Pages:
Author

Topic: Early Retirement Extreme - page 5. (Read 14405 times)

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
April 06, 2013, 01:18:00 PM
Any of you guys read Jacob Fisker Lund's blog before he stopped being early retired? Basically he made about $40,000 a year as a grad student, lived on about $7,000 a year and saved the rest for 5 years before becoming financially independent. Seems like he could have done it in two years if bitcoin had been in the picture.

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/

I've had this vision of selling all one's possessions for bitcoin, getting down to just what would fit in a backpack and travelling the world for 3-5 years waiting for full valuation to arrive.

Yes I read it a couple of years back, it opened my eyes (further) for the possibilities.

The question is how many coins would it take to retire in 5 years? 25 probably isn't going to be enough. 100 on the other hand and you'd be set for life. Each coin would probably be $50,000. If you have 100 then thats like having a salary of $50,000 per year for the rest of your life, you can retire with 100BTC. You can't retire with 25 BTC unless you're in your 50s-60s.

Please do not assume $50000 per coin. That requires a valuation of ~1T$ which is a lot (I'm assuming 4-6-2013 US $ wrt buying power). Of course one can't help but dream Smiley
Activity: 714
Merit: 510
April 06, 2013, 01:08:38 PM
Any of you guys read Jacob Fisker Lund's blog before he stopped being early retired? Basically he made about $40,000 a year as a grad student, lived on about $7,000 a year and saved the rest for 5 years before becoming financially independent. Seems like he could have done it in two years if bitcoin had been in the picture.

I've had this vision of selling all one's possessions for bitcoin, getting down to just what would fit in a backpack and travelling the world for 3-5 years waiting for full valuation to arrive.

How many BTC precisely would it take? Certainly buy some, but sell all your possessions? Be miserable for then next 3 years? How many BTC would that take?

At a price of $200 per coin, and you buy 25 coins, 5000/200=25, you'll need $5000 just for 25 coins. At this point in time $5000 is reasonable, but it wont be reasonable to get 25 coins when the price is $1000 per coin and it could reach that price by the summer. Suddenly 25 coins is $25,000 and only the most elite rich people can afford it. Of course you could just save your coins and that's wise, as BTC is best for savings anyway.

The question is how many coins would it take to retire in 5 years? 25 probably isn't going to be enough. 100 on the other hand and you'd be set for life. Each coin would probably be $50,000. If you have 100 then thats like having a salary of $50,000 per year for the rest of your life, you can retire with 100BTC. You can't retire with 25 BTC unless you're in your 50s-60s.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
a wolf in sheeps clothing. suckerfish
April 06, 2013, 09:48:39 AM
I want this! nice thread Grin Grin Grin Grin
Activity: 240
April 06, 2013, 08:42:21 AM
also, couchsurfing.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000
Enabling the maximal migration
April 06, 2013, 08:04:17 AM
I've paid a total of about $2k usd in rent over the last 3 years while traveling the world. It's far easier than most think.
Elaborate? Id live a guide post.

If you have a just a shred of cash lying around, its easy to either:

1. Live cheaply traveling in a foreign country (Goa, India or Thailand for starters)
2. http://www.wwoof.org/ is an amazing resource all over the world which provides opportunities for living very frugally in exchange for work. On the low end it could be 10 hours a week for a roof over your head and on the high end it could be 30 hours a week for a room& board with extra perks (training/location/whatever).

If you arent paying rent or a mortgage, its amazing how much extra cash you can have when you are able to make money online living cheaply using one of many options.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000
Enabling the maximal migration
April 06, 2013, 04:44:23 AM
I've paid a total of about $2k usd in rent over the last 3 years while traveling the world. It's far easier than most think.
Activity: 354
April 06, 2013, 04:41:06 AM

Pages:
Jump to: