake will increase the number of available options. If there were two rows for each word, it would be better.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
March 17, 2024, 03:08:05 PM
I like it, it's a nice and handy way to store the seed on metal.
And even if the "alphabet" is not widely known, it's easy to keep it... pretty much everywhere at hand, even in cloud, since it's public information.

Some warnings still apply: it's not a standard method and you may forget or, even worse, if you're gone suddenly, your heirs will not know what those strange glyphs are and may just throw away "that junk". Keep in mind I talk here about decades.
Activity: 994
Merit: 137
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
March 17, 2024, 06:46:26 AM
What's interesting here isn't the material used to store the seed but the type of encoding using glyphs.

I agree, I think this is the most interesting part because we can use the same method on a variety of materials and processes (writing, scratching, punching...).

But, I do have a couple of concerns...

Is BitCan's glyph system a widely recognized standard? For example, if something happens to us, will anyone else be able to figure out what this is all about?

Because glyphs represent whole words, what happens if we lose even a single element? For example, one punch didn't go all the way through, or corrosion may only eat away a small part of it...

Backups using the first four letters of each word might be a safer option. Even if we lose a single letter, we'll still be able to decode words with high probability.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
March 17, 2024, 05:40:37 AM
We have heard of storing seeds on paper and metal and now there is a new method to do it on soda cans. Grin
The company BitCan has released its solution for a DIY Bitcoin Seed Storage.

What's interesting here isn't the material used to store the seed but the type of encoding using glyphs.

What you need to create your seed

• A soda can
  • A flat-head screwdriver
  • A pen
  • A piece of paper
  • A printer to print out the template

BitCan has created a template that anyone can print, and it looks like this:

After you print the template, you can translate your seed words into glyphs. You should already have a securely generated seed. Each word from the wordlist has its unique pattern, which you can see on the website. Here is an example:

Setup Process

• Using the table with the glyphs, draw your seed words on the printed template.
  • Stick the filled-out template on a flattened soda can.
  • Take a screwdriver and etch the glyphs into the can. Use a light hammer if necessary.
  • Double-check if everything is correct, and find a place to store the metal backup.

Here are a few pictures of how it could look:

Decoding Instructions

• BitCan recommends writing down all glyphs on a piece of paper. Better yet, use the provided template.
  • Look at the bottom square of each glyph first to identify which starting letter the symbol belongs to.
  • After that, identify the upper square to find the correct word.
  • An alternative is using binary search to go through the word list.

Pros

1. It's inconspicuous. You wouldn't know what it is even if you saw it somewhere. Even those familiar with seed phrases wouldn't know what they are looking at unless they know about this seed storage method.
2. It's cheap/free. It requires zero investment, assuming you own an aluminum can, a pen, a screwdriver, a piece of paper, and a printer.
3. Easy to hide because it's thin and small.
4. Can be hidden in plain sight. If you are interested in ancient civilizations and have items or artifacts in your home, you could hide the plate there and make it seem like they are symbols from ancient history.
5. It provides protection against water and moisture.
6. You can use the glyphs system to make seed backups on better-quality materials than aluminum soda cans!

Cons 

1. It won't protect you against heat from a house fire.
2. Aluminum is more prone to corrosion than other more durable metals.
3. The encoding and especially the decoding process is time-consuming.
4. The possibility of making a mistake is greater than when backing up common seed words.   

Source:
https://bitcan.world/
Pages:
Jump to: