Pages:
Author

Topic: Do not take address poisoning as a joke, it is real. - page 2. (Read 228 times)

Activity: 558
Merit: 131
I wont underestimate the ability of anyone in this current world. There are lot of Bitcoin scams and fraudulent activities of which in a common sense we wont think of it to be possible. There is probability that a scammer will be able to generate a similar address like yours. I have encountered this before and i mistakenly sent to that address. I waited and taught it was my network issue that i have seen the coin. Before i traced and saw it was a scam attack. The remedy to this, is to always get the address directly from the exchange or wallet whenever you want to make a transaction.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 3597
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
What is the probability that hackers will obtain a similar address with the first 6 letters and the last 6 letters? If not impossible, it is minimal. Therefore, verifying these letters will not cost you a lot of time, while it will save you, especially since such attacks require hackers to have good computing capabilities to be able to produce the last two Similar letters.
Activity: 672
Merit: 855
Just as Ever_young once said that clipboard virus also has some effect on crypto loss. I think some of the users who where scammed may be as a result of this clipboard virus that one sends crypto to a different wallet thinking that its there own address.

Yeah it looks the same but there is difference in the two attacks this address poisoning is actual slightly different and easier for the scammers to attempt. The clipboard virus is harder because the scammers needs to find a way to get the malware into your device and then it changes the address when you copy it, this common with window OS and you they OS are not usually affected. But for dust attack or say address poisoning the attacker just looks at your address and create a similar address like it with similar beginning and ending and then uses this address to send you dust coins and when next you try to copy address you will actually mistakenly copy the hackers address from the transaction history without know since it’s similar. In this attack you’re actually copying and pasting the right address but it is that of that an hacker.

Also dust attack can be use to monitor that address it is sent to even if you don’t make mistake to sent back to it which makes you to lose your privacy
Activity: 66
Merit: 5
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
Thanks for the information it's very necessary for users to know about this because it occurs without there notice.

Just as Ever_young once said that clipboard virus also has some effect on crypto loss. I think some of the users who where scammed may be as a result of this clipboard virus that one sends crypto to a different wallet thinking that its there own address.
Activity: 1722
Merit: 801
What are Address Poisoning Scams?
Metamask: Address Poisoning Scam

It is not limited to web3, smart contracts but with Bitcoin and Bitcoin addresses too. With Bitcoin, it is called as Dust attack.
Dust Attack, what it is, why it is dangerous and how to prevent falling to it

People fall to this type of attack because they use one wallet for many tasks. They must do it more safely, like a main wallet is not used for exploration of new platforms, new projects. Explorations must be done with a new wallet and small one that will not cause them big issue with address poisoning scam attack or dust attack.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1094
We have been talking about address poisoning hack on this forum. It happens in a way hacks create an address similar to your altcoin address. It has happened to me when I was sending coins like USDT and some other altcoins which are not stable coins. But I understand about it and I easily avoided copying the address I sent coin to, instead I go to the receiving wallet or exchange to copy the address. You can know the hacker's address by noticing small amount not worth up to $1 sent to you with the hacker's address. If you check the address, it will be similar to your address but not you address. Avoid sending coins to the address. I do not know if it happens with bitcoin too, but I have not seen it while sending bitcoin. But if sending any coins, check the address you are sending to, make sure it is the same as the address you are sending to.

Address poisoning is when an attacker creates a similar-looking address to the one a targeted victim regularly sends funds to — usually using the same beginning and ending characters.

A crypto hacker specializing in “address poisoning attacks" has managed to steal over $2 million from Safe Wallet users alone in the past week, with its total victim count now reaching 21.

On Dec. 3, Web3 scam detection platform Scam Sniffer reported that around ten Safe Wallets lost $2.05 million to address poisoning attacks since Nov. 26.

According to Dune Analytics data compiled by Scam Sniffer, the same attacker has reportedly stolen at least $5 million from around 21 victims in the past four months.

Scam Sniffer, reported that one of the victims even held $10 million in crypto in a Safe Wallet, but "luckily" only lost $400,000 of it.
Pages:
Jump to: