Pages:
Author

Topic: donating 50% of the vaccines purchased to the government. - page 3. (Read 437 times)

Activity: 2338
Merit: 365
To be honest, Dutertes response to COVID has been long criticized, and so has been his ruling of the country, so I am really not surprised that they are forcing privately-owned companies to donate half of the vaccines to the government. It seems that he wants to dip his toes in both pools with extracting money from the ADB and extorting companies. But when you are that type of autocrat, anything goes.
I don't follow political news in the Philippines...
But I do agree with you that Duterte's leadership has been criticized for a long time and he doesn't care about it like that. forcing private companies to donate vaccine funds looks like indirect blackmail and is likely to make things worse there.
Activity: 1624
Merit: 163
Now, some private companies are attempting to vaccinate their employees by importing vaccines that are much cheaper but there is a protocol requiring them to donate 50% of the vaccine purchased to the government.  

Their target is most likely big companies who has more than enough to pay for the vaccination of their employees. It's those companies who can afford vaccinations anyway. Most companies will likely wait for free vaccination. Maybe $400 million still isn't enough for the whole population? so that's probably why they are still demanding more from large companies.

I also discovered that vaccines sold in this country are twice as expensive as those sold in other nations

Are you talking about AstraZeneca? I think it's not only the Philippines who is suffering from double the price, other countries are too (like bangladesh, south africa, etc). Probably because richer countries are hoarding them. AstraZeneca is being made in the UK so it's much cheaper in there.

We are falling behind in the SEA since other countries' vaccine programs began a long time ago, while ours, not implemented and resulted in a slew of nonsense conditions that will keep the country behind in vaccination. Take notice that daily cases are approaching 10,000, placing us in the top two categories for most cases in Southeast Asia, and we are currently under ECQ (Enhanced Community Quarantine) for the third time, I believe.

I think we already passed 10k already. I don't know what's happening but it also doesn't make sense for me that the covid cases are increasing daily instead of decreasing even though we already have vaccines available. Why are out government so slow in rolling it out? We're basically evolving, just backwards.
Activity: 616
Merit: 161
To be honest, Dutertes response to COVID has been long criticized, and so has been his ruling of the country, so I am really not surprised that they are forcing privately-owned companies to donate half of the vaccines to the government. It seems that he wants to dip his toes in both pools with extracting money from the ADB and extorting companies. But when you are that type of autocrat, anything goes.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1007
Degen in the Space
When the government asked for money from the ADB Asian Development Bank to purchase COVID-19 vaccines, I found it odd that they were still demanding so much from private companies in my country. We know that people are without a source of income and that businesses are closed due to lockdowns, implying that they aren't making much money from the current pandemic. Now, some private companies are attempting to vaccinate their employees by importing vaccines that are much cheaper but there is a protocol requiring them to donate 50% of the vaccine purchased to the government.  

I also discovered that vaccines sold in this country are twice as expensive as those sold in other nations and that vaccines purchased by local governments would be given to governments in order to target areas with a large number of cases. Well, there's nothing wrong with prioritizing high-risk areas in order to reduce the country's active cases, but I'm also curious about how they want to use the ADB's $400 million vaccine loan. We are falling behind in the SEA since other countries' vaccine programs began a long time ago, while ours, not implemented and resulted in a slew of nonsense conditions that will keep the country behind in vaccination. Take notice that daily cases are approaching 10,000, placing us in the top two categories for most cases in Southeast Asia, and we are currently under ECQ (Enhanced Community Quarantine) for the third time, I believe.

Is there any other country that has enacted a similar mandate?
Pages:
Jump to: