Pages:
Author

Topic: Do not post SSNs, etc. - page 2. (Read 2225 times)

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
April 21, 2015, 10:11:11 PM
Edit: Is it just me, or does it seem that Theymos/this forum is getting more attention from authorities recently?

Honestly can't say I'm surprised, given his anarcho-capitalist learnings. A lot of bad shit has gone down on these forums, and Theymos has arrogantly shirked his responsibility at being a good steward of this community, IMO.

Lost all respect for him during the BFL 65nm shit-storm.

vip
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145
April 21, 2015, 10:03:25 PM
I mean, this has always sort of been a policy, just probably due to recent events its worth reminding everyone. The difference between Doxing someone, and posting information such as a SSN, is that information gathered in a Dox is public info. If you go through phone books, Google, etc and find out info about someone, the fact that it was already out there and available means its not private. In that case you are just putting a compliation of info together. SSNs/Credit Card info, etc is not something you are going to find in any public record, and it can be assumed that it was gathered unlawfully.

In this case the the SSN was retrieved from a public court document. By your definition that would be fine, while it isn't.

There is certain information that cannot be posted (regardless on how it was obtained).

The image above may or may not have embedded in it dozens of SSN of members of this forum.

If the above practice doesn't violate the new policy, does converting a person's SSN via quater-imaginary base and posting such a violation?

311030110303210302103011020010302 is my SSN, and I could do the exact same thing for anybody else's, but would somebody be breaking policy is if they penned the following: Bruno Kucinskas and 311030110303210302103011020010302 are synonymous. It'll be left to the reading to decode it if they have the key, but once such practice becomes the norm in relaying this particular vital, most all will know how, and have the means readily available to decipher the SSN. Then, this practice would be halted, whereupon another practice would be put in place. At this point, we're fighting a system within a system that was designed to communicate to others in the world how to fight the fiat system via a free monetary system - Bitcoin.

That said, am I know breaking the new policy via penning 65j00ye2 of which is Josh Zerlan's SSN encoded but I'm the only one with the key to unlock it but may sell the key if requested? Clearly, I didn't post JZ's SSN nor am I selling it, but I am selling the key used to convert the SSN for only $100. The key can be used to convert any series of letters and/or numbers.
Activity: 764
Merit: 500
I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint
April 21, 2015, 09:20:14 PM
I mean, this has always sort of been a policy, just probably due to recent events its worth reminding everyone. The difference between Doxing someone, and posting information such as a SSN, is that information gathered in a Dox is public info. If you go through phone books, Google, etc and find out info about someone, the fact that it was already out there and available means its not private. In that case you are just putting a compliation of info together. SSNs/Credit Card info, etc is not something you are going to find in any public record, and it can be assumed that it was gathered unlawfully.

In this case the the SSN was retrieved from a public court document. By your definition that would be fine, while it isn't.

There is certain information that cannot be posted (regardless on how it was obtained).

Edit: Is it just me, or does it seem that Theymos/this forum is getting more attention from authorities recently?
vip
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145
April 21, 2015, 08:32:41 PM
Any particular reason for this sudden announcement? Is this related to the BFL subponea?

For legal reasons, any sort of secret ID code/number that is used by the insecure legacy government/banking systems is banned from bitcointalk.org.

This includes, for example:
- US social security numbers
- Non-US government ID numbers that can cause security problems when released
- Credit card numbers

Exceptions might possibly be made if this info is absolutely essential to a scam investigation or it's very certain that you're posting secret ID codes that belong to you.

Yes. This new policy stems from BFL, an entity that loathes BCT. And, Josh Zerlan has a bullshit lawsuit against me.

So, we can no longer penned a person's SSN, i.e., 123-45-6789. But, can we juxtapose the numbers, e.g., 124-35-9867 or 123-45-6798, or is the latter too close to the original, whereas the former may be okay? And, if that's the case, exactly how and what can or can't the numbers be juxtapose so to not get in trouble? Who will be policing the SSN policy? Can we post SSN of dead people unrelated to Bitcoin? What if that person has kin folk still living that's into Bitcoin?

What if a legal document is released pertaining to some Bitcoin scam, are we allowed to post its likeness if such has a SSN on it? What if said document has the word Alzujii on it but said word offends a certain group of Bitcoiners, should that too not be shared on this forum? BTW, I made the word Alzujii up for demonstration purposes, so apologies to anybody I may have offended.

Josh Zerlan is dragging my ass to court because I posted an image of his master bathroom gleaned from the internet that was placed here long before he purchased the home its in via bitcoins. I posted the image ONCE back in December, whereupon Josh commented about it. Fast forward to April 1st of this year, he presented the image to a judge as proof that I am planning on kidnapping his wife. Take about being fucked in the head, this Zerlan asshole has lost all his fuckin' marbles.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
April 21, 2015, 06:14:40 PM
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
April 21, 2015, 06:01:11 PM
Any particular reason for this sudden announcement?

Exceptions might possibly be made if this info is absolutely essential to a scam investigation or it's very certain that you're posting secret ID codes that belong to you.

Same question although I always assumed that was basic internet management
Unless someone was trying to sell false docs...
Activity: 686
Merit: 255
April 21, 2015, 05:58:26 PM
Have you recently received any legal notice regarding this ?
Activity: 639
Merit: 500
April 21, 2015, 05:43:47 PM
Any particular reason for this sudden announcement? Is this related to the BFL subponea?

For legal reasons, any sort of secret ID code/number that is used by the insecure legacy government/banking systems is banned from bitcointalk.org.

- Credit card numbers

administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
April 21, 2015, 05:37:39 PM

- Credit card numbers

Pages:
Jump to: