Pages:
Author

Topic: Done something nice today? Sorry, someone else did that! - page 3. (Read 4300 times)

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
Obama acknowledged both individuals and groups.  Quit the black or white garbage when it's clearly both.

He acknowledge both, true, but minimized individual achievements, and glorified the group.

Sounds humble.  Wouldn't that imply that Obama is also minimizing his own victory in the 2008 election?  I.e. he couldn't have done it without the people?

Btw, I don't vote and I don't care for either Obama or Romney.
Activity: 292
Merit: 250
In the future, children will be so individualist that they won't have to be free loading (talk about PARASITES) in a womb for 9 months!

You laugh, but... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_uterus

You may be right. Talk about woman's lib!

O Brave New World!
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
In the future, children will be so individualist that they won't have to be free loading (talk about PARASITES) in a womb for 9 months!

You laugh, but... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_uterus

You may be right. Talk about woman's lib!
Activity: 292
Obama acknowledged both individuals and groups.  Quit the black or white garbage when it's clearly both.

He acknowledged both, true, but minimized individual achievements, and glorified the group.
legendary
See what I did there?  And people have a problem with this...why?

If he had said only the things you highlighted in the second example, then we'd have no problem with it. But he didn't. He also said those things you highlighted in the first example. Those phrases change the meaning of the speech from "Hey, isn't this system we've built together great?" to "Fuck your achievements. That's all the system's doing, you didn't do shit."

Huh

Uh, what?

And if he had only said the things that I highlighted in the first example, then people would have just reason to have a problem with it.  But he didn't.  He also said those things I highlighted in the second example.  Those phrases change the meaning of the speech from, "Fuck your achievements" to "Hey, isn't this system we've built together great?"

Again, see what I did there?

Regardless, here's a fine example.  Your parents made you.  Without your parents, you wouldn't have been able to do jack shit.  So, the reason anybody's company exists to begin with is because of parents.

In other words, no, no company in the history of this entire planet could have been established without others, nor could anything have ever been built without others.

If he had said only the things you highlighted in the second example, then we'd have no problem with it. But he didn't. He also said those things you highlighted in the first example. Those phrases change the meaning of the speech from "Hey, isn't this system we've built together great?" to "Fuck your achievements. That's all the system's doing, you didn't do shit."
Activity: 364
I was wondering where this meme came from.  Definitely taken out of context.  Regardless, what was he even getting at?  His job is to represent me.  If he really wanted to represent me, he'd set up a website where I could vote for myself.  I will never understand why we still vote for people to "represent" us.  No one in the world can represent me.  I'm tired of voting for the best fundraiser, speaker, debater, etc.  Those people aren't qualified to decided anything.

And so, with one truth: These people don't and can't represent me, you take your first step...a step toward anarchy!  Enjoy the ride, its one hell of a rabbit hole!
legendary
Wow...

Ok.  Let's break this down a bit.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for president — because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for president — because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003
That's why no one should respect the constitution of the United States. It's a bunch of "we the people" fascist
 stuff.  Roll Eyes

Fascism is where the government and business elites rule cooperatively. Does that sound like Obama? You can't have it both ways, except maybe in your own head. You really need to look up definitions folks. In and English dictionary it would say: "Fascist -See republican party."

Of course it's fascist, that's why they have giant fasces in both congressional chambers:

"We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people"
"we’re in this together"

well, guess I better leave the country then because this place is going down the shitter

There's always leaving without going anywhere else... http://shiresociety.com/
Activity: 457
Look for the bear necessities!!
"We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people"
"we’re in this together"

well, guess I better leave the country then because this place is going down the shitter
Niemivh? You writing Obama's speeches now?

The problem with Obama is that of course almost none of the rhetoric actually gets transmuted into action.

And what "action" do you propose, nationalizing the entire economy?
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
That's why no one should respect the constitution of the United States. It's a bunch of "we the people" fascist
 stuff.  Roll Eyes

Fascism is where the government and business elites rule cooperatively. Does that sound like Obama? You can't have it both ways, except maybe in your own head. You really need to look up definitions folks. In and English dictionary it would say: "Fascist -See republican party."
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
Activity: 196
Merit: 100

"We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people." Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer? What Obama says is the type of stuff fascists say.

Niemivh? You writing Obama's speeches now?

The problem with Obama is that of course almost none of the rhetoric actually gets transmuted into action.
Activity: 247
I was wondering where this meme came from.  Definitely taken out of context.  Regardless, what was he even getting at?  His job is to represent me.  If he really wanted to represent me, he'd set up a website where I could vote for myself.  I will never understand why we still vote for people to "represent" us.  No one in the world can represent me.  I'm tired of voting for the best fundraiser, speaker, debater, etc.  Those people aren't qualified to decided anything.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004
Activity: 728
This just seems like misdirection.

1) Are his actions/policies encouraging people to be inventive and productive or not?
2) Lets assume they are, under the powers the government is gaining, what is the likelihood the next "george bush" to get elected can misuse them?

This is just more meaningless propaganda. Does anyone really think they are not building on the work of generations before them? Should we also thank all the warlords and monarchs in the past for paving the way to democracy?

legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004
Think of it like a human pyramid of progress. Every human is vital to the success of the pyramid. If you climb on top with something new, you are personally adding to progress.
Pages:
Jump to: