Pages:
Author

Topic: Do you think all ICO are securities ? - page 3. (Read 747 times)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0
April 21, 2018, 12:59:17 AM
Unlike traditional venture capital and stock markets, the ICO market allows everyone and anyone to be involved, noone should be allowed to say you cannot do an ICO or make a cryptocurrency, it is a lot like the pinks sheets market in the way that 90% of them will be bad, except it cannot be regulated ever because of the natural state of the ICO market being for everyone.  However, that doesn't meant now that all ICOs are bad just because it can be compared to the pink sheets market.  The truth is 90% of the ICO market is going to be fake, the point to see is not that ICO market is like pink sheets market and that means the ICO market is bad, the point is that there are still some gems to see in these markets where there is mostly a lot of bad, regulating it won't change that, just like a heavily government regulated pink sheets market does not even change the fact most of the pink sheet markets are scams.  There tons of scams in the stock markets, regulation cannot stop scamming, especially things like banks, which get around regulations and create what can be called legal scams.  Most in the crypto world will be scams but there will always still be some breakthroughs here, and those winners will pay for the losses.

Overall, there will be a higher success rate however by participating in the ICO market because the superior architecture of open source crypto networks and blockchain technology is involved.  Instead of me building some proprietary software in a closed room, when doing an ICO I am trying to build a project and at the same time share my views, beliefs, and insights with all the people out there because I'm trying to build a community around my idea and open source technology that is decentralized and has some incentive to hold the same beliefs as me.  This superior element that sets the ICO economy from securities and stock markets is the hands on community element over time, the fact that anyone and everyone who wants to can participate in the community and contribute to a project improves odds of success.  Yeah it seems anyone who goes out there saying "buy my thing, buy my thing" might just be a scammer, but that shouldn't be something that stops the ICO market from allowing anyone and everyone to get involved.  In every industry there is people who are scammers, regulation will only allow things that are legal scams to exist, that in turn will ultimately allow people to oppress other people more easily, just like what happens in the old and outdated financial world will happen in the crypto world, does stopping some obvious scams through more regulation out weight the benefits of allowing something for everything to exist in a more self-regulated manner?

There are people who have the knowledge and they are a number of individualized people who make big return from the ICO market, ANYONE can make big return from ICO market, unlike in a securities market or stock market where regulations favor the big players and those with the most connection discriminate outsiders, where the people who have the knowledge and make the big return are the ones working for proprietary entities and proprietary ends like banks and hedge funds, that is what will happen if ICO market will become heavily regulated, it will be the opposite of what crypto was built for.  Crypto was built to eliminate the middle men, but regulators will become the new middle men to innovation.  There is still less than 20 million people playing in the ICO market, in the end the market is only worth around $388 billion based on the coin market cap website.  For something that everyone and anyone can participate in this still appears to be very low still, once it becomes even easier to get involved, look at the $8.5 trillion dollars being the height of the dot com boom, there will soon be a compelling argument made that the crypto boom will bring a market cap of over $100 trillion dollars at its peak (with hyperinflation of the USD). After all, this is the new Internet, the unsecured data transport protocol of the old Internet will be replaced entirely by the secure data transport protocol of the blockchain.  Cryptocurrencies, crypto assets and tokens come with along with this to represent a unit of account in these new communities and commons that are being built around the new secure data transport protocol, and so do new business models and market opportunities exist now that interaction and transaction on the Internet will become totally secured. 
Activity: 197
Merit: 100
I don’t get drunk, i get awesome.
April 20, 2018, 12:06:02 AM
Hello guys. i have created this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3332515.new#new
any one whould like to help me out ?  Telegram
Activity: 30
April 17, 2018, 12:11:15 PM
No,not at all. I think that ICOs are building an innovative new market.
Activity: 8
April 17, 2018, 07:45:20 AM
Of course not.
Activity: 26
April 14, 2018, 03:07:44 AM
ICO is certainly not 100% secured and cannot be compared to shares in a company
Activity: 168
April 11, 2018, 11:58:36 AM
That is very dependent on the jurisdictions they are issued in. However, the old thinking a la "I will just add a useless functionality and then I have a utility token" won't please a regulator like the SEC, that's for sure. But also its important to see that not every regulator thinks like SEC.

Midas is an investment app for retail investors on top of the Melon protocol.

The Token Generation Event is planned for end of Q2 2018 and the launched token is an uncertified security under Swiss law. The founders of Midas actually think that tokenized securities are the use-case of the future.

Their view on the topic of tokenized seucrities and what exactly they are launching you can find in this MEDIUM POST
copper member
Activity: 252
Merit: 3
ENCRYBIT — FUTURE OF CRYPTOEXCHANGE
April 11, 2018, 12:23:57 AM
No, not all. You need to carry out a background check, the development team, their roadmap, future goal, market cap, total circulating supply. If “Yes” for all this checklist, you can go ahead and enjoy good returns once token listed on other exchanges.
Activity: 2436
Merit: 324
March 31, 2018, 12:58:31 PM
The very definition of a security means that you own a stake in the company, whereas ICO tokens don't allow you a stake in the company behind the ICO.

They're not shares, they're not securities, bonds or any of the like, they're simply tokens, they're in a new class of investment.
On general or technically speaking cryptocurrencies cant really be considered as securities because as being mentioned securities means you do have a share or bond and as being said crypto tokens doesnt really work on this way.You might holding up a token but doesnt really signify that this would be a security. Some people do insist regarding into this matter but well its their own beliefs as long we do know how crypto works then just let other people do treat on what they are believing.
Activity: 154
March 31, 2018, 11:17:36 AM
No one can say this ICO %100 safe but they are trying to eliminate scammers . If they could succeed everyone wins. There is a some project for this problem. You can invest.
Activity: 31
March 29, 2018, 07:28:15 AM
Centralized regulation on crypto are all doomed to fail.  Centralized regulators and their central governments only try to remain relevant in the ever moving world by attempting to fit cryptocurrencies into their little boxes of control.  Any regulation on crypto needs to be conducted at the protocol level, and not by centralized regulators or the central government which are prone to and will lead to corruption, eventually.  Everyone and everything has a price, however, when decentralizing regulation itself corruption will be economically inviable.
Activity: 392
Merit: 2
March 28, 2018, 06:15:33 AM
Each person thinks, but in my opinion, ico is a kind of investment suitable for everyone. But it takes time and experience...
Activity: 239
Merit: 100
March 27, 2018, 04:41:24 AM
https://www.coindesk.com/no-not-icos-securities/

This article brings to light that all ICO's are Not securities, I personally don't think any of them fit into the SEC square box nicely of how they define one. This is a completely new and different asset class and should be treated as one when it comes to regulation. I find it ironic that there is a Securities forum to chat on here, are we trying to support uncle Sam or take him down with this forum?

Recently i've visited the conference about regulation of ICO's market. So, the speakes have analysed more than 600 projects, so thats why 95% of it has security tokens. Many venture investors don't understand why utility tokens are volatility about 30% per day.
Activity: 1
Activity: 840
Merit: 508
Make winning bets on sports with Sportsbet.io!
March 25, 2018, 03:25:52 PM
The very definition of a security means that you own a stake in the company, whereas ICO tokens don't allow you a stake in the company behind the ICO.

They're not shares, they're not securities, bonds or any of the like, they're simply tokens, they're in a new class of investment.
Activity: 3
March 21, 2018, 07:37:52 PM
I do not think so, if a token is not linked to financial performance and gives no voting rights than it should not be considered as security

Agreed  Grin
copper member
Activity: 158
Merit: 1
March 19, 2018, 01:16:12 PM
I do not think so, if a token is not linked to financial performance and gives no voting rights than it should not be considered as security
Activity: 2926
Merit: 722
March 12, 2018, 06:47:29 PM

This article brings to light that all ICO's are Not securities, I personally don't think any of them fit into the SEC square box nicely of how they define one. This is a completely new and different asset class and should be treated as one when it comes to regulation. I find it ironic that there is a Securities forum to chat on here, are we trying to support uncle Sam or take him down with this forum?

I do not think ICOs are securities. Most of them in my opinion, are just mere investment  which involve risks because you are paying with no products but are hopeful of the project/ICO to be successful to get big gain from your investments. So in order to have less risky investment in ICOs you have to do your own research, the whitepaper, the team, and the company itself.
This is the difference when we do try to compare ICO and traditional securities which ICO don't have product which you can possess on.You might be a shareholder but doesn't guaranteed you out on making money for long term which it will really fall into investment category which is 100% suits in.
Activity: 840
Merit: 252
March 12, 2018, 01:51:36 AM

I do not think ICOs are securities. Most of them in my opinion, are just mere investment  which involve risks because you are paying with no products but are hopeful of the project/ICO to be successful to get big gain from your investments. So in order to have less risky investment in ICOs you have to do your own research, the whitepaper, the team, and the company itself.
Activity: 46
March 06, 2018, 03:32:57 PM
Hi guys, im new to icos but i realized that most of the times i cannot buy as much tokens as i want. I read about this mkk pool https://discord.gg/FHKZGGX yesterday, they organize kind of a pools for pre-sales? Has anyone heard of them? Any experience? Are they trustworthy?
Activity: 19
March 05, 2018, 06:31:29 AM
Some of them are securites some of them are not securities, depending on what you are selling, this regulation classifies ICOs in 3 groups:

https://www.finma.ch/en/~/media/finma/dokumente/dokumentencenter/myfinma/1bewilligung/fintech/wegleitung-ico.pdf?la=en

What I want to know though is that since PayPal accepts now to be the payment processor for ICOs (check this link: https://parkgene.io/parkgene-ico-now-accepting-paypal-payments/)

does this mean that if we want to make an ICO, we do not need to worry about KYC/AML anymore? PayPal takes care of this for us?

PayPal is not sellerfriendly payment processor. I suppose they will have big problems soon.

I have been advised of the following:
1. No you cannot offset the responsibility of KYC/AML to anyone and you are the sole responsible. What can happen is that you can enlist the services of an entity that you trust would do a good job at KYC/AML, but if they fak up then it's your ass. All you can do is chase them back for some of their fees. So you should know what your target audience is and make sure your payment processor has good experience in the countries where they accept payment from.

I agree PayPal is not seller friendly and it is the worst service on this planet and I will not use it nor do I recommend any seller use PayPal for any reason whatsoever. I was just giving an example. I am still looking for a good payment processor that does AML?KYC if you know any.

2. The laws go deep into the substance of the ICO and not the form of ownership of the token to determine whether it is a security or not, and they err on the side of the more conservative interpreation.
Pages:
Jump to: