Pages:
Author

Topic: Don't use web wallet - page 2. (Read 717 times)

legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1908
Marketing Campaign Manager |Telegram ID- @LT_Mouse
May 21, 2019, 12:50:55 PM
It's more than 36 hours when I sent them text and still no reply. Should I contact their support once again or wait for their response for 1 more day?

I agree that web-wallets aren't that secure. But they still can't hide your transaction.  Roll Eyes
Blockchain is open to everyone, but the dashboard maintained by them isn't open or isn't controlled by us. Maybe you got me wrong.
Activity: 294
Merit: 53
May 21, 2019, 12:14:13 PM
This doesn't make any sense. Blockchain.com gives you access to your private keys of the addresses and you have 100% access to everything. They cannot hide your balance even if they want to. Everything is visible in the blockchain explorer.

I agree that web-wallets aren't that secure. But they still can't hide your transaction.  Roll Eyes
Activity: 2254
Merit: 831
May 21, 2019, 12:02:52 PM
You just have to securely store the seed. All your private keys will be recovered when you restore your wallet with the seed phrase.
It's simple to secure wallet, so there is no essential requirements to own hardware wallets. Everything can be destroyed due to external unexpected factors, like water, fire, crashes, so many things. There are not completely safe methods to easily secure funds. In my opinion, to avoid all of such terrible things, I choose different means to store and save my seed phrases. Then, if one of them unfortunately destroyed or unable to recover, I can have another to recover my funds from seed phrases.
Activity: 770
Merit: 268
May 21, 2019, 10:39:32 AM
Web wallets work just fine if you are dealing with small amounts and don't want to download a wallet on your computer.  Especially if you are dealing with a bunch of altcoins,you really don't want to be downloading hundreds of different wallets that only have a few dollars on them.

just wanna add a little note here, if most of your crypto is just erc tokens, then you can use metamask or something similar. they're better than your regular web wallet like blockchain. you can use hardware wallet with it too.

Activity: 1358
Merit: 850
May 21, 2019, 09:55:23 AM
Is it enough to store the seed of the electrum or we must have to store the private key of all of the addresses too? I'm using electrum and only stored in seed in 3 physical places.
You just have to securely store the seed. All your private keys will be recovered when you restore your wallet with the seed phrase.
Thank you and yes, I stored the seed phrase securely and that's what I was trying to know. I think 3 places are more than enough to find out after 5 or 10 years  Cheesy
staff
Activity: 2440
Merit: 1616
Crypto Swap Exchange
May 21, 2019, 09:49:21 AM
Is it enough to store the seed of the electrum or we must have to store the private key of all of the addresses too? I'm using electrum and only stored in seed in 3 physical places.
May 21, 2019, 09:28:42 AM
Electrum or any other desktop / mobile wallet has its drawbacks, and before using them everyone should study well how they work, and how to use them properly and safely.
Activity: 1120
Merit: 554
May 21, 2019, 08:16:33 AM
Web wallets work just fine if you are dealing with small amounts and don't want to download a wallet on your computer.  Especially if you are dealing with a bunch of altcoins,you really don't want to be downloading hundreds of different wallets that only have a few dollars on them.

Sometimes the convenience is worth the risk but everyone should make their own decision. 
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
May 21, 2019, 06:26:10 AM
If you want to be in full control of your coins there is no other way then to be in possession of your private keys. In case that you see transaction confirmed on blockchain and address is correct, problem is in your wallet which is probably out of sync, corrupted or outdated. This is something every user can solve, no need to wait for any customer support.

Coinbase is just crypto exchange, and is not perfect as well as others exchanges. I think that in this case OP need to be patient and wait for a response of customer support. Electrum or any other desktop / mobile wallet has its drawbacks, and before using them everyone should study well how they work, and how to use them properly and safely.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 3645
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
May 21, 2019, 06:18:18 AM
Maybe they have found a way to blacklist payments from Gambling wallets. Their terms don't allow such payments:
That's why, I read about similar stories about receiving payments from gambling sources. most of them suspended.

You can not blame Coinbase, but these are rules. In addition, this does not mean that all web-wallets bad.
If you are a newbie, the level of protection offered by most of wallets (even electrum) is one and that is because you may misuse the other security aspects.
Activity: 2842
Merit: 625
May 21, 2019, 05:08:26 AM
Web wallets are risky.
Risky in a way that you don't hold your funds because they don't provide your keys.

We can still web wallet but choose the ones that are reliable enough or use them with a very tiny amount for transfers. I don't use Coinbase but their reputation is well known and they have millions of users that trust them.

As figured out, it's a bug. I also experienced this long time ago with an exchanger, the balance didn't reflected to my account although it's already confirmed on the network. But as soon as I reached the support, they'd fixed it immediately.
Activity: 1050
Merit: 529
Student Coin
May 21, 2019, 04:37:56 AM
That is just a minor problem, you have the blockchain record to support your claim, so eventually that amount will be credited in your balance.
Sometimes we encountered that kind of problem, but as long as the support take care of it, things will be okay.
I am also using electrum and I can vouch it's a good wallet, you can process transaction instantly, outgoing and income reflect faster.
May 21, 2019, 04:07:05 AM
Why not simply change your title to "Don't use Coinbase" since it's the only wallet you are having issues with.

I have not used coinbase but have been using other web wallets and I had no issues.
Web wallets are risky. It's not all about being scammed. A simple mistake of the authority may feel you bored. I'm agreed with Little Mouse, we must have controll over our fund.
Activity: 882
Merit: 301
May 21, 2019, 02:46:40 AM
Why not simply change your title to "Don't use Coinbase" since it's the only wallet you are having issues with.

I have not used coinbase but have been using other web wallets and I had no issues.
legendary
Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209
May 21, 2019, 01:24:22 AM
Most of the newbies are likely to use Coinbase or blockchain.com for receiving payment. ...

Coinbase and blockchain.com are very different. The only thing they have in common is that they both have a browser interface. If you don't know the difference then you don't understand the risks.
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10537
May 21, 2019, 12:28:19 AM
you can't generally tell everyone to to use web wallets! we wallets, like any other tool, have their own purpose and usage and people should learn to only use them for that purpose. for example Coinbase in my opinion is an excellent starting point for newcomers who are lazy to learn more about bitcoin or are "technically challenged" and have trouble with computers in general! someone like that will have a much easier time using a website like Coinbase to buy bitcoin, sell bitcoin, and store bitcoin all in one place in an easy and user friendly way and more importantly in a way that they may even be already familiar with (like using PayPal) and there is nothing wrong with starting with Coinbase in this situation.
but if you are using it to store your bitcoin and if some time has passed and you no longer are a "newcomer" then that is the problematic part.
Activity: 980
Merit: 294
May 20, 2019, 10:20:30 PM

I  know how you feel about this but I agree that you should wait besides it's less than 24 hours after it happened so give them some time. While you also mentioned that you're using it for 15 weeks with no problem so maybe now there's minor issue that occur.

By now I guess you're thinking to move all your funds when you got your bitcoin otherwise don't ever use wallet that doesn't let you hold private.keys moreover a third party wallet.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2943
Block halving is coming.
May 20, 2019, 06:50:31 PM
Why not wait for their support reply? and maybe they can tell you the reason why your bitcoin is not added yet in your coinbase wallet.

I have experienced before that when I received a bitcoin from another exchange to coinbase sometimes no transaction shown in coinbase and I tried to contact their support they tell the reason and solve my problem.

You just need to be patient and wait for their answer they are sometimes busy but in my case, it takes 1 day before it solves my issue at least they are active and I'm sure you will receive a reply from coinbase within 24 hrs.

Coinbase is only good for daily activity but I never heard that someone scam with this wallet until now it's a will known wallet the only problem on using this wallet they don't have a private key backup feature or even seed Mnemonic.
copper member
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1783
฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.
May 20, 2019, 05:24:08 PM
Sorry about the ordeal OP.
Web wallets are not a thing for me. Anytime, anything could go wrong and you account could be locked up due to their stupid terms and conditions and you end up loosing your money.or this reason I avoid them at all costs and instead use the likes of Electrum, mycelium, coinomi etc

A few days back, i had this to say
As for coinbase and those other wallets you have to sign up for, I am personally not a fan of them as your private keys are held by third party services, implying that you don’t really have control of your Bitcoins/cryptos.
Sometimes they even force you to do KYC  in order to use their wallets so if you love being anonymous, I guess you have to stay away from them.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
May 20, 2019, 01:56:29 PM
Stop using web wallet and/or centralized wallet and/or any exchange.
Keeping money/BTC on exchange is extremely risky and not wise thing to do.
Using web wallets is not the same because you say about this two things while on same sentence still.
Web wallets have their advantages for example to handle pocket money. If you loose it, it won't matter that much to you, but you have the ease of use same with android wallets.
Keeping larger amount is another thing. You should choose paper wallet here or hardware wallet.
Pages:
Jump to: