Pages:
Author

Topic: Does it make sense to have mobile wallet + desktop wallet from same brand? - page 2. (Read 619 times)

Activity: 2464
Merit: 934
How about using this software https://airgap.it/ for making your Android device as a cold storage? I have heard much about it but haven't used it.  Is there any loop holes here
I wouldn't use unknown software for finances. And I wouldn't trust them to do what they say they do.

AirgapIt consists of two parts — airgap vault and airgap wallet. Let's put wallet aside since it'll be connected to Internet. But when the vault never connects to the Internet, where is potential to get comprised?

You know the drill: Verify, don't trust.

If it helps, It's open source [1].

or using a personal computer without Wifi is a better option?
Of course it is. At least this way you know what you're installing, and if you take out the Wifi card, you know for sure it can't connect to the internet.

Well, similarly take out the sim card, turn off wi-fi, turn on airplane mode?

[1] https://github.com/airgap-it
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
How about using this software https://airgap.it/ for making your Android device as a cold storage? I have heard much about it but haven't used it.  Is there any loop holes here
I wouldn't use unknown software for finances. And I wouldn't trust them to do what they say they do. You know the drill: Verify, don't trust.

or using a personal computer without Wifi is a better option?
Of course it is. At least this way you know what you're installing, and if you take out the Wifi card, you know for sure it can't connect to the internet.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 1159
For example if I am going to set up the wallet on desktop then I will have to enter the Private key there. In similar ways when I will set the wallet on my phone then also I will have to set the private key there.

Is it going to be issue to insert my private keys on two different devices?

For sure, you are doing it because you want to spend the money while at your computer and also when you are on the go with mobile with you only. In that case, it is ok to have your wallet login through private keys on both devices. But keep in mind that you do not store a lot of money (or all of it) on the hot storage and also you need to safeguard your devices from malwares etc.

Air gapped wallets can be bought bro.
No.

If you have an old personal computer, you format it and reinstall the operating system. You remove the WiFi card and the Bluetooth. You have made it airgapped already.

Hardware wallet is different entirely. You can buy a hardware wallet but you can not buy an airgapped wallet, you will make it by yourself.

How about using this software https://airgap.it/ for making your Android device as a cold storage? I have heard much about it but haven't used it.  Is there any loop holes here or using a personal computer without Wifi is a better option?
Activity: 854
Merit: 1031
Only BTC
If you are saying that we can not buy an airgapped wallet then what are these wallet.
Those are hardware wallets that are airgapped, and you have to purchase them like every other hardware wallet, take note that it isn't all hardware wallets that are airgapped, many are not. You can find the list of airgapped hardware wallets here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/airgapped-hardware-wallets-5361456

It is common practice that when talking about airgapped wallets we mean wallets that you create yourself on a completely airgapped device that is disconnected from the internet and will never be connected to one. Though it is difficult for newbies to create their own airgapped wallet and use it in a safe enviroment, so for newbies who cannot do this, it is better they buy a hardware wallet. Read to see how to create an airgapped wallet on Electrum: https://electrum.readthedocs.io/en/latest/coldstorage.html
Activity: 1204
Merit: 466
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
If you have an old personal computer, you format it and reinstall the operating system. You remove the WiFi card and the Bluetooth. You have made it airgapped already.

Hardware wallet is different entirely. You can buy a hardware wallet but you can not buy an airgapped wallet, you will make it by yourself.
Are you saying we can not buy air gapped wallets or are you saying the best practice is not to buy one and make them at home by yourself? Because there are many Air gapped wallet that we can buy online just like this articles contains some.

The Best Air-Gapped Wallets

If you are saying that we can not buy an airgapped wallet then what are these wallet. Sorry if i am asking childish question just to clear more i am still learning and hope to get some good replies thanks.
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10537
Keep in mind that having an entirely separate computer is not the only way to create an airgapped wallet. You can either use live Linux OS where you install and run the wallet each time recovering your wallet using the seed phrase you have written on a piece of paper; or you can just install the Linux OS on a bootable removable media like a USB disk to have persistence and store the wallet between restarts.
This old topic explains the second type for example: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/diybitcoin-cold-wallet-usb-stick-creation-step-by-step-guide-853288
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1118
...gambling responsibly. Do not be addicted.
No.

#SWGT CERTIK Audited
You don't buy airgapped 'devices', you create them yourself, by airgapped we mean a wallet that is totally disconnected f.......................
I understand your concerns here buy DIY are not advice able to newbies and air gapped wallet are bought able so why hesitate to make them at home. But still i got your point and thanks for the clarification for the OP here. I do know what airgapped wallet is and still there are many options to buy airgapped wallets but i think if you are not newbie then the best practice is to make one at home and if you are not newbie then it's OK.

It might be what you mean here is the hardware wallet, I never heard of someone selling an air-gapped wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1118
...gambling responsibly. Do not be addicted.
Well, "it depends": you asked for "wallets that are secure", but you should also make sure the OS is secure. If you use the same wallet on different devices, you need to make sure they're all secure.
Will there be an issue? Only if your phone gets compromised. Or your desktop. And that's the issue: you don't know that until it's too late, but by doing so, you're doubling the risk. And that's why I wouldn't do it.
I have both phone and laptop. There was a time I have my seed phrase on Electrum on both my phone and laptop and I used them both for signature campaigns payment. This gives convenience.

I have unstoppable wallet for altcoins. Electrum and Unstoppable wallet with passphrase.

I have my laptop at home. I monitor my trading position at work or while not at home. I may need to transfer collateral or not. Example, I have $100 to risk on a centralized exchange, I opened 10x with $100. The remaining $900 will be on my Electrum wallet. If I am not at home, I am with my phone. If I am getting half close to liquidation, I send coins to my exchange account for my position not to get liquidated. I want to have the wallet only on desktop but my trading strategies can not make that work.

My campaign earning, I moved it immediately I see it.

There are some good reasons to have wallet on both phone and laptop, but we should try as much as possible to avoid malware and online attacks and to leave only little amount of money on online wallets. Because I have the wallet on both devices, it does not still mean I do not have cold wallets.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
You're asking different things. In the title, you're asking if it's okay to install the same wallet on different devices. I'd say that's fine (as long as the wallet itself can be trusted).

Then, you're asking this:
Now I want to ask whether there are Wallets that are secure, synchable in between the desktop app and mobile app together?
I don't think this exists. The transactions (in a HD wallet) will of course be synced through the blockchain, but the wallet itself (including the address labels) won't get synchronized.

For example if I am going to set up the wallet on desktop then I will have to enter the Private key there. In similar ways when I will set the wallet on my phone then also I will have to set the private key there.
That will work.

Well, "it depends": you asked for "wallets that are secure", but you should also make sure the OS is secure. If you use the same wallet on different devices, you need to make sure they're all secure.
Will there be an issue? Only if your phone gets compromised. Or your desktop. And that's the issue: you don't know that until it's too late, but by doing so, you're doubling the risk. And that's why I wouldn't do it.

I think you need to take a step back: what are you trying to accomplish? If you own a small amount in Bitcoin that you can afford to lose, you can just do what you're suggesting. It will be very convenient and you know (and accept) the risk.
But, and I assume that applies to most people: if you want to get an increasingly larger amount of Bitcoin, it's better to create different wallets for different purposes (and that's what I do). Sometimes I use the same wallet brand, sometimes I use the same seed, sometimes it's watch-only, and some are different wallets. That doesn't mean they're all loaded, but that's not really the point.

And then there's privacy. If you have $5 trillion in your mobile wallet, your local barista may be tempted to hit you on the head. And if you buy a jet, you may not want the seller to know you bought 2 jets from his competitor the other day.
Separate wallets for different purposes are great for privacy!
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
It's great that you're considering switching to a new wallet that better meets your needs. There are indeed several cryptocurrency wallets available that offer secure synchronization between desktop and mobile apps. These wallets often use a seed phrase (also known as a recovery phrase or mnemonic phrase) to securely generate private keys and addresses across different devices.
I guess you're referring to hot wallets like web wallets (e.g. Blockchain.com) that need an e-mail and password to log in. If you do use a wallet like that, consider moving to other wallets asap since they are less secure. You also need to depend on another party to make sure you can still access your wallet if you never export your seeds before.
Activity: 2002
Merit: 633
Your keys, your responsibility
It's great that you're considering switching to a new wallet that better meets your needs. There are indeed several cryptocurrency wallets available that offer secure synchronization between desktop and mobile apps. These wallets often use a seed phrase (also known as a recovery phrase or mnemonic phrase) to securely generate private keys and addresses across different devices.
It doesn't offer "secure synchronization", if your wallet lets you access the privatekeys, you can actually access your bitcoins in any wallet regardless of the type of device with the default sync process (fetching data from the blockchain). Maybe you're talking about how to securely import the wallet to different devices, which one depends on how you do it.
legendary
Activity: 2366
Merit: 1206
Okay great I even got the solution of using desktop wallet (x brand) and synching it up with the another iOS app (y brand). So in the above case it seems to be combo of Electrum wallet and Bluewallet. I think I will give this a test run myself and see how it goes. I am doing this because I am mostly going to put it on laptop and use that very less. I will be having this over my phone because I would want to spend them on the go and I do not have viable option right now due to mycelium failure.

I understand the risk of having it on multiple devices but definitely we can have that much precautions while handling them and have best of both the world.
I'm doing this for how many years while here and I never got a problem, when I'm away from home and can't access my PC, I used my mobile phone to access my Electrum wallet to transfer funds and convert to fiat without a problem.  But the most I like on PC version of the wallet has more features than the iOS wallet.  Of course, this is only intended for a hot wallet, not for a cold wallet.

If it is your main wallet, run it on a totally airgapped device or use a hardware wallet, but if it is a hot wallet for spending on the go, then some of your advice here may help.
Air gapped device are the most best advice you have gave here. But sometimes the access to but them is restricted due to the legislation of some countries i hope you understand my words here. But if the OP here has the access to buy air gapped devices then these are the best options but i think his intentions are not to buy any instead of logging in on two different devices.
It might be what you mean here is the hardware wallet, I never heard of someone selling an air-gapped wallet.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1031
Only BTC
Air gapped device are the most best advice you have gave here. But sometimes the access to but them is restricted due to the legislation of some countries i hope you understand my words here. But if the OP here has the access to buy air gapped devices then these are the best options but i think his intentions are not to buy any instead of logging in on two different devices.
You don't buy airgapped 'devices', you create them yourself, by airgapped we mean a wallet that is totally disconnected from the internet and will never be connected to one; it is a DIY wallet. Let's say you download Electrum wallet on a completely airgapped device and verify your download, this wallet holds your keys that won't ever touch the internet, then on another online device you use the master public key of your airgapped wallet to create a watch-only version of the wallet, you use this to create and broadcast transactions that have been signed in your airgapped wallet, that's how it works. Though there are airgapped hardware wallets that you have to purchase, but that's not what my post was about.
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
If it is your main wallet, run it on a totally airgapped device or use a hardware wallet, but if it is a hot wallet for spending on the go, then some of your advice here may help.

And for that i think best practice is not to login on two devices at the same time. Thanks for vouching me here. I really appreciate your concerns.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
you will still be able to bump the transaction fee of Bluewallet transactions, just not in Bluewallet itself but in another wallet?
Pretty much. The stumbling block won't be if your transaction is or is not opted in to RBF, but whether your wallet software supports creating and broadcasting an RBF transaction.

There are already several major pools mining full RBF replacements, such as F2Pool and AntPool. And even although a lot of nodes have not enabled full RBF, it is still fairly easy to get a full RBF replacement broadcast through the network. Given that the average node makes 8 connections to peers, with only 25% of the network running full RBF then each node still has a 90% chance of connecting to at least one full RBF node.

You can take a look here to see all the full RBF replacements being mined: https://mempool.space/rbf#fullrbf
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
Will that matter though, especially since when mempoolrbf becomes the default option on full nodes (right now there is still a little pushback but it seems inevitable that it will be turned on by default at some point in the future), you will still be able to bump the transaction fee of Bluewallet transactions, just not in Bluewallet itself but in another wallet?
The full RBF has been on node settings many months before I posted this: Bitcoin open source wallets that support replace-by-fee (RBF)

There are many nodes that have not change their setting to support full RBF.

When it is time we do not need to discuss anymore about opt-in RBF, nearly all or transactions should have been supporting full RBF.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
Bluewallet supports imports from several standard wallets including electrum and I have done it on the Android Bluewallet.1
Bluewallet supports Electrum wallet seed phrase importation, but know that any transaction made will not support replace-by-fee. Also this will happen if you import private key on Bluewallet. If you want your transaction to support replace-by-fee, use BIP39 seed phrase on Bluewalletnwhich is also the seed phrase that the wallet uses.

Will that matter though, especially since when mempoolrbf becomes the default option on full nodes (right now there is still a little pushback but it seems inevitable that it will be turned on by default at some point in the future), you will still be able to bump the transaction fee of Bluewallet transactions, just not in Bluewallet itself but in another wallet?
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
Bluewallet supports imports from several standard wallets including electrum and I have done it on the Android Bluewallet.1
Bluewallet supports Electrum wallet seed phrase importation, but know that any transaction made will not support replace-by-fee. Also this will happen if you import private key on Bluewallet. If you want your transaction to support replace-by-fee, use BIP39 seed phrase on Bluewalletnwhich is also the seed phrase that the wallet uses.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 755
With the multiple wallets features that exist in Bluewallet, I don't think it will be a problem.

Everything depends on the user. If you feel doubt, there will be a problem, don't do it. Just use the Electrum Desktop to make it calmer even though the benefits of using a wallet in Mobile have ease when traveling.
Sometimes the need when traveling there is a possibility that it does not really require a lot of transactions.

1. https://bluewallet.io/features/
Pages:
Jump to: