Pages:
Author

Topic: Done something nice today? Sorry, someone else did that! - page 4. (Read 4300 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
I'm currently developing a new bitcoin library/client. I didn't create bitcoin, I didn't create ECDSA, I didn't create TCP/IP, I didn't invent the microprocessor but I am creating something new that I hope will be useful to people and I'm doing it, not the government or "somebody else". Is that a bad thing? Would you rather have zero progress?

In other words, "Yes, I'm standing on the shoulders of giants, but by god, I climbed up there myself!"
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004
Fascists are much more about "the greater good of the nation".

You may not have created the internet but the website business you own (imagine you do), was built by you. Sure we all benefit from cooperation but your business is still yours and your success is the results of your efforts. The business may take ideas from beforehand and businesses will always have suppliers but successful businesses will always add value and this is due to those that own the business and not the government or "someone else".

I'm currently developing a new bitcoin library/client. I didn't create bitcoin, I didn't create ECDSA, I didn't create TCP/IP, I didn't invent the microprocessor but I am creating something new that I hope will be useful to people and I'm doing it, not the government or "somebody else". Is that a bad thing? Would you rather have zero progress?

Also the fact we all benefit from one another is true in a market economy and this is true even when people are seeking their own fortune as their end (Often told as Adam Smith's invisible hand). We support each other by supporting ourselves.

Obama tries to make it out that we are all responsible for one another which is a stupid idea...I guess that particular idea is more communist than fascist so Obama is both fascist and communist? Tongue
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
Fascists, you say? I assume "We stand together" is what fascists say also?

No, that's communists.  Smiley

Yes. Communism >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communism
Activity: 292
Merit: 250
Try a business with no demand Cheesy
Fascists, you say? I assume "We stand together" is what fascists say also?

No, that's communists.  Smiley
If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for president — because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.

"We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people." Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer? What Obama says is the type of stuff fascists say.

Niemivh? You writing Obama's speeches now?
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004
http://didntbuildthat.com/

There appears to be the beginning of a funny new meme on Obama's speech that played down the role individual initiate has in shaping society in attempt to make the government look good. People say Obama was taken out of context. The full passage is nasty though:

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for president — because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.

"We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people." Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer? What Obama says is the type of stuff fascists say.
Pages:
Jump to: