Pages:
Author

Topic: Do you think Bitcoin is a security, a currency or a commodity? - page 2. (Read 1064 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 100
The endless debate... Do you think Bitcoin is a security, a currency or a commodity? We came up with a few reasons why it could easily classify in any of those categories: https://cryptocoin.news/analysis/is-bitcoin-a-security-a-currency-or-a-commodity-2-18643/

What do you think it is?

I think bitcoin is a currency, but can be traded like commodities in the market exchanges.
Just like USD, a fiat currency, but peoples can use it for trading in forex market too.
For now, bitcoin market volume is not a good as stock market volume. Once bitcoin become global currency, it will have more volume i believe.
Activity: 546
I think we cannot say that bitcoin is security because you are not secured in bitcoin like in other business bitcoin is very risky. But we can say that bitcoin is currency because we can use bitcoin to buy something that we can use in our daily life. And I think the most good description of bitcoin among the three is commodity. We are trade bitcoin to earn. And we exchange it from one product or services. But unlike in natural commodity,in using of bitcoin we will exchange or trade your products or service that you using online transaction so it we can say that bitcoin is a digital commodity.
Activity: 95
Merit: 10
The endless debate... Do you think Bitcoin is a security, a currency or a commodity? We came up with a few reasons why it could easily classify in any of those categories: https://cryptocoin.news/analysis/is-bitcoin-a-security-a-currency-or-a-commodity-2-18643/

What do you think it is?

Depending on the use of the cryptocurrency, Bitcoin can act as a currency, a security or as a commodity. ..lol
Bitcoin has been on the centre-stage of attention after providing people with a mind-boggling return that reached a value of around $20,000 from a humble $900 within a single year in 2017. However, many people still doubt Bitcoin as a true asset, and part of this doubt stems from the fact that Bitcoin has never been categorised as a specific financial instrument ever.

One of the most common doubts about Bitcoin people have is whether Bitcoin is a Currency, a Security or a Commodity? While answering the question is tricky, but as the popular commentary on Marketplace suggests, Bitcoin is all of what could be termed by people depending on how they use it.

Bitcoin is a Currency:
Although the word currency often reminds us of a good-smelling, fresh and psychologically green paper note, with changing times and requirements, many types of digital currencies that do have value but are usually not printed on paper have taken the digital landscape by storm.
Unlike common fiat currency, Bitcoin, however, does not have centralised governing authority, and to everyone’s pleasure, it is also not tied to any country or geography as fiat money usually are. The cryptocurrency is also not generated as and when required, but in fact, a complex mathematical cryptographic technique is required to unlock or ‘mine’ Bitcoin, the total units of which is limited to 21.5 million.
Like all other currencies we usually come across, Bitcoin can also be traded, exchanged and used to buy goods and services. The mechanism of Bitcoin transactions is purely digital in nature, and it is run via a technological ledger known as Blockchain. Therefore, in short, although not a physical currency, Bitcoin is an accepted form of digital currency that can act as an alternative to fiat money provided the transactions are done digitally.

Bitcoin is a Security:
Bitcoin is also a security because it is fungible, a negotiable financial tool that has a monetary value. Bitcoin can be used as a variant of stock, such as in case of ICOs; as a bond provided the governmental bodies accept it as legal, and as an option. Bitcoin does provide a sense of ownership of an asset of a financial promise that can be used to recover a financial value in future. Although, the SEC chairman recently said that Bitcoin is not a Security because it is not secured by a third party, the point to note is that, like stocks, it does provide a promise to pay in future according to the market value, and that is a kind of security for Bitcoin enthusiasts.
Although a bank or a third party do not back the security, it is accepted in the crypto community that the value of Bitcoin will remain available, transparent and exchangeable depending on the market position of the cryptocurrency based on demand.

Bitcoin is a Commodity:
What is a commodity actually? According to Investopedia, “a commodity is a basic good used in commerce that is interchangeable with other commodities of the same type.” Therefore, Bitcoin can be considered as a digital commodity because it is used in commerce in the Crypto-economy, and it is interchangeable with other digital and sometimes fiat currencies. Also, Bitcoin remains the same thing wherever it is mined, and therefore, it can be used as a commodity with the same properties and value anywhere on this earth.
The Idea is Basically in how Bitcoin is used.
While it is clear that Bitcoin can act as a currency, a security or a commodity, the real issue with the classification of the cryptocurrency is that its attributes are often prevalent during its use. Therefore, if Bitcoin is used or treated as a currency, it takes the form of a currency. This is applicable to other forms of financial classifications, such as security and commodity too.
Since the very core idea of Bitcoin when it was created was kept versatile so that it can be used as an asset class mentioned above, the cryptocurrency obtained features that resemble securities and commodities, apart from being a currency. It is just a matter of understanding that Bitcoin can have different attributes that define various financial classes that are usually built around different classifications for currencies, securities, and commodities in case of fiat money.
As the Marketplace commentary suggests, it is not the reason of transactions that makes Bitcoin a currency, commodity or a security, but in fact, it is the use of the cryptocurrency or the user that makes it a member of any defined financial classification. Although, some may doubt the real value of such a versatility that does not make it a true member of any specific financial class, it is a matter of great advantage for all users because it reduces the need for three different ideas, and sums up as a single entity that can serve as a currency, a security, and a commodity at the same time.
Activity: 378

What do you think it is?
Since we don't have any much adoption for bitcoin to be use as currency. I think this will be consider as a digital commodity with bigger volume for the traders. Anyway bitcoin has it all, it can be a currency, commodity or a security. It depends how people use their bitcoin to get their profits. 
Activity: 280
Merit: 0
I think bitcoin is a currency, an investment but unfortunately, we cannot use bitcoin in our real life because bitcoin now is available on the internet. But there is a country that will allow us to use bitcoin to buy something in real life so we can spend the bitcoin to buy our daily needs. I think in the future, we can use bitcoin in our real life but we don't know when it's happening and it depends on each government because they need to make regulations for the cryptocurrency.
Activity: 2520
Merit: 952
Depends on individual. For holders, it is an asset. For traders, it is an commodity and for those who use it for transfers it is a currency.
Activity: 448
For me it is a commodity. Commodity in a sense that you own a piece or the product not physically but virtually. Though, you can still sell it and do some trading with it and gain money from it. And with that it will help you on your daily expenses. I also believe that bitcoin is a  currency because it has value and you can convert it anytime you want just like the real money.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1001
It supposed to be a currency, but since the legality is not too clear and the volatility is very high, there are not too many stores ready to accept Bitcoin as currency, for now it could be more precise to say as a commodity, most the Bitcoin value come from trading value so it's more famous as commodity
Activity: 294
Merit: 1
If I need to choose from this three roles, then today it is a commodity. I can't say it is a currency because of long time and high fees for transactions and volatility of the price. And also it is not security, because everyone can see the transactions.
Activity: 665
Merit: 250

What do you think it is?
according to my knowledge bitcoin is a digital currency that was created to keep up with the development of the blockchain economy of a system by using technological advancements and times and in that system there must be a tool that is crypto currency in my opinion
Activity: 308
Merit: 101
Bitcoin is the currency security as well as the commodity that depends on the use of the Bitcoin owner. If they store Bitcoin it will be secure and if they want to sell Bitcoin it will be a valuable commodity and in the future Bitcoin may become a popular currency that people known.
Activity: 485

What do you think it is?

Bitcoin is a Currency because it can be exchanged for buying good and services. It is a security because it has a monetary value and it is also a commodity because it is used in commerce and can be interchanged with other digital and fiat currencies.
Activity: 47
i think bitcoin is a currency. because many people swap to fiat
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1000
I think Bitcoin is the most proper currency. Now, people can buy almost things except from retail things by Bitcoin. Even in Thailand, people can visit here and pay costs by Bitcoin . Therefore, BItcoin is supposed to be a type of currency because governments also accept it.

Government policies related to bitcoin can vary from place to place. Bitcoin as a currency still has many denials in some countries. Its fluctuation that make bitcoin is hard to be accepted as currency. Here in my place, bitcoin is more dominant as commodity.
Activity: 70
From my personal opinion, I think Bitcoin is a digital currency. It is the same as physical money however the difference is only it works only through application.
Activity: 336
Merit: 20
Bitcoin is a currency, a commodity and a security as well.
Activity: 714
For me, Bitcoin is very good for an investment so that we could earn lot of money for our direct spending. I cannot see it as a security and commodity due to volatility. Also not for a currency because i only use it for direct spending if really needed therefore Bitcoin is good for alternative investment to earn more fiat.
Activity: 630
I personally consider bitcoin as a unique multi-faceted technology. It can act both as a currency and as a reliable investment. I think that is the reason for its success.
some countries have declared bitcoin a commodity and use taxation as a sale of goods. some countries consider bitcoin a security and use taxation for securities. samzhe bitcoin is a new technology with features like commodities, money and securities.
Activity: 527
Merit: 101
DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi
I agree with the view that bitcoins cannot be assigned to just one label of product, security or currency. It is a combination of all three. The unique bitcoin is that it is so different and so profitable from all sides.
Activity: 434
Despite the fact that bitcoin is now mainly perceived as a commodity and a means of earning, we should not forget that it is a currency. This is very important for its further development and implementation as a means of payment.

Pages:
Jump to: