Pages:
Author

Topic: Do you really believe gox has lost 740,000 BTC and has only 2,000 left? - page 4. (Read 8186 times)

Activity: 339
Merit: 250
FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE
Activity: 682
Merit: 500
Just dropping this here:

Brendan Support, Feb 15 08:37:

Dear Valued Customer,

Sorry for the inconvenience that have may caused. Our technical team is working hard to fix this issue and it will be fixed as soon as possible. All your BTC's are very safe and secured. Once the issue is fixed you will be able to initiate the BTC withdrawal and there is no time measure at this moment, we will be able to provide a clear picture soon.

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience caused, and thank you for your kind support and considerations.

Best regards,

MtGox Team
https://www.mtgox.com
Activity: 195
Merit: 102
DiMS dev team
"The cold storage has been wiped out due to a leak in the hot wallet."

BULLSHIT ALERT

That made me wonder too.

How do paper wallets get wiped out unless their private keys are exposed to the internet?

I thought "cold storage" meant creating offline wallets.
they experienced security issue recently, at least they claim so
legendary
Activity: 4032
Merit: 4562
You're never too old to think young.
"The cold storage has been wiped out due to a leak in the hot wallet."

BULLSHIT ALERT

That made me wonder too.

How do paper wallets get wiped out unless their private keys are exposed to the internet?

I thought "cold storage" meant creating offline wallets.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
When there is an official look into this, legal or journalistic, we are very apt here in this forum to correct anything overlooked by authorities or reporters.

A German university do mass tracings of transactions (for research purposes) and there are now forensic tools to backtrack BTC's.

We will get to the bottom of the "whom stole which coins" part!

Exactly my thought.

Just read an article, not even completely incompetently written in general, on Forbes that more or less believes the "740k coin leak through hot wallet" bullshit explanation, and I got really depressed for a second.

But we're not idiots. Those bullshit excuses didn't work for pirate40, nor sheep marketplace owners, nor anyone else. And with Mark, at least his identity is know -- there's no way he's simply going to get away and sip margaritas on his own private island while his company still has liabilities in the range of a few hundred million.

I fully expect that the current events will spawn the, so far, biggest lawsuit in Bitcoin history.
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
felonious vagrancy, personified
This sounds really ridiculous. 2000BTC could not even cover 10% of the ask wall on gox. How could Mark not realize it far before the cold wallet becomes 0?

Indeed, the document is a hoax.

The fact that mtgox is dead meat does, however, appear to be true.
Activity: 546
hm
At this point 744,408 BTC are missing due to malleability-related theft which went unnoticed for several years.

Activity: 195
Merit: 102
DiMS dev team
This is going to be one shitty week...

no, the shitty weeks are behind us... Smiley

Exactly, I actually feel a lot of relieve right now that MtGox is gone. I wish they could have fixed their shit instead but at least we have clarity now and the market can find a new equilibrium and move on.

Yeah but I feel bad for the people that lost their money....there are a lot of them you know.

After all the warning signs they got since June 2013, I feel they have had plenty of time to get out of there. So I really can't feel a whole lot of sympathy for them to be honest. But I don't think those still with funds stuck in Gox have lost it all, I've read and heard Gox got bought out and there are bigger parties involved now and they will insure that everyone will get back what they are owed.

I am one of those happy suckers
I will most probably lose about 25BTC
Why I didn't get out on time?
Well I used two exchanges one among those was gox. Although I knew that they have some  problems, it was hard to imagine that company  with longest experience in this business and operating on  millions can simply disappear over night. Every time I  was  withdrawing money from them  I had to wait so I was used to that as well. I was patient and forgiving.
To be specific I have made some  withdrawals in november,   first and second one arrived  at begin of  january , after that nothing.  I  started to loose my patience and  finally I ordered to cancel my cash transfers one  by one , than I started to buy  bitcoin and withdraw them. This I started few days before they stop process withdrawals. As the result  I get some of my bitcoins out, but  more then  half  stuck  there
legendary
Activity: 889
Merit: 1013
I find it very hard to believe that a group of people could fail to notice that they were bleeding that many coins from cold storage. That said, not my problem, got my coins out of gox months ago.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

where did you get this picture? this guy looks like mark! i think it's really him! oh..ok no worries we are saved!
Activity: 658
Merit: 504
anu
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

banks ?
governments Huh

If its governments or banks, great. If they made such a mistake, we'll be able to prove it. We'll put them in a pillory in a burning pit and nail Nietzsches eternal truth to their forehead:
Aber der Staat lügt in allen Zungen des Guten und Bösen; und was er auch redet, er lügt – und was er auch hat, gestohlen hat er's.
Falsch ist Alles an ihm; mit gestohlenen Zähnen beisst er, der Bissige. Falsch sind selbst seine Eingeweide.
legendary
Activity: 1246
These 'thieves' have probably silently been profiting from this MtGox exploit for years now, and I guess they wanted to keep it silent. No reason to think there are governments behind this, the incentives are all there for anyone to exploit this loophole once they find it and keep it silent as long as possible.
Activity: 644
One Token to Move Anything Anywhere
The document is utterly, without doubt, fake!

No clue about the real balances though.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106
I don't understand why any hacker/scammer would attack gox to death like this. Their stash of stolen coins are all of a sudden worth a whole lot less! It's like when ghash.io was nearing 50% hash rate and everyone started worrying what they would do. Of course theyy would not attack their own primary source of income! Why would anyone that makes money from Bitcoin sabotage the network like that!?

right question: coi bono ?

banks ?
governments Huh
alts ?
payment processors ?
goldbugs ?

Activity: 682
I don't understand why any hacker/scammer would attack gox to death like this. Their stash of stolen coins are all of a sudden worth a whole lot less! It's like when ghash.io was nearing 50% hash rate and everyone started worrying what they would do. Of course theyy would not attack their own primary source of income! Why would anyone that makes money from Bitcoin sabotage the network like that!?
legendary

Exactly, I actually feel a lot of relieve right now that MtGox is gone. I wish they could have fixed their shit instead but at least we have clarity now and the market can find a new equilibrium and move on.

Yeah but I feel bad for the people that lost their money....there are a lot of them you know.

After all the warning signs they got since June 2013, I feel they have had plenty of time to get out of there. So I really can't feel a whole lot of sympathy for them to be honest. But I don't think those still with funds stuck in Gox have lost it all, I've read and heard Gox got bought out and there are bigger parties involved now and they will insure that everyone will get back what they are owed.
Activity: 644
Merit: 250

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1615
This doc looks very fishy to me.

-Written from an outsider's perspective, but no mention of who wrote it, or for what purpose. Could just as well never have been used internally, but by a third party planning a takeover, assuming they had access to Gox data.

-Also arguing against internal Gox use is the writer saying Gox "deserves" to go bankrupt, general brutality.

-The claim of the cold wallets getting entirely wiped due to coin leakage seems very hard to credit. They would have had to manually empty the wallets, they're cold after all. I don't see how you accidentally lose *everything* in your cold wallet without realizing, when someone is manually transferring funds from said wallet.

-The CEO's apology draft - temp graphic of a scapegoat on the gox mountain? Really?
Pages:
Jump to: